Help on Color Calibration!

RandomRambler

Nov 2, 2008
Hi guys, I know this topic has been widely covered on CS, but I do not seem to have found the answers to this questions. So, the more experienced users, i would greatly appreciate your advise.

First, let me tell you my situation. I took a photo the other day of myself in a purple t-shirt, loaded it up on my laptop (macbook), and the color was way off. The purple looked like more blue than magenta.

At this point, I'd like to add also that i was shooting on a canon 450D with sRGB as my color setting, and the color that i saw on the back of my camera was also off. :confused:
But, i know for a fact that the lcd on the back of my 450D doesnt have that much colors, so i would not trust the color on it anyways.

So, at this point of time, I'm really frustrated by the color profile of my screen, and i am tempted to go and buy a color calibration tool. But, before that.. here are my questions.

1) After color calibrating your screen,
Does it mean that what you see on your screen is exactly/very similar to what you see in real life.
Meaning, in my case. The purple t-shirt i see, is exactly the same color i would see from the real t-shirt in person. If i put the t-shirt side by side to the screen, would they look almost identical.
Is that what the color calibration tool does?
Or, is it calibrated to how it would look like when it comes out printed?

2) Where, what and how much would a good calibration tool be?
I've seen other CS members talked about Spyder3pro, and some saying that is overkill.
So, is the spyder2 still available on the market?

3) Final question is not really part of digital darkroom, but.. here goes..
Could the issue not be software, but hardware? i.e. my camera and lens?
Has anyone else experience such a problem. Whereby the color of a picture taken, is not at all reflective of what the color is in real life? If so, then how?

hi

some stupid questions here from me, hope u don't mind.

is the photo taken under articifial light?

how is the wb set?

hi

some stupid questions here from me, hope u don't mind.

is the photo taken under articifial light?

how is the wb set?

Hi, that's not a stupid question. i think its totally relevant, but i forgot to mention.
I was using 3 flashes. So yes, it was artificial light.
The wb was manually/custom set.
i.e. i took a photo with a white piece of paper that filled the frame, and use that as the white blance point.

Hi, that's not a stupid question. i think its totally relevant, but i forgot to mention.
I was using 3 flashes. So yes, it was artificial light.
The wb was manually/custom set.
i.e. i took a photo with a white piece of paper that filled the frame, and use that as the white blance point.

well if you use custom wb, i really got no clue what happened.

i know nothing about flash also to offer any help.

how bout try shooting a gray card together with the person (let him/her hold it) using the lighting that you will use for the shoot... shoot in raw... after you uploaded your shot in your macbook, open it with the Post processing software you are using, look for the eyedropper tool... drag it on the graycard photo then click. it will adjust your white balance (if not perfectly, almost near to the true colors of what you shot previously).

calibrating your screen color is also important if you are looking for color accuracy... i use spyder pro.

experts, please feel free to correct me if am wrong with this, thank you!