Help Pros !

Status
Not open for further replies.

munkey

Apr 25, 2007
Hi pros once again i will be seeking your advice accordingly.

This was taken today at the road show at Toa Payoh mrt. It was using WA + Av mode and most importantly bounce flash 45 deg with 580 bounce card.

Ok- problem here lies in that I was taking pictures of the people up on stage, i managed to get real close to the action, i fired a shot and boom. Picture turns out like shiet, for some reason the bounced flash makes their red shirt blend in with the red backdrop- i am puzzled as it was bounced 45 deg up till a limitless ceiling, and it can be considered a relatively 'outdoors' kind of indoor area, the big HDB hub at toa payoh.

Someone pleez advice on the bleeding pictures. thanks.

Qing Bang Mang!

I'm guessing its more to do with your saturation settings.. bounced flash effectively lights both subject and background more or less equally, whereas direct theres light falloff as dist increases..

shld be the saturation settings.. as the red looks too vivid to me too

Your "limitless ceiling" means too high up? Are you very sure the bounce is even effective?

By the way, from the pic I hardly see any bounce from top. It looks direct bounce card yes. For such shot, I would pull down my camera exposure (so background will look darker) and push up my flash (to brighten up the subjects).

OK FYI, camera settings on 40d picture style was +1 sat, so thats as good as it gets, and pic is fresh out of camera with no edit.

hm...... 45 and bounced off card .. what could i be doing wrong its very puzzling. all hi light on the people's shirts are gone. you can barely even see the creases.. i underexposed by about a stop i think, and then fired...

situation like this you need big bounce card, if the bounce card too small, and no ceiling to bounce with, you are wasting flash and battery power.

for this type, direct flash also can, just don't shoot too close up, I mean don't stand too close to your subjects. those too close to you will sure wash out.

and also, compose your angle properly, since the lady wearing red, try not to shoot her against the red b/g, or at least far away from the red background.

use manual mode for flash photography..
too close to subject may not be a good thing actually..
composition to avoid tricky situations..like wat catchlights have said..
u may have ur flash head tilted at 45deg for bounce effect..but judging at ur shot..u r pointing ur lens 45deg down..hence ur flash end up firing off at 90deg which hit the bg of the stage..and some bounce light hitting down direct to subject..hence giving the subject and bg even lighting..

i realise one issue..ur sharpness and focus seem not in fully...a bit missed.sharpness landing point is not there. it seem the carpet is reddish and the shirt is reddish..quite hard to differentiate

Thanks blazer and catchlights,

I think both of your comments were the most relavent, in this case. Of course my pictures arent all **** worthy, its just this one that really annoys me. I can assure you that the lack of sharpness was after uploading to the clubsnap site with some ?? compression issues.

I think the biggest reason for this fk up is due to the RED BACKDROP AND STAGE, plus the organisers told them all to wear RED SHIRTS. so got dilemma already lor. You guys think its the bounce card issue?

How close are you to the subject?
I think the flash is too harsh due to the use of bounce card.
Every tried Gary Fong's Lightspeher or anything to diffuse the flash?
Might help to solve the problem....

do you know what people want is sharp and clear photos?
they don't really bother whether the lighting is soft or harsh, what they care more is you able to give them the photos.

no ceiling no wall for you to bounce the light, even you use whatever device will not really give you the soft light, in the end, you are risking yourself of wasting battery power, flash power, may not even able to get the photos they (customers) want.

for event coverage, many time you need to shoot with direct flash lighting, using direct flash it is not a crime, so go and master shooting with direct flash lighting.

do you know what people want is sharp and clear photos?
they don't really bother whether the lighting is soft or harsh, what they care more is you able to give them the photos.

no ceiling no wall for you to bounce the light, even you use whatever device will not really give you the soft light, in the end, you are risking yourself of wasting battery power, flash power, may not even able to get the photos they (customers) want.

for event coverage, many time you need to shoot with direct flash lighting, using direct flash it is not a crime, so go and master shooting with direct flash lighting.

Sorry boss correct me if im wrong but what youre trying to say here is, shoot with direct lighting for this case?

tks

Sorry boss correct me if im wrong but what youre trying to say here is, shoot with direct lighting for this case?

tks
Yes, no ceiling no wall, bounce on a tiny winny built in bounce flip, that's a waste of flash power.

Btw, the built in bounce flip is meant to create a catchlights on subject's eyes when you doing a ceiling bounce.

nice.. and you would know. thats your namesake.

thanks again ill see how the next one goes then.

Status
Not open for further replies.