Help on Spyware need

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
Is there any Anti spyware product around better than Ad aware and Spybot ? After i did a thorough scan using Ad-aware and spybot , both detect something and i've deleted it, but after i access IE , it came back again ... any IT experts around can shed some light ?? :sweat:

poohbear said:
Is there any Anti spyware product around better than Ad aware and Spybot ? After i did a thorough scan using Ad-aware and spybot , both detect something and i've deleted it, but after i access IE , it came back again ... any IT experts around can shed some light ?? :sweat:

is your homepage being hijacked? with some p0rn site or seach site? if so u need to get cws shredder..

You may need to find specific removers for the "spyware" that's running.
If it happens to be some "cool web" thingy, there's a "cool web shredder". Run a search on the web for this and you should be able to find the remover.

I've run Ad aware on my office pcs and some are affected by "cool web", so I had to look for specific remedies.

Adiemus said:
If it happens to be some "cool web" thingy, there's a "cool web shredder". Run a search on the web for this and you should be able to find the remover.

I've run Ad aware on my office pcs and some are affected by "cool web", so I had to look for specific remedies.

cool web is typical.... now the more serious one is about:blank hijack... which didnt show u what page on your address bar... but instead a blank page.. that's harder to remove than normal homepage hijacks

another type of spy ware hijacking is having a search bar displayed at the bottom of your screen whenever you start IE. This is most likely the LOP ware. Just search for LOP removal on the net and you should have it removed easily.

most of these irritants need specific removal tools.

Adiemus said:

Ok i give it a try ... thks for the help :bsmilie:

I find Giant antispyware to be very efficient. Its much better than ad-aware, or spybot. CWS Shredder is pretty limited. The only catch is, you have to pay for it. There is the 15-day trial download though.

It's very useful in removing spywares like marketscore, which both adaware and spybot have a hard time detecting.

This might sound bad but you could upgrade to XP SP2. My IE version now is 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 and I don't have much problems.

You may want to try spysweeper.

Evaluation program + First time update free. Subsequnce must subscribe.

http://www.webroot.com

Forgot to mention that it has real-time homepage protection.

I usually go to the Windows registry and delete it from there. However please don't do this unless you know what you are doing or else your Windows will windooze. The problem with Spyware is you need specific one for a specific problem. The other choice is do what Mad dog say...upgrade to XP SP2.

Sorry to burst your bubble bros but although sp2 activates popup blockers and and such, it is still vulnerable to spyware attacks. Seriously you'll need to have a proper antispyware application installed. Cause my workplace already using sp2 and its still attacked. I spent 80% of the time nowadays removing them.

And just because the popup doesn't appear, doesn't mean the hooks aren't still there. In this case what it'll do is redirect the traffic to its own proxy and monitor your surfing habits and the worst thing is....you'll never know its there (hence "spy"ware).

Just a tip, make a search for a file called osmim.dll or osxproxy.dll, they usually reside in the systemroot directory. Used a spyware remover to get rid of them, and after that repair your winsock - cause most of the time it has already been corrupted and if you don't do this after you remove the file, you will not be able to surf.

Status
Not open for further replies.