Help on taking Group photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuminlee

Nov 21, 2006
Tiong Bahru
when taking group photos, i always see those ppl pointing their camera down ( like to our feet level) then point back to our face before they take the shot.

why they need to do that? and what is the difference btw shooting directly with and without pointing down??

Really? They point down, then up? If someone is only using the central focusing point of his camera, then he might point up first to focus on a person's face, then point back down to recompose the picture such that the face(s) is(are) not in the dead centre of the photo. With cameras that have multiple focusing points, this my not be necessary.

I can't imagine why he would point down first, then up though.

maybe he's trying to take a spot metering measurement, to see if the lower body will be underexposed if he exposes for the face.

As in point down but holding the camera away from the eye? Maybe just dialing in the settings?

if it is a outdoor situation, more likely is take a meter reading without including the sky areas, and to lock the AE, recompose to shoot, however, if this is the case, why don't simply use manual mode?

he looks like focusing to our feet as his eyes still at the viewfinder. so ruled out the possibility to check settings. then he point the camera up to our face then take the shot.

looks to me that he is locking the focus point or something . but why he want to do that?

yes .. it happen to outdoor. but i saw him doing same action when we were indoors.

Who is "people" that you mentioned?

so far i saw 2 photographer doing that.

1st is a photographer working or hired by a activity organiser company. that company organized one of my company outing activity.

2nd one is on my friend's wedding. when we go my friend's house to 'snatch' the bride. hehe

by the way, the 2 group photos taken by the 2 event is clear but normal.
i didn't see anything 'special' abt the photo. that's why i need some answer here.

by the way, the 2 group photos taken by the 2 event is clear but normal.
i didn't see anything 'special' abt the photo. that's why i need some answer here.

Possible answers were already given btw ;) It's possible that there were too many people with white / black shirts that over/underexpose the frame, so he could've metered the ground, changed his settings (or AE lock) and shot the frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.