Help! Photos looks different!

dzulfazly

Feb 24, 2012
Singapore
www.dzulfazly.com
Hi, guys. I edited my photos using light room and Photoshop on a windows laptop. It looks fine on my laptop screen but when I view it on my iPad, Android or iPhone, it looks different (by different I mean it looks more saturated)

it doesn't help cause my style of editing is with punchy colors and with the extra saturation given off by these devices it becomes not too my taste.

I realize it may be a screen calibration issue, but I'm trying to find out if my editing techniques are the actual problem.

This what I normally do:
Image size: 72 dpi for website
Color settings: sRGB
Bit: 16 bit

Is there anything wrong with my settings?

Calibration may be the only problem in this case...

if your screen is not calibrated, you are not able to "judge" colors/temperature correctly and thus over/under saturating and or even have wrong white balance.

And just a note... for Laptops, it may be abit tricky if your screen does change colors from different angle. My old laptop screen turns "black" when viewing from a side view instead of straight on. So do take this into consideration too when calibrating and post processing.

Nothing wrong with your setting. It is because those mobile devices are not color-managed. Meaning they do not honor ICC color profiles.

For more info, read this;

The iPad Workflow: Connect

Hi, guys. I edited my photos using light room and Photoshop on a windows laptop. It looks fine on my laptop screen but when I view it on my iPad, Android or iPhone, it looks different (by different I mean it looks more saturated)

it doesn't help cause my style of editing is with punchy colors and with the extra saturation given off by these devices it becomes not too my taste.

I realize it may be a screen calibration issue, but I'm trying to find out if my editing techniques are the actual problem.

This what I normally do:
Image size: 72 dpi for website
Color settings: sRGB
Bit: 16 bit

Is there anything wrong with my settings?

Nothing wrong. The issue is mobile devices. They are NOT an accurate tool for showing or editing images, and are usually extra saturated just to make people go "oooh" and "aaah" at the colors.

If your android device is a samsung, it's even worse. OLED is massively saturated, and also has a blue/green cast to it.

Your desktop PC is correct. Do not use mobile devices with "sheep friendly" color, contrast and saturation settings as a reference, no matter what the Apple ads may tell you.

agree with the seniors above
if your screen is calibrated then the image should be ok

if you are using Datacolor spyder for calibration there is a app on the Apple market to help you use the Spyder to calibrate your iPad screen
Not sure about other brands though

It may be the fact that you've overdone the adjustment. Imo, what matter most is
the print out that looks good instead of the display on your laptop/ iphone.
In lightroom, some pro suggest to bring up the vibrance & bring down the saturation or
the opposite. This would make the photo looks more natural. Increasing both saturation &
vibrance would very often make the image over saturated if not done corretly.

the screen factor of diff mobile device - different mobile display differently. even when print also depends on whether the printer is adjusted or not.

recently I upload a edited photo to fb, it became totally out, colour everything all different, then i sent for photo print in shopping center, come out all very dark, in the end print at home.

Nothing wrong with your settings. Ever watch the new ipad commercial? It boasts color more vibrant than life or whatever and I remember swearing under my breath "to bulls*it the consumers." Try mailing the pics back from ipad to laptop see if its the same. As others had stated, it's prob just the color profile of the device.