Help Please ? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloopers

Apr 9, 2008
Hi guys , i'm currrently an amateur in photography and i'm still contemplating on which camera suits me bests and is the best value for money.
As i have just ventured into the complex world of photography, i really want the best out of getting the right camera for myself and thus i have turned to lots of people for help.
Well, i'm currently a student in a local polytechnic and funds for me are quite tight.
But i'm however willing to invest in this artistic hobby in which to take pictures.

I have been looking up this forums and searching around the net for camera reviews etc..
and i've narrowed down my choices to two cameras, one is the Nikon D80 kit which comes with the 18-135 lens , and the other camera is the Nikon D60 kit which comes with the 18-55 lens if i'm not wrong..

Can you guys help me out please ?

Considering my budget (around $1.2-1.5k ) and my lack of skills and knowledge to SLR cameras, which camera is the most feasible to get ?

Thanks in advance. :)

Cheers ,
bloopers.

take note that the d60 needs lenses with built-in af motors

limits your selection a little; also a slightly more basic model

on the bright side, it is newer, and by logical deduction has better noise control

just a quick comparison from the top of my head

personally, i would go for the d80

take note that the d60 needs lenses with built-in af motors

limits your selection a little; also a slightly more basic model

on the bright side, it is newer, and by logical deduction has better noise control

just a quick comparison from the top of my head

personally, i would go for the d80

oh !
i didn't read up about the need to have lenses with built-in af motors..
thanks for telling ! :)
and i don't mind about the camera model being newer and the noise control shouldn't be a major problem for me..
hmm, i just know the price of a nikon D80 kit. it being $1450 (best price offered to me)
do you know how much approximately is the nikon D60 kit ?

oh !
i didn't read up about the need to have lenses with built-in af motors..
thanks for telling ! :)
and i don't mind about the camera model being newer and the noise control shouldn't be a major problem for me..
hmm, i just know the price of a nikon D80 kit. it being $1450 (best price offered to me)
do you know how much approximately is the nikon D60 kit ?

i am not sure, but if you check with the usual reliable shops

and do a proper calling up for quotation, so you can get the best price.. you will not go too wrong

ms colour, cathay photo, john 3:16, alan photo. other than the third one, i believe all of them have websites and contact numbers that you can obtain from a quick search on google with their names :)

remember to ask for the staff name, and have a pen and paper ready to write down the quotes. if you are particular, ask for package, what else comes in the price as well. :)

other points to note include af points, if i'm not wrong. d60 only has 3, someone has just started a thread that he didn't know about so i thought i'd also bring that up. i'm not a nikon user, so i 'm not sure how many the d80 has, but it should have more.

for more in-depth reviews, from non-biased reviewers, you might want to check out dpreview and imaging resource (google these names too). do take note that d60 is from d80 in different era, so reading the content and looking at the crops presented (with regards to image quality, etc) would be a better idea than just reading summaries.

cheers, and good luck with getting your camera

on another note, remember that your budget should include tripod - if you intend to expose for long exposures, e.g. night landscapes; and a dry box or dry cabinet to keep your equipment 's humidity low. that should add about $120-$400 depending on what you buy, and what sort of brands. the second is probably more important than the first.

later on, you might also get filters, etc.. but these are small money compared to lenses and camera body :)

okay cool .
thanks so much for your time and help !
hmm ..
i'll probaby pop down to funan tomorrow to check out the shops.
Thanks again .

okay cool .
thanks so much for your time and help !
hmm ..
i'll probaby pop down to funan tomorrow to check out the shops.
Thanks again .

yes, funan/peninsula plaza are two good places

be careful of worldwide cameras in peninsula, they have been always blacklisted here on cs for having shady dealings.

best to stick to the familiar names like ap/cp/john 3:16, you will be safe to a certain extent

do not get enticed quickly by smooth-talking salesman, make sure you compare prices unless you already know the rough price. :)

happy browsing.

Important question not to forget since your budget is quite tight: Does the price include gst?

Cathay Photo includes, but doesn't hurt to check. Alan Photo doesn't (usually). Dunno about the others.

yes, funan/peninsula plaza are two good places

be careful of worldwide cameras in peninsula, they have been always blacklisted here on cs for having shady dealings.

best to stick to the familiar names like ap/cp/john 3:16, you will be safe to a certain extent

do not get enticed quickly by smooth-talking salesman, make sure you compare prices unless you already know the rough price. :)

happy browsing.

thanks once again for your help :)

Important question not to forget since your budget is quite tight: Does the price include gst?

Cathay Photo includes, but doesn't hurt to check. Alan Photo doesn't (usually). Dunno about the others.

Yeah the price includes GST.
is around $1600 enough to cover the whole cost including GST, Dry cabinet , bags , etc ?

is around $1600 enough to cover the whole cost including GST, Dry cabinet , bags , etc ?

depends on what sort of bag you get.

dry cabinet also depends on size, i can't remember rough price but about $100 i think for the smallest size; if you going to get a lot of lenses, get a bigger one would be good, otherwise, more han enough if you going to start and build up to 2/3 eventually

the rest, you can get later, like filters,tripod la, if applicable :)

With regards to the D80, it as 11 focusing points as opposed to a D60 which has only 3. Makes a lot of difference cause u can choose from 11 points vs 3.

depends on what sort of bag you get.

dry cabinet also depends on size, i can't remember rough price but about $100 i think for the smallest size; if you going to get a lot of lenses, get a bigger one would be good, otherwise, more han enough if you going to start and build up to 2/3 eventually

the rest, you can get later, like filters,tripod la, if applicable :)

wow. haha i'm not splurging that much money on cameras yet but thanks anyway haha.
hmm, i'll just get a small cabinet. :D

With regards to the D80, it as 11 focusing points as opposed to a D60 which has only 3. Makes a lot of difference cause u can choose from 11 points vs 3.

hmm, but the price for a D80 is really high. haha.
and i'm not even sure whether my shooting next time require so many points.
but yeah, thanks for your inputs anyway.. :)

for a 1st DSLR, nothing wrong in getting a low-end one first.. get a feel of having the controls.. no use getting all the features & controls that u will get overwhelmed...

hmm, but the price for a D80 is really high. haha.
and i'm not even sure whether my shooting next time require so many points.
but yeah, thanks for your inputs anyway.. :)

No worries bloopers. All the best with your decision. But do bear in mind that the focusing points are there to allow you to chose where u would like the main area of focus to be at .. so in the D80 u can choose between 11 points spread over the composition vs 3 horizontal in-line ones for the D60. Also just want to reiterate - many have upgraded from the D40/40x and D60 to higher end models because these three cameras cannot auto focus with the older lens. There is quite a huge arsenal of good used lens out there, which you will have to manual focus on D60, which have become the mainstay of photographers in CS - like the 50mm, the 85mm some of the other older / faster zooms. Hope this helps :)

One pt to add, D60 is a bit smaller, so u might have some problems using the buillt in flash with Big lens...May get some shadows when flashing...

No worries bloopers. All the best with your decision. But do bear in mind that the focusing points are there to allow you to chose where u would like the main area of focus to be at .. so in the D80 u can choose between 11 points spread over the composition vs 3 horizontal in-line ones for the D60. Also just want to reiterate - many have upgraded from the D40/40x and D60 to higher end models because these three cameras cannot auto focus with the older lens. There is quite a huge arsenal of good used lens out there, which you will have to manual focus on D60, which have become the mainstay of photographers in CS - like the 50mm, the 85mm some of the other older / faster zooms. Hope this helps :)

i see i see..
so its wiser to just get a D80 because it'll last me for a longer time without upgrading the body itself right ?
i heard of people using the body for a long time while just buying different lenses..
okay cool. thanks again ! :)

One pt to add, D60 is a bit smaller, so u might have some problems using the buillt in flash with Big lens...May get some shadows when flashing...

hmm ..
i see..
taken note.
thanks.. :)

for a 1st DSLR, nothing wrong in getting a low-end one first.. get a feel of having the controls.. no use getting all the features & controls that u will get overwhelmed...

oh, is the D80 considered a low-end one ?
it's in the catergory of a budget SLR, along with Canon EOS 400D if i'm not wrong..
hahah..
correct me if i'm wrong okay?
thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.