Status
Not open for further replies.

VIBER

Dec 3, 2004
Singapore
Hi,

I am a newbie to photography, just bought a Panasonic GF1
with the pancake lens.

I read the manual about the lenses available or compatible.
Did some research a dpreview, they said that need a adapter
be able use other lenses, is it true?

If so, where can i buy the adapter, and which brand of lenses
should i buy in future if i wanna play with more lenses.

Thanks

that's a lot of $$ to be spending on a system camera that you know so little about...
Shouldn't you have researched this before spending the cash?

Did some research, comments were that bad, cause of its simplicity.

But after buying, then relies that there are more that meets the eyes...
so appreciate very much if i could get some help here from the gurus .

that's a lot of $$ to be spending on a system camera that you know so little about...
Shouldn't you have researched this before spending the cash?

Have you browsed 4/3 and m4/3 subforum in clubsnap?

Post your question there, you will get faster and more response

Thanks... will try that...

Have you browsed 4/3 and m4/3 subforum in clubsnap?

Post your question there, you will get faster and more response

Did some research, comments were that bad, cause of its simplicity.

But after buying, then relies that there are more that meets the eyes...
so appreciate very much if i could get some help here from the gurus .

the GF1 belongs to the "micro four-thirds" (m4/3) class of cameras.
There aren't THAT many lenses out there at the moment, specifically because the market isn't quite large enough to make it economically justifiable.
I think you can use the 4/3 lenses (meant for 4/3 DSLRs such as Olympus E-xxx cameras) on your GF1, with a adapter.
There are more and more m4/3 cameras being sold everyday. Soon enough, more and more lenses will be released. Stay patient! :)

As for what lenses to get, it all depends on what kind of focal range you're looking for.
The four-thirds section of Clubsnap will provide you with MUCH more info than I have :)

Hi TS,
1st do ask yourself what subjects you are shooting or wanted to shoot?
At this moment, GF1 can fit Panasonic's 14-45mm, 45-200mm or 7-14mm or 45mm macro or 20mmf1/7. Olympus m4/3 lens can fit too but but thier lens do not have image stabaliser(olympus body has built in stabilsier). So u need to consider this too.

As for other brand lens, adapters are required. But take note manual focus and manual control are required from the user.
When fitted a manual lens, u need to activate the shoot w/o lens on GF1 menu.
For Canon EF lens, if u are to adapt to m4/3, do note the aperture is not controllable as Canon's adapter is electronic controlled.

do a google search on adapters on m4/3..u will find more info.

In Clubsnap, under mass sales subforum, under Shocky, they sell different types of adapters for different brand for m4/3. Enjoy your research.
james

Last edited:
the GF1 belongs to the "micro four-thirds" (m4/3) class of cameras.
There aren't THAT many lenses out there at the moment, specifically because the market isn't quite large enough to make it economically justifiable.

I think what you mean is, there aren't that many lenses out there at the moment because the manufacturers can only release so many lens at one time. Even Canikon does not release 10-12 new lenses a year. Panasonic is doing an average of four and similar offerings from Olympus. It's barely more than a one year system for the m4/3 ;)

wildcat said:
I think what you mean is, there aren't that many lenses out there at the moment because the manufacturers can only release so many lens at one time. Even Canikon does not release 10-12 new lenses a year. Panasonic is doing an average of four and similar offerings from Olympus. It's barely more than a one year system for the m4/3 ;)

I come from the school of thought that says "you produce what you think you can sell".
You could very well be right of course.
In the end we're both hypothesizing ;)
If Panasonic sold 10 million m4/3 cameras and all the owners were baying for blood due to the lack of lens varieties, I reckon there'd be many many different lens models coming out.

I remember reading somewhere that Honda's marketing ploy for conquering the motorcycle market years ago, was to flood the market with dozens of new models. It was a gamble and it paid off.

Status
Not open for further replies.