[HELP!] Overseas trip- What kind of storage device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eunique

Apr 24, 2005
Sunny Singapore
Hi all, I'll be going on a 2-3 weeks overseas tour with my family in May. I own a Lumix FZ5 and I do expect that I'll be shooting a lot of pictures during the trip. I don't wish to compromise on the image quality, hence I'll be shooting at the highest range (5megapixels) which my camera offers.

Would like to ask whether there is any compact storage device with large storage space yet does not need to use any computer as proxy (i.e. which camera can be directly connected to in order to transfer all the pictures) which I can purchase?

I have thought that alternatively, I could buy/borrow more 1GB/2GB SD cards (are there any SD cards of larger storage?), or try to find a computer during the tour to upload them onto my website. But I don't really like the latter idea, cos there's no gurantee that the computer there has any spyware that may be able to tap into my password/infomation.

Hope to hear all your suggestions and inputs!
Thank you! :)

Get one of OTG Function, like Digimate III, etc.

Another method, is to get plenty of cards. Now only around $30 for every 2G (SD CARDS)

If it is just for this trip, perhaps you should seriously consider bringing a laptop along. Otherwise, getting such a device can set you back by a couple hundred of bucks easily. It is worth buying if you are going to use it regularly. CompactDrive and DigiMate are some of the portable storage devices that can be used without a computer.

If those places have cyber cafe, you can consider burning cd's. However, this is an option only if you are very sure about the availability of such cafes.

By the way, ensure that you have spare cards. I've encountered people who brought along just one card for a 15-day holiday. Luckily I was there to help out by transferring their files to my laptop temporarily.

Enjoy your holidays.

What you need is a portable storage device which allows you to transfer your media to the storage directly without any computer.

Hi all, I'll be going on a 2-3 weeks overseas tour with my family in May. I own a Lumix FZ5 and I do expect that I'll be shooting a lot of pictures during the trip. I don't wish to compromise on the image quality, hence I'll be shooting at the highest range (5megapixels) which my camera offers.

Would like to ask whether there is any compact storage device with large storage space yet does not need to use any computer as proxy (i.e. which camera can be directly connected to in order to transfer all the pictures) which I can purchase?

I have thought that alternatively, I could buy/borrow more 1GB/2GB SD cards (are there any SD cards of larger storage?), or try to find a computer during the tour to upload them onto my website. But I don't really like the latter idea, cos there's no gurantee that the computer there has any spyware that may be able to tap into my password/infomation.

SD card i think have 4, 6, 8GB, provided your camera is able to utilise...

anyway, 5MP isn't alot, unless you are shooting RAW & Jpeg. With 2gb, can easily take 300 pics per card... unless you are a machine gunner, else 5x 2G would be more than enuff...

SD card i think have 4, 6, 8GB, provided your camera is able to utilise...

anyway, 5MP isn't alot, unless you are shooting RAW & Jpeg. With 2gb, can easily take 300 pics per card... unless you are a machine gunner, else 5x 2G would be more than enuff...

There are non-SDHC 4GB SD cards IIRC, are they available here and compatible with the D50? Also, what's a reliable HDD backup device with good battery life? 30mins isn't really going to cut it IMO. I have an X Drive II and battery degradation means battery life is only like 5mins or so now, so I need one that will still stay on longer than that even after a few years.

There are non-SDHC 4GB SD cards IIRC, are they available here and compatible with the D50? Also, what's a reliable HDD backup device with good battery life? 30mins isn't really going to cut it IMO. I have an X Drive II and battery degradation means battery life is only like 5mins or so now, so I need one that will still stay on longer than that even after a few years.

One recommendation I can thing of is Digimate III, it is using removable battery, the cost of Digimat III is around $60-75 without HDD. The battery is compatible with Fujifilm P&S camera, can get a compatible one for around $20. You can use back the HDD of the X Drive.

I guess the file size for 5M pixels should be around 3M bytes, a 2G SD card should be able to take around 600 shots, 2 x 2G SD cards should be able to take up to 1200 shots, do you think you will shoot up to that number of shots? a 2G SD card cost less than S$25 from SLS.

for fz5, iirc 2GB sld be able to get u nearly 1k or more shots... iirc it showed 22x shot with my pathetic 512MB under JPG L Fine.
2x 2GB sld be enough (for me:D), if worry you can always get more.

But.... first he/she must have an IPOD, secondly even if he/she has an IPOD, then need to buy the camera connection which cost about $58 (price might have changed), for that amount, you can get 2.5 x 2G SD card.

thanks for all your replies, peeps! :)

think I'll go with either three 2GB SD cards (just in case), or get a Digimate III as suggested (though it's a tat ex at about $100+), since my cousin who's coming along for the trip, will also be taking lots of shots.

thank you all!

p.s. for the record, I don't have an iPod.. want to sponsor? ;) heh, jus kiddin'!

One recommendation I can thing of is Digimate III, it is using removable battery, the cost of Digimat III is around $60-75 without HDD. The battery is compatible with Fujifilm P&S camera, can get a compatible one for around $20. You can use back the HDD of the X Drive.

Hey now why didn't I think of that :D Alright thanks for the recommendation!

You can try Vosonic VP8360 or 8390 for better screen display quality.

I used Digimate III before and I faced that sometime it does not copy all images from card and we don't know until we get back home.

Something with screen to check is better.

Cheers //

I used Digimate III before and I faced that sometime it does not copy all images from card and we don't know until we get back home.

Cheers //

Haha, I always feared that with my X Drive so I would press the 'copy' button twice. How often does this occur?

Haha, I always feared that with my X Drive so I would press the 'copy' button twice. How often does this occur?

It happened twice in 6 days trip to Nepal. I lost about 200 pics (Raw+LJPG) .. BOO :embrass:

Cheers //

I also use digimate III before, although it didn't happened to me, the fear is always at the back of my mind, that is why I changed to Vosonic VP8360 now. The only issue is $$ difference = Digimate III cost around $70, and I paid $450 for the 8360 (price might have been lower now).

I tot P5000 is already out.

ANyway, all these options are getting more and more expensive leh.

Or Epson :thumbsup:

I owned the creative Zen-W before and now I am still having the Epson P2000 and Vosonic 8360. This is my oponion:

Display quality: Epson:thumbsup: > Creative Zen-w > Vosonic 8360
Ease of use & functionality : Vosonic:thumbsup: > Creative Zen-W == Epson
Size: Creative:thumbsup: > Vosonic > Epson
Price: Vosonic = Create Zen-W :thumbsup: > Epson

I will keep the vosonic and sell away the Epson P2000 soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.