Help on Trip to Redang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violett

Jan 17, 2002
North
violett.clubsnap.org
Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Redang Island, having not been there before, I do not know which resort is value for money, the tips and also the Must-try and Please- Avoid things there.. Those who have been there, please provide some info..

Thanks a million... ;)

Originally posted by Violett
Hi all, I'm planning a trip to Redang Island, having not been there before, I do not know which resort is value for money, the tips and also the Must-try and Please- Avoid things there.. Those who have been there, please provide some info..

Thanks a million... ;)

http://www.redang-island.com/

http://www.pinganchorage.com.my/redang_island.htm

http://www.redangkalong.com/

http://www.redang.com.my/

You going there for a dive? If you are, there're dive operators who organise regular trips up there and will settle pretty much everything for you - day/night dives, lodging, food and all.

If you're going there on your own, do be aware that Redang is made up of two beaches. A main 'L' shaped beach and a smaller side beach.

Stay along the main beach if you can. It's better. Both beaches are within walking distance from each other. (15 minutes walk).

Only one hotel on the island has piped hot-water. You'll have to bathe in cold-water everywhere else. Most resorts however have air-conditioned bedrooms. Your resort stay will include rooms + most/all meals, so don't pay extra for food - unless you order something special.

Things to do:
1) Dive - if you're certified
2) Snorkel
3) Laze around, no nothing
4) Beach volleyball
5) Trek - if you're up for these kindsa things.
6) Take tons of photos.

enjoy!
rOCh

Hi Violet, hope you won't get sea sick easily. Heard from friend who went there, half the ferry passengers were sea sick (including herself) after reaching the Island. I heard the journey is 1 to 2 hours and a bit rough. ;)

May be Roch can tell you more about the ferry journey.

hi! i believe we had discuss this during HWZ time.. anyway here it goes again!

most importantly, be prepared for a long 10 hrs overnite coach ride to the jetty followed by a 2-3hr ferry ride and another 10-20min bus ride... but if u r going on ur own, i think u can take a domestic flight to terangganu airport, from maybe JB? i'm not sure abt this part. can check it out with ur agency.

the resort i went to is the berjaya redang beach resort (note: berjaya also has a golf resort on a hill) nice place.. it has its own stretch of beach surrounded by 2 ridges. there is a pontoon bridge rolled out where u can walk on it to a dist frm the shore and feed the fish!

snorkelling is no prob as the water is very calm. i suggest u buy ur own snorkelling tubes unless u dun mind sucking on tubes used by others!! hehe.. goggles and flippers can be rented there. canoe can also be rented. fishing trip can be arranged.
there'll also be a bus which runs to the town and other parts of the island beach at interval. there is a gift shop which sells disposable underwater camera for RM$60 if i'm not wrong.

in case u can't live without hot water *:D* berjaya does have heater.

like wat rochkoh said, i wld also suggest that u stay at the main stretch of the beach where there are many other resorts and plenty of sand! i believe they filmed the show Summer Mo Mo Cha along this stretch.

some pics of the Berjaya Redang resort which i had also posted b4 during HWZ time.. gosh... i miss that place.....

have a nice trip!

redang3.jpg
resort.jpg
redang2.jpg

Originally posted by Kevin
Hi Violet, hope you won't get sea sick easily. Heard from friend who went there, half the ferry passengers were sea sick (including herself) after reaching the Island. I heard the journey is 1 to 2 hours and a bit rough. ;)

May be Roch can tell you more about the ferry journey.

Yup, the ferry ride can be quite unsettling, depending on the boat and the weather. Took a speedboat the last couple times i went there. Calm seas. But the ride back from the island was rather slow and painful. Basically, don't go there with your LV designer luggage.

1-2 hours is generally the duration of the journey. This is considerably better than the 5-7 hour bumboat-marathons to Pulau Aur/Pulau Dayang.

Hackie's right. Believe Berjaya's the only respectable resort/hotel there. So if you're a creature of comfort, that's the one to stay in. Naturally, do expect to pay more. Do note that it's not situated along the main beach like the other resorts are. Think i faces a Turtle Sactuary nearby or something. Perhaps Hackie can tell you more.

