Help on Nikon FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xan

Nov 11, 2003
Hi people,I am a newbie here, I recently was interested in getting a Manual SLR camera and happen to have one offer on Nikon FM, and I just wonder if this camera is worth the buy at $380? What I mean is that does this price worth this Nikon FM or should I get a better one? Please, your comment will be deeply appreciated. Thank You

FM is a very good camera.
You can also consider adding another $50-$100 to get a FM2n.

Yes, Nikon FM2 is very good camera, i used it for 15 years, still in very good condition.

Xan said:
Hi people,I am a newbie here, I recently was interested in getting a Manual SLR camera and happen to have one offer on Nikon FM, and I just wonder if this camera is worth the buy at $380? What I mean is that does this price worth this Nikon FM or should I get a better one? Please, your comment will be deeply appreciated. Thank You

FM series cameras are very rugged and hane a great reputation in the community. Many versions / upgrades came in and FM2 enjoyed a really long stay in the Nikon shop window and now it is followed by FM3. Given that FM3 was introduced in 2002 (or thereabouts), you can have a feel of how reputable the model is.

That said, you have to take standard measures to ensure that the camera you buy in the 2nd hand market will serve you well. If you do not know how to buy, then read a lot on standard problems with used equipments. The money you pay is very much dependent on the condition etc of the device and no one can off the hand give you a recommendation on that. That said, I have seen a number of FM2's selling for about 300-400 $ here. FM's have to go less in my books unless you are collecting them or if the camera is in tip top shape.

Honestly, FM - FM3 are all equivalent in my point of view except for some "nice" features in the newer models. All cameras can take a severe beating and still run and when they do fail, they fail gracefully. FM2's had a newly designed shutters if I am right but that should not really affect your buying decision. They are all good and you should enjoy any FM series you may buy.

FM will be just nice for ur needs,spend the diff on some slides/films or tripod.

get any of the fm series. I shoot with a fm2n myself. I can't really imagine myself shooting with anything else.

I think $380 is about there. Check its condition. Make sure all the knobs turn as they should, try to get the seller to provide a lens for u to test with if you don't have one. Bring along a roll of film for testing, load it and shoot off a few exps to make sure got no problems winding, the counter turns as it should, then finally rewind the roll.

Like wat RemAcuTetigisti said, there's a lot of things to check for 2nd hand equipement. Here's a gd site: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm/basic.htm

So u'll prob need to fork out another 100 odd for a short lens for basic photography. And later add on to more more more lenses and a flash too~ hahah

I would like to thank you all for the precious advice, well i will give it a study b4 i buy thanks alot

Hijack the thread :

i too just dug up an FM at home, serviced it and had some fun shooting. Its really quite amazing how everything works mechanically and with precision.

now, i m thinking about getting some MF lens. probably looking need a wide angle 28mm and a telephoto about 200mm.

anyone FM users here got any recommendations? is the VIVITAR SERIES 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.5 good?

Larry is looking to dump his MF lenses in Buy & Sell.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=59110&page=1&pp=20

Peace selling some stuff here
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=81919

This year I've bought a 50 1.8 e-series and a 200 macro which doubles as my telephoto when focused to infinity, both 2nd hand from CS. I'm not familiar with 3rd party brands though my initial lens is a tamron AF28-200 3.5-5.6. The optics on that tamron sucks compared to nikkor, hahha. I'm looking for a wide angle for landscapes too, but budget is a big problem so I'd just be browsing for now.

foxtwo said:
Larry is looking to dump his MF lenses in Buy & Sell.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=59110&page=1&pp=20

Peace selling some stuff here
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=81919

This year I've bought a 50 1.8 e-series and a 200 macro which doubles as my telephoto when focused to infinity, both 2nd hand from CS. I'm not familiar with 3rd party brands though my initial lens is a tamron AF28-200 3.5-5.6. The optics on that tamron sucks compared to nikkor, hahha. I'm looking for a wide angle for landscapes too, but budget is a big problem so I'd just be browsing for now.

that 200 macro is nikkor lens?

yes. micro-nikkor MF 200mm f4.

I also owned an FM body myself, the most important thing to check is probably the shutter condition. Once it is damaged, the agent/nikon could not serviced it as it was discontinued. Check it for jam, winding etc.

So far it is still service well for me :thumbsup: , used it as 2nd camera for many years of shooting. Now shoot DSLR .. :D

I sold my FM to shop at RM350, which is around S$155. Shop later sells at around RM450, or S$205. At S$380, it is well over-priced. You can get a FM2 at S$350~450 depending on condition.

Unless if the FM that you are going to buy is a new or like new in box for collector item, else forget it.

The last time TCW show me 1 or 2 reasonably good FM pricing ard $250 I think...

i haven seen a Fm selling for $205 b4,unless it is junk.street price is ard $350 at least.

erm does anyone know where can i service nikon camera? is it exp?

Status
Not open for further replies.