Help on dslr setup for beginner

Apr 17, 2013
Hello guys, I am new to this forum so please pardon me if I am posting in the wrong place.

I live in singapore and I am buying my first DSLR. My budget is SGD$2000.

The setup I am thinking of getting now is the cannon 60D with a Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC (OS)* HSM lens.

Could you guys tell me if this setup is good or bad, feel free to tell me anything as i really need help here.

Some things I should tell you that are... I decided to go with the 60d and aftermarket lens instead of the 600d with aftermarket as there is only a 400 dollar difference between them and that would not help me buy a better lens as lens are much more expansive.

Should I just save my time and go for the 135mm kit lens on the 60d or is the sigma better and worth the money? Or do you have any other lens to suggest to me or any other bodies or setup to suggest for my $2000 budget?

Thanks for all your help in advance :D

Hello guys, I am new to this forum so please pardon me if I am posting in the wrong place.

The setup I am thinking of getting now is the cannon 60D with a Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC (OS)* HSM lens.

Could you guys tell me if this setup is good or bad, feel free to tell me anything as i really need help here.

Some things I should tell you that are... I decided to go with the 60d and aftermarket lens instead of the 600d with aftermarket as there is only a 400 dollar difference between them and that would not help me buy a better lens as lens are much more expansive.

Should I just save my time and go for the 135mm kit lens on the 60d or is the sigma better and worth the money? Or do you have any other lens to suggest to me or any other bodies or setup to suggest for my $2000 budget?

i rather spend more money on good glass.

get a Canon, can mount almost any lens to it via adapters.
I recommend you get a Canon 7D, it is nearly indestructible (yes i am out of the closet as a 7D-fancat )

[video=youtube;RCT-YMgjm9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k[/video]

as you are a newbie I am obligated to warn you from trying any of these stunts in the video with any camera of yours.

with $2000, I would suggest a 600D/650D with a f/2.8 crop zoom, canon or aftermarket. That's if you strictly want canon. Other brands offer good stuff for under $2k too.

Hello guys, I am new to this forum so please pardon me if I am posting in the wrong place.[...]
It's not about the wrong place, but you could take some time reading through the sticky and FAQ threads. That should give you enough to think about.
Just scroll up here in this section, plenty of stuffs to read.
Another point to note: a simpler camera with a better lens gives better results than a great camera with a less good lens. You won't notice the difference between a 60D and a 600D in your pictures, but you will have more budget for a better lens.

Last edited:
Well... 60D is a good camera, Sigma 18-200mm is pretty alright... but why don't you get the 60D + Canon's EF 18-200mm or 15-85mm? I believe with that combination, it will still be around 2k. I have handle the 60D before, lovely cam, not too heavy and I find the swivel LCD a joy to use (although I seriously hope that Canon could improve her liveview AF). There are rumors that the 70D and 7D mkII are coming out to the market and if you are not in a rush to get the DSLR, it would be good to wait... then you would have more choices - like getting the brand new 70D or 7DmkII... or the older 60D or 7D at a lower price.

Don't just narrow your choices down to Canon. Do consider other brands (e.g. Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc...). Also, If you are to get the Sigma 18-250, I would still suggest EF-S18-200 or EF-S15-85.

imo, you can get better specs camera with this money if you will consider other brands.

Since this is your 1st DSLR, may I suggest you consider the new Canon 700D with a kit lens 18-135mm STM. It will serve you well for 3 years or more. The 18-135 is excellent range for travel & general photography indoors or out. At about $1500-$1600, you have some $$ left for a UV filter to protect the lens & perhaps a 50mm f/1.8 II prime or a Flash should you need one.

And when you decide to expand with more lenses after learning the basics, EFS lenses for APS-C cameras are less costly than Full-Frame ones.

Visit the Canon showroom at Vivocity, next to GV cinema, and handle the 700D for yourself. (I'm very thankful to a relative who recommended me the 550D with 18-135. It was my 1st DSLR and I'm still enjoying using it after 3 years, having shot 1000s of travel photos since. It was good he recommended 18-135 instead of 18-55 which is less limiting for travels.)

I wouldn't bother with the 60D as I think there is little improvement over the xx0D series, but if you prefer, you can definitely go for the 60D. I'd probably pick up a 600D or 650D though.

As for the lens, if you are more comfortable with a 1 lens setup, the Sigma is fine. Otherwise, you can consider the Canon 18-135mm kit as well.

If you are more adventurous, get the few prime lenses suggested thus far to play along. A 50mm f/1.8II is inexpensive and offers you a large aperture of f/1.8 - a luxury you won't have in a super zoom lens.

If this is ur first DSLR ... I suggest going for 600D / 650 D with kit 2 (18mm-135mm) as the price both both is not at high side .
In later part u can spend ur money to buy another lens once u master ur kit lens
EF 50mm F1.8 is a wise choice ( Cheap & user-friendly ) for 2nd choice;), just need to get use to the noise :what:

If you are into Canon only, get 700D + 18-135mm lens, but not the 50mm prime.
For prime, get something in the 35mm range since this is a cropped sensor cam. The 50mm will be too tight in most scenarios (at least for me).

The 18-135 range is good enough in most situations, unless you want to do videos during your travels where you record the performance while seated in a 'stage environment'.
This situation will call for something around the 200mm range. If you are just for stills, the kit 2 is good enough.

Do also note that Canon has a privileged program(search / google to know more) for existing customers. You can trade in your old canon camera (faulty or working) and get a new set at around ~17 to 20% discount. Use a compact to trade up to a DSLR for the discount, pretty worth it. I do not know if this program includes the 700D, pls call canon service center to check.

From your savings, buy a mid range flash (speedlite) to go with your kit. Canon always have this purchase with purchase offer.
Flashes are great things to have! Helps a lot in your photography!

If you want a Nikon, then it's the D7100 + 18-105mm + 35mm prime.

Both setups should last you at least 3 years.
Do budget in a dry cabinet (not box) and bag if you none is given.

I assume you will do your homework and get quotes from the listed shops before committing to buy. Enjoy the journey!

Depends what you want to do and how much weight you want to carry.

You also need to leave some funds for other things like extra batteries, flashgun, dry cabinet, memory cards and etc.

Personally for me, the 650D with Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-F4 is pretty good for lightweight everyday use and with the 700D announced, prices for it should have gotten lower. If you only use in daytime, the 15-85mm is pretty good even though considered as kit lens.

Pentax makes very good cameras and are worth considering.

Samsung NX series (ASP-C sensor also) looks interesting too..