[Help] Qns about buying lens from ebay

chuanzuya

Nov 27, 2009
I recently came across a power seller on ebay selling the sigma 10-20mm(pentax) for $720 inclusive of shipping, this lens is sold locally for $850-$900+.

There is also a statement saying: import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges.

These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. But we will declare the item as refurbished or used camera parts with below USD50 and this can help you to minimize the tax.

Does anyone know how much will the duties and taxes be? and how will it be charged to my account? help greatly appreciated..

As far as I'm aware, there are no duties on camera equipment, but anything that has a value of more that SG$400 will be subject to 7% GST. They count both the value of the item and the cost of shipping. While asking the seller to undervalue the item on the declaration may be a common way of evading taxes, it is, if not illegal, certainly not ethical.

If you need to pay GST on an item, it will be held at the Immigrations and Customs Authority office at the SingPost Centre. Just go and pay cash/NETS/VISA. I was just there over the weekend; no queue and done in 10 mins.

I recently came across a power seller on ebay selling the sigma 10-20mm(pentax) for $720 inclusive of shipping, this lens is sold locally for $850-$900+.

There is also a statement saying: import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges.

These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. But we will declare the item as refurbished or used camera parts with below USD50 and this can help you to minimize the tax.

Does anyone know how much will the duties and taxes be? and how will it be charged to my account? help greatly appreciated..

GST 7%. Payable to the forwarder when they deliver the goods to your door step

7% gst, but if they do that... then it doesn't apply.

depends on whether you want to take the risk. personally, i won't, but whatever floats your boat.

got it :) thks for the quick replies really helped alot

SGD720 means you end up paying about $50 more for GST.

Still cheaper than buying here.

I would be more concerned about having the item insured if it's going by air mail, and for that to work, it needs to be declared properly. Have copies of ALL transactions/communications and invoices/receipts if the item gets held at Customs as they usually ask for all documents, not just the receipt.

Or you could buy it in Malaysia or HK when you go on a vacation. Less risk involved.

oki thks for the outputs, i will check with the seller regarding insurance.. xD