Help on silica

v-nod

Jan 22, 2011
Hi guys,

New to this forum and this is my first post, so Hello!

I was wondering about the blue silica used in dryboxes. I read that it might be carcinogenic.

1) Is it carcinogenic only when heated up in a microwave oven? or when touched?
2) Anyplace I can buy cobalt-free silica? I've only seen those 500gm bottles of blue silica, selling for about S$3.80 - S$4.

Thanks alot!

Hi guys,

New to this forum and this is my first post, so Hello!

I was wondering about the blue silica used in dryboxes. I read that it might be carcinogenic.

1) Is it carcinogenic only when heated up in a microwave oven? or when touched?
2) Anyplace I can buy cobalt-free silica? I've only seen those 500gm bottles of blue silica, selling for about S$3.80 - S$4.

Thanks alot!

Its carcinogenic when you touch it or breathe in the fine dust and of course it leaves cobalt traces on the pan when you heat it. My friend manage to get some orange silica gel which are cobalt free, you can PM him to ask.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=134518

yep. i read about it. however, some claim it as a myth. When you microwave the silica for reuse, you might want to bring the silica gel to the window to let the vapour disperse away rather letting it linger in your kitchen or house. 2cents thought.

btw, i hv been using silica gel with lock n lock containers for all my equipments, just cant stand the big metal dry box with the wire on the floor. with this method, everything can be kept away. and silica gel could be reused quite a number of cycles. so its economical too ;)