Help on Polariser Purchase

whyseeyellow

Sep 27, 2010
Hi i'm currently using a canon 40D + 17-85. I wld lik to get a polariser for my overseas trip to yunnan as i'll be taking quite a lot of landscape shots. I'm most likely getting a larger thread size so i can upgrade. Any one has any brands that are not to expensive to recommend? Thanks all =)

Hi i'm currently using a canon 40D + 17-85. I wld lik to get a polariser for my overseas trip to yunnan as i'll be taking quite a lot of landscape shots. I'm most likely getting a larger thread size so i can upgrade. Any one has any brands that are not to expensive to recommend? Thanks all =)

For a cheaper one, get a Tokina. For a better one, get a Hoya HMC or Hoya Pro1D, or a Kenko Pro1D.

using a larger thread size CPL filter with step up/down ring is not convenient, sometime the ring will get stuck to the filter and very hard to take out.
if you have lenses in different filter thread size, that still justifiable because of saving money.

if you only have one lens, might as well just get the right size filter, sell the filter together with the lens when you plan to upgrade.

using a larger thread size CPL filter with step up/down ring is not convenient, sometime the ring will get stuck to the filter and very hard to take out.
if you have lenses in different filter thread size, that still justifiable because of saving money.

if you only have one lens, might as well just get the right size filter, sell the filter together with the lens when you plan to upgrade.

Yes i only have 1 lens. I dont hear about the step up ring getting stuck. Re-sale of filters doesn't seem that good in BnS. I'm thinking of a efs 10-22 but i dont know when i'll get it.

And thanks spree86 for the price list =)

Yes i only have 1 lens. I dont hear about the step up ring getting stuck. Re-sale of filters doesn't seem that good in BnS. I'm thinking of a efs 10-22 but i dont know when i'll get it.

And thanks spree86 for the price list =)

Polarizers are not recommended for a UWA lens like 10-22. They do not work well. So just buy a polarizer for your current lens. No need for a step down/up.

I am planning to buy a PF for my UWA lens to get a blue sky effect.
Is that not advicable? I know it will have the uneven blue tone.

Does it means photoshop is my only way out?

I am planning to buy a PF for my UWA lens to get a blue sky effect.
Is that not advicable? I know it will have the uneven blue tone.

Does it means photoshop is my only way out?

No. You can also use GND.

Polarizers are not recommended for a UWA lens like 10-22. They do not work well. So just buy a polarizer for your current lens. No need for a step down/up.

I see. Thanks for your advice. Btw is there anything that i need to take note when using one? Like how do i angle it against the sun for the best effect?

if you've bought one, just bring it out somewhere and test by rotating it around lor =D

I just bought a slim Hoya PF from MSColor for my UWA. Satisfied with the result so far. No vignetting. Hope this helps:)