I trust you already have plans to reach the Island. If you need help on that, let me know.

Originally posted by rochkoh

Basically, don't go there with your LV designer luggage.

eerrr.... LV luggages are designed to float cos olden days pple take a lot of ferries mah! :D

1-2 hours is generally the duration of the journey. This is considerably better than the 5-7 hour bumboat-marathons to Pulau Aur/Pulau Dayang.

i'm preparing myself for this to go fishing there... :(

Hackie's right. Believe Berjaya's the only respectable resort/hotel there. So if you're a creature of comfort, that's the one to stay in. Naturally, do expect to pay more. Do note that it's not situated along the main beach like the other resorts are. Think i faces a Turtle Sactuary nearby or something. Perhaps Hackie can tell you more.

i'm not sure abt the turtle sanctuary thing.. but i think its pretty near to the protected reefs. was shown the map cos i wanted to go for the round the island boat trip (which was cancelled cos no other guests registered!!! btw i went at the offpeak end march)
now shld be a good time as the monsoon had already passed.

i also have no idea how much the other resorts cost. the package i took to Berjaya Redang (including coach, ferry, breakfast, accomdation) is $369 if i'm not wrong. Perhaps u can check it out with Gunung Raya at Golden Mile. most of the agencies there charges the same as they pool the pple going together in the same coach (the onli passengers on the coach are the drivers, my gf and i!!)

the coach will reach the jetty real early at abt 6-7 plus (ferry arrives at 11).. make sure u walk further up to the market/shop houses there for ur breakfast! yummy satays and toasted bread + kopi!!

errr... dunno wat else shld inform u abt.. any question juz shoot! i'll try my best to help! :D

Originally posted by willyfoo
Can you see nice fish & corals when you snorkel??

u can see some parrot fish when snorkelling near the shores.. but if u really want beautiful coral fish + reefs, u must go for the coral snorkelling trip!! plus whack the underwater housing for ur 707 lah! :D unless u dun mind the bluish cast of the disposable camera film... can't remember which brand liao..

Originally posted by hackie

u can see some parrot fish when snorkelling near the shores.. but if u really want beautiful coral fish + reefs, u must go for the coral snorkelling trip!! plus whack the underwater housing for ur 707 lah! :D unless u dun mind the bluish cast of the disposable camera film... can't remember which brand liao..

Time to take a visit to Planet Travelers... :)

Originally posted by hackie

Looks like if I get the underwater housing the coral snorkelling trip is a must...

How much is it and how do I get more information on it??

Originally posted by willyfoo

Looks like if I get the underwater housing the coral snorkelling trip is a must...

How much is it and how do I get more information on it??

the coral snorkelling trip? i can't remember.. ard RM$100 i think.. ;)

Get a underwater disposable camera!! Its a must!! Go snorkel and take photos!
:)

I didnt get to do it, lack of funds the other time i went there.
Only took 2 shots of the boy helping on the boat. Haaaa

WOw.... thanks for all the kind comments... I am having a headache over which resort to choose now... :rolleyes: and the packages that they offer etc...

Originally posted by sbs99
Get a underwater disposable camera!! Its a must!! Go snorkel and take photos!
:)

I didnt get to do it, lack of funds the other time i went there.
Only took 2 shots of the boy helping on the boat. Haaaa

Yah, disposable camera good enuf. There're two main types:
a) Kodak $17.00-$19.50 - Up to 3 meters depth. Okay for snorkelling cause you'll never dive past 3 meters.
b) Fuji $30something - Up to 10 meters depth. You won't need this if you're just snorkeling.

My friends alternate between the Kodak and the Fuji ones on our dive trips. Generally okay (bordering on the crappy) shots. But we're not dive photographers - yet.

The underwater housing just for snorkeling is overkill - unless you have tons of excess cash to burn.

some picture of Redang to make you drool. But its true, Redang is getting more and more crowded, and more people there means more rubbish and more harm to the envirnoment. Especially Sinaporean who brought their littering behaviour there as well.

not mine but taken from the web

galleryredang1-3.jpg

galleryredang1-1.jpg

berjayaredang_beach.jpg

will post some real pictures taken on C2040 when I am back.

Status
Not open for further replies.