Help on Group shot

fatBozZ

Jun 5, 2010
Help needed

Imagine u are taking a group of 3 person and they are lined up infront of each other

how do i go about focusing ?
if i focus on 1st person the rest of the faces will be blur .. so on and so forth ..

HELP !!!!

can f8 help??
all will be sharp

ya, that's what i will do. focus on the 1st person and choose a large DoF. F5 and above i guess

What is your aperture?

You need to understand the aperture and DOF before optimising the correct aperture value for this type of shots. Of course if you close your aperture to smaller, everything will be sharp, but it came at the expense of less light entering into your sensor and so higher ISO and/or lower shutter speed is needed which will again have high noise level (high ISO) and/or motion blur (shakes by yourself... movement by your subject due to longer shutter speed).

Which means to say the background will be sharp as well ?
if let's say i put f10 ?

Which means to say the background will be sharp as well ?
if let's say i put f10 ?

Most probably - yes. But like I say, you need to know the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. With that... look into the surrounding lighting too, if lighting not too good, imagine the insanely high ISO you would need to set (thus more noise) and/or slow shutter speed (more potential for motion blur from yourself and/or your subject).

One way to get around this is use flash though.

Last edited:
u should do well with f5-6

u lose light as what rhino said, so u hv to work with ISO and shutter speed.
a flash will help if u hv 1

Thanks all will try the above mentioned

If u use canon, turn the dial to a-dep

Most probably - yes. But like I say, you need to know the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. With that... look into the surrounding lighting too, if lighting not too good, imagine the insanely high ISO you would need to set (thus more noise) and/or slow shutter speed (more potential for motion blur from yourself and/or your subject).

One way to get around this is use flash though.

To add on, Depth of field (DOF) is not just a function of aperture; you need to look at your focal length and subject distance as well.
Wide angle lenses have a larger DOF compared to telephoto lenses.
The closer the subject is to your camera, the shallower the DOF as well.

Use the DOF calculator to help you position your subjects and select an appropriate aperture.

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Last edited:
Friend all waiting for you to be taking the picture, still got time to measure so many thing and then checking website meh?

Friend all waiting for you to be taking the picture, still got time to measure so many thing and then checking website meh?

True, maybe not...just "agar-ation" and shoot and hope for the best! :cool: Digital right? Not nice, just shoot again lor!
Nevertheless it is always good to plan when you can, or at least have a rough idea where to stand. If nothing else, at least we all learn how theory works in practice.

Last edited:

No, this is where experience comes in - after a while you get "photographer brain" and you just know that for a certain scene, using certain equipment, what aperture you need, etc.

it is not so straight forward,
it has to depends on what format you use, 3/4, DX or FX, the larger the format, the narrower the depth of field, as in cover the same area on different format.
it also have to depends on what lens you use, if it is a wider focal length, you have deeper depth of field,
and don't forget how much areas you need to include, if shooting three persons in full length, you can get away with a larger aperture...

than, you need to depend on the lighting condition, see whether how much can you compromise with the ISO, shutter speed and aperture.

so, why ask for a f-stop and where to focus when we have little information on all the things except knowing need to shoot 3 persons in a row?

Of course, if you want a great photo taken. But of course there is no need to go measure using a measuring tape and go internet to check for DOF and stuff like that (now, that would be kind of extreme).

Just take a few shots with different aperture, go back home and look through those pics... you will tend to find a couple that works for you.

After a while, things would become a second nature, like which aperture to use at what condition...

anyway, shooting 3 persons in different depths and still want everyone in focus is not so easy,
when you focus on one point the depth of field start from is 1/3 at the front, 2/3 at the back,
using wide angle lens is easy to get everyone in focus, but your subject are small,
if you get closer, the front person will be too big and back person will be very small.

so you need to try out with different focal length, to get the visual effect you want,
than, find out the aperture value able to cover the depth you want,
after this, you need to chose a shutter speed and ISO setting to use subject to the lighting condition.

hope this help.

Minimally I will set to f5.6, but f8 will be good.

try searching on flickr or a photography image host website for a football team, see if they have the data on the photo, what aperture they shooting at and all.

i think they usually focus on the last row of players