help on fill flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoZ

Jul 17, 2006
Telok Blangah
fotologue.jp
Hi all, I have a photoshoot for my school's club tomorrow. They wanted an outdoor group photo in the late afternoon. Is it possible for the external flash EX550 be able to illuminate the whole group of 19 members if i wanted to correctly expose the sky (i.e. i am using the external flash as fill flash)?

Yes it's possible. Fill-in flash is just what it sound like...to fill certain areas, not to illuminate the whole scene. This is if you are shooting outdoors as you've mentioned. May need to go manual mode. Do a few test shots just to be safe and if still not sure bracket your shots since you may not get an opportunity to shoot with this group again (19 People).

mount your camera on a tripod
meter for flash to subject and get correct exposure via aperture
then adjust shutter speed to get the correct exposure for background

taking into consideration that if your shutter speed is too slow,
you will get subject movement

keep in mind that you still have ISO speed to adjust

Yes it's possible. Fill-in flash is just what it sound like...to fill certain areas, not to illuminate the whole scene. This is if you are shooting outdoors as you've mentioned. May need to go manual mode. Do a few test shots just to be safe and if still not sure bracket your shots since you may not get an opportunity to shoot with this group again (19 People).

position is an important factor...

if they do tis...

oooooooooo
ooooooooo

or

ooooooo
oooooo
oooooo

still ok...

if they do

o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o

then jackpot liao...

anyway depends on the quality etc, 1 flash direct, 1st row sure overblown 1... a bounce is prefered...

position is an important factor...

if they do tis...

oooooooooo
ooooooooo

or

ooooooo
oooooo
oooooo

still ok...

if they do

o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o

then jackpot liao...

anyway depends on the quality etc, 1 flash direct, 1st row sure overblown 1... a bounce is prefered...
outdoor how to bounce, you teach leh.....

bounce the flash from the underbelly of an airplane

are you sure about that?

but ... but .... i see lots of photographers shoot outdoors with flash head pointing up

if airplane fly too low, than hair will get messy,

maybe that's why a lot of model shoots all got messy hair.... :think:

GeckoZ, borrow your thread to ask more question. Good chance to learn from experts here :sweatsm:
If it is night outdoor, 1-2 person half body portrait.
Equipment : 17-40 f4, 580EX, LSII
How can I get the background and person bright/sharp? I am very new to flash so switch to E-TTL all the time.
1) I tried metering the background first, then exposure lock and focus on the person. Lightsphere on and pointing 90 degrees upwards. Fire! The subject need to freeeeezeeee for a few secs... not a easy task.
2) Dummy way, switch to "night portrait" and can get reasonably good results but subject (the person face) seems overexposed most of the time...

Any advice? :dunno:

GeckoZ, borrow your thread to ask more question. Good chance to learn from experts here :sweatsm:
How can I get the background and person bright/sharp? I am very new to flash so switch to E-TTL all the time.
1) I tried metering the background first, then exposure lock and focus on the person. Lightsphere on and pointing 90 degrees upwards. Fire! The subject need to freeeeezeeee for a few secs... not a easy task.
2) Dummy way, switch to "night portrait" and can get reasonably good results but subject (the person face) seems overexposed most of the time...

seem both you and TS need lesson on flash...try SLCC...they have good flash lesson at a good price...:thumbsup:

are you sure about that?

but ... but .... i see lots of photographers shoot outdoors with flash head pointing up

ya lor...how they bounce...why they point up?? as good as no flash...is this a new way to take photo???

are you sure about that?

to get a constant "sutter speed" in "A" mode:bsmilie:

if u want the background and person bright and sharp, u'll need the subject to be very close to the background, or the background itself must be brighten up by the atmosphere lightings.

for night portrait mode.. i need another expert to explain on the overexposure too...

are you sure about that?

Are they put something like dome diffuser on the flash head? If yes, it means like flashing lamp to inform people "hey, I take a shot..". The dome diffuser also to protect flash head from bird drop outdoor :embrass: .

Regards,
Arto.

are you sure about that?

:think: Not so sure..but i think tendency to bounce off a plane very small..can bounce off clouds?? :sweat: :bsmilie:

Your exposure was a few seconds at F/4?

What ISO did you use?

Are they put something like dome diffuser on the flash head? If yes, it means like flashing lamp to inform people "hey, I take a shot..". The dome diffuser also to protect flash head from bird drop outdoor :embrass: .

Regards,
Arto.

No lahz..tat one is water bottle..shoot outdoor must be well hydrated..the flash helps to keep the temperature of water just right for drinking...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.