help please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

prehistorik

Nov 12, 2009
Singapore West
hi guys!

just a week ago i bought my ever first dslr, a nikon d5000. last sunday we went out to orchard and for the first time me and my wife tested our toy...im very much impressed with its performance and quality. all things we're happening great that day and time until....my wife lost the receptacle of my sony VCT-R640 tripod. (i treasured this tripod so much coz i didnt thought it would fit my D5000, that's why i didnt dispose it, so it saved me money. this tripod came off as a free gift when i bought my Sony DSC-H5 3 years ago) but all of a sudden that treasured time was lost coz my wife (unconciously) removed the receptacle from the camera and left it in the stairways at the Ngee Ann City (outside) while she was doing some photo shoot with her twin sister.

Now, i wont be able to use such. to make matters worst, we went to Sony service centre at Wisma Atria that same day to look if there is an available replacement of what she lost. to make up for her mistake, i asked her TO INQUIRE for the availability of the receptacle of the Sony VCT-R640. but she did not only inquire but quicly decided on her own that she will buy the available receptacle. all these without my consent. and when i asked her how much would the receptacle cost, a whooping S$81 for such size of crap....i couldnt do anything but swallow my anguish. i couldn't retract it because the order has been placed already online....

now i would like to ask you guys,
1) are there shops here in singapore that sells tripod receptacles (the thing from the tripod where you screw on your camera in order to mount it on the tripod)?
2) are receptacles universal in size or do they differ from each brand?
3) if there is, how much would it cost? (i just want to know how money did we throw that day to Sony)
4) what basic tripod (similar to the Sony VCT-R640) would fit in to a Nikon D5000? (i looked for a thread here at CS about price guide on Nikon tripods but there is none except other brands which are very expensive)
5) how much would a nikon tripod cost? (i want to know if the money we wasted to Sony is justifiable or not)

thanks guys!
hope to hear your answers. im so sorry for my long query, i just want to express both my frustration and question here...

A new Sony VCT-R640 cost SGD $93. [Source]

No need to get worked up over small loss... :)

Last edited:
Most of them are specifically sized for a specific tripod... It's not "one size fits all" so it's unlikely you'll find a third-party replacement. Any tripod would fit the D5000, it's a standard tripod mount. Avoid any "Nikon branded" tripod, they're mainly cheap tripods with a nikon sticker on them to give away as freebies.

A new Sony VCT-R640 cost SGD $93. [Source]

No need to get worked up over small loss... :)

oh, i see....i really treasure that tripod coz its lightweight but sturdy enough to hold a weighty Nikon D5000. thanks for this info....

oh, i see....i really treasure that tripod coz its lightweight but sturdy enough to hold a weighty Nikon D5000. thanks for this info....

Anyway, d5k not dat heavy wat.... But of course it also depend wat lens u mount on it:bsmilie:

Bro relax...dont get so workout over such small matter.
I sure your wife is more important then the loss item.

Your wife probably felt your strong anguish, hence she must have bought the receptacle quickly to make up for her mistake. Relax. All these things are just material goods. Not worth getting upset with your wife over a piece of metal/plastic of inconsequential value.

thanks guys! i know that she's more important than my gear...but human as i am i cant help but be frustrated sometimes....

although that day i didnt blow by the time she revealed she lost that receptacle...i was cool but she could feel that i felt bad....

thanks a lot guys!!!

u only kena tripod nia...dat time my MOF dropped my lens and it went die....:cry:

wat to do, can't blame her also...LL got to send in for repair..

heng, repair fee less than $100:sweatsm:

Weighty??? D5000??? Where got?? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.