Help on Focusing points

conkeychua

Aug 19, 2009
Hi All,

Suspect im using wrong key words to search thus posting my questions here.....

With regards to f1.2 to f2.8 range, what focus mode is applicable? Reasons why im asking this is because I face the following when using the various AF drive :)

When I shoot at these ranges, using just the centre AF, the pics are sharp and in focus, but that would mean that I would not have any composition cause subject’s eyes has to be in the centre of my ( What you call that ) lens. Solution that I have thought about would be stand further and don’t shoot it too tight so it gives me space to crop but is this right?

Using all AF points, I have the following enquiry

1) If 3 different af points appear, which one is the main one? ( Sorry I really do not know how to better phrase this question so bear with me ) after shoot, answer is none… 
2) AF does not focus on subject’s eyes, tried to half click for focus then adjust the identified focus point to the eye also doesn’t work.
3) Does anyone uses 2.8 and below for active subjects like dogs or kids? What focus mode do you use? And whats the chances of accuracy?

With this, I know my problem is due to lack of experience so maybe the pros here can share what modes and how they do it when shooting portraits and streets.

Thanks alot

for thin dof shots,
it's best to use the single AF point closest to the area you want to focus, focus and recompose then snap.
else you can MF.

you managed that when you focus and recompose, the focus isn't spot on. thats common, as in such thin dof, any slight movement from your camera will throw the focus off.
points to take note when you recompose
- hold your breadth, so that you do not impart more shake to the camera
- move your camera when you recompose instead of tilting it (tilting it to recompose will try your focus off, as you have altered the plane of focus)

Never use all the AF points, as you are allowing the camera to choose which point to focus instead of you choosing.

for thin dof shots,
it's best to use the single AF point closest to the area you want to focus, focus and recompose then snap.
else you can MF.

you managed that when you focus and recompose, the focus isn't spot on. thats common, as in such thin dof, any slight movement from your camera will throw the focus off.
points to take note when you recompose
- hold your breadth, so that you do not impart more shake to the camera
- move your camera when you recompose instead of tilting it (tilting it to recompose will try your focus off, as you have altered the plane of focus)

Never use all the AF points, as you are allowing the camera to choose which point to focus instead of you choosing.

Hi, Thanks alot for sharing, In this case, do you re-select your single focus point everytime ( say for a model shoot ) you switch from landcape to potrait, whole body half body to head shots?

Also, when you mentioned focus and recompose, does it mean you half click, AF goes beep and then you move the camera with the shutter release button still half pressed, move the af dot or square that apprears during the half click to where you want in focus??

thanks again :)

..... With regards to f1.2 to f2.8 range,

You are dealing with thin depth of field sitution. If you can get hold of the lens information sheet, read up to get an impression of the variation depth of field at various distance a subject is from lens. It does help in my case.

.... what focus mode is applicable? ....using just the centre AF

Using all AF points, ...
1) If 3 different af points appear, which one is the main one?
2) AF does not focus on subject’s eyes, tried to half click for focus then adjust the identified focus point to the eye also doesn’t work.

If subject is stationary or near stationary, you may experiment with this approach
-- set focusing to single shot mode
-- set to single focus point instead of multiple focusing point
-- set your exposure setting if required
-- compose the picture via viewfinder with selected focus point on the eye
-- get camera to focus
-- press and release shutter

You are dealing with thin depth of field sitution. If you can get hold of the lens information sheet, read up to get an impression of the variation depth of field at various distance a subject is from lens. It does help in my case.

If subject is stationary or near stationary, you may experiment with this approach
-- get camera to focus

Great TIPS! thanks for sharing

Hi, Thanks alot for sharing, In this case, do you re-select your single focus point everytime ( say for a model shoot ) you switch from landcape to potrait, whole body half body to head shots?

Also, when you mentioned focus and recompose, does it mean you half click, AF goes beep and then you move the camera with the shutter release button still half pressed, move the af dot or square that apprears during the half click to where you want in focus??

thanks again :)

Yes, I re-choose my points. but there are those who always stick with the middle (if i'm not wrong, for your camera, only the middle AF point is cross-type)

Yes, half press the shutter

Yes, I re-choose my points. but there are those who always stick with the middle (if i'm not wrong, for your camera, only the middle AF point is cross-type)

Yes, half press the shutter

Hi Bro,

Forgot to update my signature... Am using a 7D so is it any better?

Also, cross type means you can only use centre when you choose the single point af option right?

Cheers!

-- get camera to focus

Bro, thanks alot for the advise. Didnt really thought about the lens manual though ....

Cheers!

Forgot to update my signature... Am using a 7D so is it any better?
Also, cross type means you can only use centre when you choose the single point af option right?

Your manual will tell you which focus points or groups you can select and which one are cross-type sensors. Cross-type means those sensors can recognize horizontal and vertical patterns, the single type AF points can only recognize one type of patterns. Cross-type sensors are more sensitive and provide higher precision.