HELP!! on Speedlite Flashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtyone

Dec 13, 2008
Hi, I'm gonna get a "1st hand" 580exll Flash, apparently the seller say it's brand new, so let's take it as buying a brand new set. It's going at $660. Is it cheap?? How much is the market price now? Please help! I don't wanna rise buying from a stranger when if the market price is going ard $660~$680 kind of price..

Btw, to reassure a good buy, those speedlite flash users, is having a external flash really of importance compared to built in flash?

Need serious advice!!! thanks guys!!

ps. Even built in flashes have diffuser itself, in that case, is buying an external flash still worth it??

Last edited:
Hi, I'm gonna get a "1st hand" 580exll Flash, apparently the seller say it's brand new, so let's take it as buying a brand new set. It's going at $660. Is it cheap?? How much is the market price now? Please help! I don't wanna rise buying from a stranger when if the market price is going ard $660~$680 kind of price..

Btw, to reassure a good buy, those speedlite flash users, is having a external flash really of importance compared to built in flash?

having an external flash, especially 580EXII... u get more option when firing it...

1) If you don't know whether you need a certain piece of equipment; whether it is only "good to have" or "Must Have" for your style of photography then just keep your wallet closed. No point asking others for assurance about things that you need to pay. If you are unsure then read up first. This forum and the internet is full of pages about flash photography. Keep in mind that flash might need other equipment on top: colour gel, reflector / diffuser, batteries etc.
2) Have you tried browsing this forum? After 36 posts you should have had some time to read all the subcategories to find the Price Guides in the Market Place forum.
Do your homework and think about what YOU need.

ps. Even built in flashes have diffuser itself, in that case, is buying an external flash still worth it??

Go MS Color buy. It's only $699 cash price.

You're willing to splash out over $600 for a piece of equipment which you seem to know little about, let alone its value? Wow. Amazing.
Is that your modus operandi? Buy first, figure out later?

You're willing to splash out over $600 for a piece of equipment which you seem to know little about, let alone its value? Wow. Amazing.
Is that your modus operandi? Buy first, figure out later?

That's altruistic, he's trying to help economy ;)

If I were to flash, I will never use the on-camera flash. Definately a speedlight or strobe, or better still have it off-camera with a wireless trigger. If I do not have a external flash unit with me, I'll shoot with avaliable light than use the built in flash. For snapshots, i'll still cringe at using the on-camera flash.

It's going at $660. Is it cheap?? How much is the market price now? Please help! I don't wanna rise buying from a stranger when if the market price is going ard $660~$680 kind of price..

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

i dun even wanna quote the rest....

Price, I cannot advise. For me, if the warranty has been registered, knock $100 dollars off from current street price. If you don't need now, then buy later.

Don't forget the primarily purpose of flash is for illumination. No only for portrait, group photos and even with very long zoom with short distant objects. At very high zoom, the build-in flash cannot provide enough light.

You don't always have to go for the most powerful model, the 2 battery speedlite can work too except slower recharge.

Great, you ask opinions from some totally strangers whether to fork out $600++ for buying a piece of equetment from another a stranger, which you still not sure is this thing useful to you.

how about go and do some homework first,
do you really want or need a flash?
what the flash can do for you?
and what flash you should get?
and how much you should pay?...

If you don't know what the flash can do... best not to buy yet.
However if you have $600+ dollars lying around in the drawer, and you really don't know what to do with it, and you're curious about flash photography, by all means go and spend the money (help the economy) to buy a 580EXII and try it out. Just remember: if you find the flash quite useless, do remember to put it up for sale in the personal classifieds section for a low price so that you can get rid of it quickly! :)

Forgive me for the questions asked.. though get quite a few feedback, number of impatient ones but it's alright..
Tks for replying.. At least now I have a clearer path to which I shld take :)
Btw, I just realized I don't quite need the flash FOR NOW. Probably because of the price that's why I was quite vexed over it.. (rising prices of Canon products makes me unsure of the prices time to time)

Last edited:
Forgive me for the questions asked.. though get quite a few feedback, number of impatient ones but it's alright..
Tks for replying.. At least now I have a clearer path to which I shld take :)
Btw, I just realized I don't quite need the flash FOR NOW. Probably because of the price that's why I was quite vexed over it.. (rising prices of Canon products makes me unsure of the prices time to time)

I thought canon had a review in of their pricelist? (which means they lowered it..)

Really ar? this is good news. Review pricelist means all products, right? Not just speedlights.

if you don't have fast lens and wants to shoot indoor very frequently, then its really very good to have an external flash unit.

if you don't have budget problem, and you know very well your interest is in photography, then go for 580exII even if you don't know much about flash. you will learn on the way. I'm also someone whom got the best flash in one shot even before I fully understand the power of this flash! didn't regret after that.

external flash is more powerful. you can bounce the light off ceiling, etc... hence giving you a softer light. with a transmitter, you can fire your flash off camera from different angles. However, built in flash is not powerful, cannot bounce light, always direct, hence its more harsh making photos less natural (especially potraits). cannot take shots with angle lightings. built in flash is good only for fill flash. lots of other information you can dig out from the internet..

some photographers hardly use flash. they prefer to work with ambient light with a fast lens, and steady hand.. but nevertheless, i think its worth the buy because there's really lots to learn about flash. especially the 580exII =) and when you've learned how to use it and later on finds that you don't like to work with flash, you can always sell it!

price for 580exII: i got mine at $650 cash nett at Orient Photo with 1yr shop warranty.
http://www.orientfoto.com.sg/
can also go to ClubSNAP Photography Forums > Marketplace > Price Guides forum to find out more about pricing.

find this website quite useful...
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Status
Not open for further replies.