Help on olympus c-700uz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

intoxique

Jul 29, 2002
North.
How to take pics better/clearer/sharp?
It seems hard. There's many option in 700uz. TIFF/SHQ/HQ/SQ
What does these TIFF/SHQ/HQ/SQ means? Anyone can help? When i try taking nightshots, the pics always look grainy..

For start just get one good tripod , this will sove the most of your problems .
And do your self one favour and read all the manual of your camera , not the small one , print the full manual from the CD .

I used a tripod but it's grainy too.
Btw, here's some pics i took.

Okay here's some sample pics i took.

It's on "P" = Programmed Auto Exposure. (serveral menu items) and it's on F2.8 - 1/2.

1st pic with ISO 100.
P1010015.JPG

2nd pic with ISO 200.
P1010016.JPG

3rd pic with IS0 400.
P1010017.JPG

Another i tired.
Now it's on "AUTO" ( Full automatic exposure with one press of the shutter button.}

1st pic.
P1010020.JPG

2nd
P1010021.JPG

3rd
P1010021.JPG

It looks damn grainy. Anyone care to solve this?

First of all the C 700 does not work well at night ....
You should had get the C-2100 for this job .
You have to learn to operate the WB white balance .
The ISO must be always at 100 .

You need to learn how the camera works ,and settings ...
I care to help you , but you are the one that can really help your self , read the manual !!

The P mode is not the only one in the camera ..

Originally posted by syncmaster
First of all the C 700 does not work well at night ....
You should had get the C-2100 for this job .
You have to learn to operate the WB white balance .
The ISO must be always at 100 .

You need to learn how the camera works ,and settings ...
I care to help you , but you are the one that can really help your self , read the manual !!

The P mode is not the only one in the camera ..

Heh dude i know there's something call manual. But don't understand what they mean also! Cause i'm still a digicam newbie.

Btw, there's this function in it.. named "BKT" ( Sets the exposure range ( + 0.3 / + 0.6 / + 1.0 ) and a number of pictures (x3/x5) for auto bracketting. What does this mean?

And there's Multi metering - ( decides the best exposure by metering up to 8 different spots in picture )
What does this mean?

Saw many sites taking nice nightshots using 700uz and was disspointed that i can't take as nice as them. *Sigh*
Sorry if i ask too much. But will apperciate you guys help. ;p

Here's some sample night pics taken with 700uz.
Soooo *jealous* how they took this pics.. URGH!
How i wish what's their settings.

186844-ef9c26aeee61b9de.jpg

176632-ba629416f0f38dff.jpg

In the BKT mode the camera takes 3 pictures , so you have to had the shutter button presed all the time that the camera needs to actualy take the pictures .

Multy metering = ISP - SPOT
its one choice in what you need more in the picture ,as better light at the center of the picture (SPOT) , or (ISP) it takes the stronger light sorce as light level , and all this effects more the shutter speed .

As newbie , you need to try harder ;)
All the words from me and the others will not ring you a bell ,if you do not own the very basics ..

just trying to help..

set your cam on A/S/M mode, as i think ur cam has no S-prog to choose night scene mode(easy night shot mode)..
then from A/S/M menu choose M(Manual) instead of A(Aperture priority) or S(Shutter priority)..

then adjust the A and S using the four directional buttons

try maybe F 2.8 4"

use the remote or set a timer and use a tripod and try and try.

try to adjust it to get the best result that you want.

Ok I can give you some basic tips, was once a c700uz owner. But I'd advise that you read the manual thoroughly, and search the web for answers to basic photography terms, and also to experiment more! Film is free anyway for your cam.

To do nightshots with c700uz, never use P or auto mode, not even shutter or aperture priority. In these modes, shutter speed is limited to 1/2s the most. In most nightshoot environment, you'll need longer shutter speed than that, so you must shoot in M mode. Also, P or auto mode will trigger auto ISO, that's why some of your nightshots are grainy cuz the camera decided to use higher ISO due to the low light condition.

So for nightshots, try the following tips:
1) use M mode
2) set ISO to 100
2) set aperture to f2.8 (if you don't mind no pristine sharpness)
3) set shutter speed to whatever the causes the EV scale on the top righthand corner to set to 0. Or better still, experiment with different shutter speeds and find your preference. Typically between 2 to 4s.
4) Set manual focus, focus to infinity if your subjects are all far away.
5) Use custom white balance (or 'one-touch' WB) on the scene
6) Take the shot using self-timer mode.
7) Off the camera until you are ready to take the next nightshot. This is to prevent further heating up of the CCD, which will lead to hot pixels.

Try these, see how it goes.

OKay guys, thanks for all the replys.
I'll do a testing tonight. Till then.. thanks.

Man i will give you one litle advice .... remove your images at the posts , you are killing our bandwith ... just use one as reference .

Man i will give you one litle advice .... remove your images at the posts , you are killing our bandwith ... just use one as reference .

heh, sorry!
Btw, how was it? Haven't give comments. :D

Originally posted by superhero

why are you still using ISO 400?

Because he is one spoiled newby who does not like to read the users manual ....

My friend you have get all ready all the valuable info about how to do it , thanks to the other members ..
If your wish is not to learn how to do it , then just rent one photographer ..

Because he is one spoiled newby who does not like to read the users manual ....

My friend you have get all ready all the valuable info about how to do it , thanks to the other members ..
If your wish is not to learn how to do it , then just rent one photographer ..

I agree. Most questions you've asked can be found in the users' manual of most cameras. Read it.

Originally posted by intoxique
How to take pics better/clearer/sharp?

Improve your techniques.

It seems hard. There's many option in 700uz. TIFF/SHQ/HQ/SQ
What does these TIFF/SHQ/HQ/SQ means? Anyone can help?

check the manual. Olympus prepares a good user manual which answers this question more than sufficiently.

When i try taking nightshots, the pics always look grainy..

Tweek's post will help you a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.