Help On Lens Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirusAceDJ

May 29, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
Hi Guys

Would be getting my first DSLR [Nikon D90] over the weekends ;)
the problem is

I can't decided over the lens bundle.

the choices:
18-105mm VR , 18-55mm , 55-200mm

currently what i was thinking is that
either the
18-105mm VR by itself or the 18-55mm + 55-200mm pairing :confused:

wonder whats u guys think is the better choice?

I would be mostly doing photojournalism stuff..
with the need of both wide and zoom lens :sweat:

i will go for 18-55 and 55-200mm:bsmilie:

Maybe u want to get the D90 body without the kit lens and get the 18-200mm lens separately to go along with it. I bought mine 2mths ago without regret.
Happy shooting!

Since its your first DSLR, my humble suggestion is get the kit first. The kit lens is good for most shootings and you can always let go later still at a good price.

18-55mm is one of the good lens out there sharper than kit and 18-200mm. Try out first no hurry rite? ^.^

Maybe u want to get the D90 body without the kit lens and get the 18-200mm lens separately to go along with it. I bought mine 2mths ago without regret.
Happy shooting!

same thoughts here. i just luv the fuss free option. :cool:

Actually i was tinking those lens with long range e.g. the 18-105mm & 18-200mm lens, what are the pros and cons of such lens really? cos i have no idea, other than the 'fuss-free' and sharpness factor u guys already meationed ?

with 1 lense,

pros:
. no lense change = less dirty image sensor
. faster respond time
. economise on size & weight

cons:
. picture quality may not match seperate lenses (colour, sharpness, distortion, chromatic aberration may suffer)

how wide angle would u like? sometimes the focal length may be a factor in choosing ur gears.

for me, i have a 12-24mm + 28-135mm for my Canon with a 1.6X crop.

Last edited:
If serious photojournalism then 18-105mm as you dont want to be caught off guard when a picture opportunity arises. Only if you are experienced and know by instinct what lens you want then you go for a variable lens system.

i got a 18-105mm and my friend got a 18-55mm and the image he have is sharper then mine .. but the problem he always complain is "he can't zoom far like mi " :D

i got a 18-105mm and my friend got a 18-55mm and the image he have is sharper then mine .. but the problem he always complain is "he can't zoom far like mi " :D

Image sharpness is affected by many factors. The longer your focal length the more you are susceptible to shake by your hands. That's why a lot of longer lenses come with IS now. It's easier to get sharp pictures hand held with shorter focal length. If you really want to compare then use a tripod, remote shutter (or timer) and equal aperture / focal length settings and also equal camera settings (JPEG parameters).

i would go for the 18-55mm and 55-200mm combo.

After painful spending, I realised that going for an all-in-one lens often give unsatisfactory results.

Status
Not open for further replies.