[HELP] Picture problem .

loozhengyuan

Jan 16, 2010
I had been taking photos and recently i realised my picture will have a mark on it . And that mark is of a previous photo . This has happened twice in a year . Can someone enlighten me ?

DSC_0321.jpg

huh???? kindly clarify???? :dunno:
or explain further?

As you guys can see from the picture . It was taken indoors at an event i covered 2days ago . But towards the end of the photo , it has an 'inset' of a picture from a sports event i covered 1month ago . This incident happened twice . When i take the photo , it just happens .

My current shutter actuation is 6316 . Not near the end right ?

Last edited:
This sounds more like a corrupt memory card than anything with your shutter.

I had been taking photos and recently i realised my picture will have a mark on it . And that mark is of a previous photo . This has happened twice in a year . Can someone enlighten me ?

Your memory card is is reaching the end of life for read/write actuations. Download your images to a PC and refromat the card using your camera. Don't reformat using a PC. If the symptom happens again, then it's time to buy a new replacement.

Hope that helps. :cool:

It is a memory card problem. Which brand of card are you using?

Copy your photos into your computer, format the card with your camera. I strongly suggest you get a new card.

Have you tried changing to a different memory card and does it still have the same problem?

I using sdhc class 4 Kingston 8gb . I reformat every time I start a new shoot . That's about every 300-500 . Too much reformating caused this ? Which brand of card should I get ? Can a faulty reader caused this ?

Last edited:
Your memory card is is reaching the end of life for read/write actuations. Download your images to a PC and refromat the card using your camera. Don't reformat using a PC. If the symptom happens again, then it's time to buy a new replacement.

Hope that helps. :cool:

Oh? First time I heard this. Didn't know there was such thing.

Actually I think I'm suffering a milder symptom of this problem: I sometimes have corrupted images when I view them on camera. Sometimes they also fail to load on comp.

I using sdhc class 4 Kingston 8gb . I reformat every time I start a new shoot . That's about every 300-500 . Too much reformating caused this ? Which brand of card should I get ? Can a faulty reader caused this ?

All memory cards will suffer from this towards the end of life. When it finally kaput, the image file will be read only and you cannot write to it anymore. To preserve the life, do not reformat as it is not a harddisk. Just a simple "Delete All" of the images when the card is full. When you reformat, the camera will introduce a write and then delete. This is considered as 1 write count.

Any brand you choose does not matter as most memory chips come from samsung. Personally I would use Sandisk SDHC Class 6 or SanDisk Extreme® CompactFlash®.

Oh? First time I heard this. Didn't know there was such thing.

Actually I think I'm suffering a milder symptom of this problem: I sometimes have corrupted images when I view them on camera. Sometimes they also fail to load on comp.

It is not common if you seldom fill up your card. For those who make full use of their cards and/or reformat all the time which is not necessary will see a decreased lifespan of their cards.

Last edited:
So means i should delete regularly and reformat when error occurs .

So means i should delete regularly and reformat when error occurs .

Do not clear the bad pictures yet.

Bring to the Kingston service center. It is at Albert complex. Call first, for the number google Kingston support in Singapore.

There is a lifetime warranty. You might be able to exchange the card for a new one.

I've had some problems with Kingston. Now I am all on Sandisk class 6 and above. No problems so far these few years.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

It is not common if you seldom fill up your card. For those who make full use of their cards and/or reformat all the time which is not necessary will see a decreased lifespan of their cards.
So the preventive measure is to not to fill the card. And delete when necessary, but not to reformat?

Now I am all on Sandisk class 6 and above. No problems so far these few years.

Strangely, I'm using a Sandisk Ultra II, bought not too long ago. And it happens to me :sweat:

I prefer to keep my cards clean and format them every few times I use it. This will reduce the chances of errors and so far, I have not seen any problems even in my 3 to 4 year old cards.

I have the same characteristics as zac08 . I saw from somewhere (I forgot but it's somewhere around here) staying that it's good to reformat frequently . So I picked the habit and now I encounter probs . Nevermind la . I think I going to change this time . Sandisk Class 6 and above right ? I go shop next week . Oh and does memory card reader play a part ? My card reader is only a few dollars . Lol .

I have the same characteristics as zac08 . I saw from somewhere (I forgot but it's somewhere around here) staying that it's good to reformat frequently . So I picked the habit and now I encounter probs . Nevermind la . I think I going to change this time . Sandisk Class 6 and above right ? I go shop next week . Oh and does memory card reader play a part ? My card reader is only a few dollars . Lol .

You can try to get an exchange with Kingston service first.

And yes. Card reader plays a part too. The super cheap ones have very slow transfer rates as well...

Oh and does memory card reader play a part ? My card reader is only a few dollars . Lol .

Yes it does. Some card readers can cause some form of corruption as well. Last time I used a Fuijifilm PnS and it used an XD card. I kept transferring my images through the free card reader (one of the freebies given) and one day I realised that some of my pictures had disappeared or cannot be detected when I wanted to transfer them over. As I happened to be a Fujifilm staff as well then, I checked with the camera technician who told me never to use the car reader coz its usually the first to be corrupted. He advised me to transfer using cable and when I checked my pics using that, everything was intact.

Since then, I minimised transferring my pics either using a card reader or the card directly esp from my 500D. I rather use a less convenient way: the EOS Utility prog. So take no chances!! :)

Now my question remains .

1. Should i use Card Reader to transfer or should i use cable to transfer ?
2. Many 8GB or one 32GB ? Which is more advisable ? Sandisk Ultra okay right ?

Last edited:
Now my question remains .

1. Should i use Card Reader to transfer or should i use cable to transfer ?
2. Many 8GB or one 32GB ? Which is more advisable ? Sandisk Ultra okay right ?

I have quite a number of Sandisk Ultra II and Extreme SD and CF cards. None have failed so far. I have had 1 kingston and 1 lexar failed on me. My other lexar is ok.

It's important to buy your memory cards from reputable shops. There are too many fake ones around.

Do not be "penny wise and pound foolish" when buying memory cards.