Help on Dry Cabinet

lyj123

May 26, 2011
Bought a Digi Cabi 30l dry cabinet but realized that I got the wrong one. I meant to get those digitally controlled one as I can only put the dry cabinet in my room. At night I on the air con but not during the day. Having difficulty now trying to stabilize the humidity within the range of 45-49% for both day and night. Any advice?

what's the difficulty all about?

Bought a Digi Cabi 30l dry cabinet but realized that I got the wrong one. I meant to get those digitally controlled one as I can only put the dry cabinet in my room. At night I on the air con but not during the day. Having difficulty now trying to stabilize the humidity within the range of 45-49% for both day and night. Any advice?

Hi. Have you read the manual? Usually it takes some time for humidity to stabilize. Turn the knob clockwise all the way to the right and let it hover around 40-50. Note that when u open the cabinet door for a while the humidity reading shoots up instantly. But don't worry too much lah :D

it does take time for the humidity to stabilise :) dont worry, as i was fussing with it for a while when all i needed to do was wait.
Dont know about air con and non air con room tho, if they will affect the humidity ...

i dont think air con or non aircon will make a different on dry cab...

I have been monitoring it for 2 days. At room temp (w/o aircon) it's fine at 48%. After a night's of aircon, when I checked in the morning, it's 42%. And I came home in the evening, it dropped to 39%. Ytd was worst, it shot up to 70%.

Thought it's due to the aircon. Do i just leave it alone then? I need not adjust the knob once it's within the range?

I have been monitoring it for 2 days. At room temp (w/o aircon) it's fine at 48%. After a night's of aircon, when I checked in the morning, it's 42%. And I came home in the evening, it dropped to 39%. Ytd was worst, it shot up to 70%.

Thought it's due to the aircon. Do i just leave it alone then? I need not adjust the knob once it's within the range?

you got open the cabinet door during the entire time not?

keep ur cabin shut tight. dun even open it. then run ur experiment with the aircon.

it shld not change. if it STILL changes after u tested it, and u NEVER once open the cabin....

go and send it for repair/warranty. there is probably a leak somewhere.

hmm yea.. i noticed mine drop a few % when the aircon is turned ON too..
But once you off the aircon and open the windows/door to go work/school.. it should back to normal again..

could be air-con on, ambient air humidity drop cause' the air is dryer, prolly affect the dry cabi by a bit too.

48-42%.. i understand. Mine react this way too. Since you on the aircon..the room temperature changes too much (assuming you on your aircon low-mid 20s degree) The RH% will be affected..considering even the whole cabinet is cold already. But everytime after i off the aircon it would go back to 48% slowly..

So if your case is 39% and 70%.. i think something could be wrong..infact 70% is alittle overkill.

Didn't open it since last night. Hmm... will monitor it for another day. Thanks for the advices.

I just gotten the 30L DigiCab as well.
Was taught to set it the following ways :
Step 1: set the knob to 12o'clock position n leave it with door close for 4-5hrs.
Step 2: check RH readin
a)if above 50% RH, turn knob clockwise to 1o'clock n leave it 2-3hrs with door closed.
b) if below 45% RH turn knob anticlockwise to 11o'clock n leave it 2-3hrs with door closed.
Step 3: repeat Step 2 as above till u get a stable reading of 45-50% RH for 1-2 hrs.
Step 4: put in your camera body n lenses n keep door closed.

Things to note :
1) ensure door are closed tightly whenever u open to adjust the RH, best way to check is if can turn the key to lock the cabinet.
2) be advised that whenever you open the cabinet door, the RH will shoot up n will stabilized after a while.
3) aircon or not does not matter as temp will change but due to controlled level of humidity inside the cabinet, it would be aft Ted by the moisture in the air outside causing any drastic changes in RH.
4) place the cabinet in a cool area within the room so the temp is better controlled.

Hope the info helps cos it surely does for me n my cabinet is in a aircon room too.

I just got a DB-036.
a. How long does it normally take to stabilise the humidity?
b. Is the reading stable? I once spotted it moving between 39 - 50 % without opening the door..

Thanks

It took me approx a day 12 hrs to stabilize it. Night don't count cos sleeping... Hehe.
Constant reading 46-49RH.

Thanks to all the advices.... Finally managed to get a range of 44-47%. With door closed and locked for the past few days, the humidity level still fluctuates within the range. This is normally right?

Abit of fluctuation is normal.

Aiyo put in my camera and lens. Humidity shot up from 44% to 65%. I know it will shoot up but to 65% seems too high. Hope it will come back down to 40s soon.

Each time the cabinet is open, RH will shoot up n gradually will settle down to ideal level again.
Don't worry, mine also same same.