Help on dslr setup for Sony A77

linchen0413

Nov 3, 2011
Hi, I've bought my DSLR A77 for few months ago, last month I went to travel and took some photo. But my problem here is face for people is look dark when Backlight is too bright. Any recommend setting need to setup from my DSLR? HELP!!!!!

Hi, I've bought my DSLR A77 for few months ago, last month I went to travel and took some photo. But my problem here is face for people is look dark when Backlight is too bright. Any recommend setting need to setup from my DSLR? HELP!!!!!

1) Use fill-in flash.
2) Set your metering to spot metering, then meter on your subject's face (most probably you would have overexpose your background though)
3) Take two or more shots (1 with correct exposure on your subject, and 1 with correct exposure of your background) then go back and merge this two photos together using HDR techniques.

What you are encountering is the limits on Dynamic Range that a camera can see vs. what our eyes can see.

On the A77, the easiest thing for you to do would be to use the in-camera HDR for situations like that (no need to use a PC to merge on the A77). Or use fill flash, though they have different effects. ;)

Just remember when using HDR that the camera will take more than one shot. So hold it steady/use a tripod.