[HELP] pic from my fz18 is not sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzyzx

Aug 25, 2007
i went ECP for some random PnS. some of the pictures quality are rather bad. as if it's digitally zoomed. below is two example of the pictures which i crop the center out to show you guys. Len hood is used and my pict adj setting for the camera is contrast +1, sharp +2, saturation +1, noise reduction +2. i DID NOT perform any zooming for the two pics...

Btw the sun is very bright at the time when i shoot these pictures. but i thought the brighter the place the sharper the image will be?

Hmmm why don't you try full-auto mode (P Mode)? Pics should be sharp using P mode. :eek:

Hmmm why don't you try full-auto mode (P Mode)? Pics should be sharp using P mode. :eek:

i'm using P mode btw...

the EXIF detail for the first pic is f/8, 1/500sec, ISO 100, -0.3step and 2nd pic is f/8, 1/640sec, ISO 100, -0.3step

The Panny noise reduction usually is quite strong (blame small sensor) so the processing engine normally ends up smudging the edges and basically creates the 'not sharp situation'. reducing the NR or even off it in RAW development will show 'sharper' images, though at the expense of more image noise.

The Panny noise reduction usually is quite strong (blame small sensor) so the processing engine normally ends up smudging the edges and basically creates the 'not sharp situation'. reducing the NR or even off it in RAW development will show 'sharper' images, though at the expense of more image noise.

hmm... now i'm actually quite confused with whether to set +2 all the way for NR or like you said, to off it or even reduce it to perhaps -1 or -2... that's because at times i really find the NR is useful in reducing noise effectively... i actually experimented the NR setting and settled at +2 after comparing the IQ but today it failed on me? hmm....

NR tends to smoothen out the single colour areas, but at areas of high contrast like edges sometimes the NR simply smudges the edges noise and reduce contrast, resulting in a water color type of effect. One more reason to shoot RAW actually, takes up more space but you can adjust to balance out noise and sharpness...If photos are underexposed there tend to be more noise, and with a gungho NR engine like the Venus III, it becomes not very sharp sometimes

Anyway sharpness is not only the function of correct exposure, there is a whole lot of stuff that determines sharpness

Maybe turn off NR altogether and see what happens.

NR tends to smoothen out the single colour areas, but at areas of high contrast like edges sometimes the NR simply smudges the edges noise and reduce contrast, resulting in a water color type of effect. One more reason to shoot RAW actually, takes up more space but you can adjust to balance out noise and sharpness...If photos are underexposed there tend to be more noise, and with a gungho NR engine like the Venus III, it becomes not very sharp sometimes

Anyway sharpness is not only the function of correct exposure, there is a whole lot of stuff that determines sharpness

i see... pls advice me on the this.. my current setting is:

contrast +1
sharpness +2
satuation +1
NR +2

will it be better if i change it to:

contrast +1
sharpness +1
saturation +1
NR -2

btw i got this setting from dpreview forum..

Not a matter of 'better' or not I suppose, but a matter of your own preference.

I think what will be good is if you can do a short test, for example leaving the NR at +2, 0 and -2 whilst leaving other settings at neutral or +-1 and take the same scene, then looking at the results to see what is preferred. And for OIS, it is recommended to use mode 1, it only activates at the time of capture instead of all the time at mode 2 and apparently gives sharper images, although the shaky view through the EVF @ 420mm may induce some sickness;p

Not a matter of 'better' or not I suppose, but a matter of your own preference.

I think what will be good is if you can do a short test, for example leaving the NR at +2, 0 and -2 whilst leaving other settings at neutral or +-1 and take the same scene, then looking at the results to see what is preferred. And for OIS, it is recommended to use mode 1, it only activates at the time of capture instead of all the time at mode 2 and apparently gives sharper images, although the shaky view through the EVF @ 420mm may induce some sickness;p

okie will try and see...

btw i got this setting from dpreview forum..

The settings are based on personal preference. Why not reset it to default, and slowly adjust from there?

I bought a FZ18 about 2 weeks ago too.. I'm quite satisfy with it.. here are some pics take with it..
1548688945_15c0a1c7b1.jpg

1548689007_5b3a9d5303.jpg

these 2 pics were taken hand-held btw..

I bought a FZ18 about 2 weeks ago too.. I'm quite satisfy with it.. here are some pics take with it..
1548688945_15c0a1c7b1.jpg

1548689007_5b3a9d5303.jpg

these 2 pics were taken hand-held btw..

wow... wat is your pict adj setting?

for me is contrast +0, sharp +1, Saturation +1, NR -2 for now...

at the point where the photos were taken.. the settings were:
contrast 0
sharpness 0
saturation 0
NR 0

i din adjust anything cause i still new to the camera heheh

maybe to share a little experience i had with the FZxx ... they usually do very well for macro shots and close ups... but when it comes to pictures of scenery, or shots from a distance... i find them very disappointing... the pixels just simply don't do justice... but if you develop them for a 4R its pretty ok...

so if you want to really get a sharp digital picture... you may want to consider something else... something which is bigger... bulkier... :sweat:

ehh... i guess my pict adj setting is set too high for my NR thus causing the pic to turn out bad. after reducing the NR, i'm quite satisfied with the output for every pic i took. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.