Help on Setting on the Dry Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasty204

Oct 6, 2004
Tanjong Rhu
My dry cabinet is now showing 61%RH. The cabinet is 3/4 full.

Is this the right setting?

There is a rotating dial inside , turn counter clockwise goes to "HI", turn clockwise goes to "LO", which way to turn?

Thanks for the help

Nasty204 said:
My dry cabinet is now showing 61%RH. The cabinet is 3/4 full.

Is this the right setting?

There is a rotating dial inside , turn counter clockwise goes to "HI", turn clockwise goes to "LO", which way to turn?

Thanks for the help

My dry cabinet is always at about 40%. Your 61% might be a little too high. Try setting your dial nearer to "HI" cause that's what mine is now.

Check again after a few hours or in the morning.

Nasty, before you do anything, calibrate your hygrometer to make sure your readings are right. Do a search on google on this, lots of cigar sites telling you how to do it with damp salt or a damp towel. In summary, get a bottle cap, put in salt, a few drops of water until it's damp but not wet, put it together with your hygrometer into a ziplock bag, seal, leave it for 8 hours, and it should show 75% RH.

Once you know your hygrometer's not screwy, then you figure out why your RH is so high. The target RH for photographic equipment should be between 40-50% ... mine hovers around 45%. For cigars it's another story :D

And my analog hygrometer (Toyo Living) is spot on, 2 years after I bought it ... never needed to be recalibrated.

Note: don't let the briny stuff touch your hygrometer, you don't want it to be corroded ! Use a *large* ziplock bag, or a transparent airtight container (so you can see the hygrometer reading without opening).

Status
Not open for further replies.