Help on Myanmar

Prince Photogenic

Dec 11, 2010
Anyone from Myanmar, or is familiar with Myanmar? I need help..

Can anyone tell me:
1. What are the people of Myanmar called?
2. Is the official name Myanmar or Burma? (It seems like the Junta calls it Myanmar but Aung San Suu Kyi Burma) - care to enlighten me?

I know that this may not be a right avenue to ask for such help, but given the diversity of CS, there might be a chance that someone will be from Myanmar or can help on this..

Thanks

The previously ruling military junta changed the name from Burma to Myanmar. The US still calls it Burma in defiance; the Brits call it both Burma and Myanmar.
Countries with friendlier ties call it Myanmar.

Anyway you can just wiki this info out.

The previously ruling military junta changed the name from Burma to Myanmar. The US still calls it Burma in defiance; the Brits call it both Burma and Myanmar.
Countries with friendlier ties call it Myanmar.

Anyway you can just wiki this info out.

Wiki calls it Burma..

I see i see.. thanks..

One is Ang moh name, one is local name, in Chinese we pronounce 缅甸, so u do your own guessing which one more chun :)

One is Ang moh name, one is local name, in Chinese we pronounce 缅甸, so u do your own guessing which one more chun :)

Depends on who you speak to: the pro-democracy crowd prefers Burma, the rest are fine with both Burma or Myanmar.

Got it.. thanks cks2k2 and Big Kahuna =)

Depends on who you speak to: the pro-democracy crowd prefers Burma, the rest are fine with both Burma or Myanmar.

It is a country of many tribes/races. The predominant one - the Burman/Bamar - consists of 68% of the population. The junta renamed the country so as to accord more respect to the other races (which are also indigenous - not imported) - which I personally feel is not a bad thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Burma

"Opposition parties, although they oppose the English name "Myanmar", do not oppose the official Burmese name Myanma, and no opposition party is proposing to use the colloquial name Bama as the official name of the country."

Last edited: