Help on choosing for an upgrade lense for my Canon EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6 IS

rotlerrotler

May 22, 2011
Just need help on choosing for an upgrade lense for my EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6 IS. I been using this on my Canon 60D for almost a year. I'm looking for a good IQ lense which can be used for general photography and travel use. I have these following lenses on my mind:

1. EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
2. EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
3. EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
4. EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
please check out the size and weight of the lenses you've shortlisted before you consider them for travel use.

if size, weight and price is not an issue, then just buy what suit you need.

Wow. Your choices are quite varied - you have 1 wide angle lens, 2 fairly general purpose range zoom lenses and 1 telephoto.

You gotta figure out what you are gunning for.

rotlerrotler said:
Just need help on choosing for an upgrade lense for my EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6 IS. I been using this on my Canon 60D for almost a year. I'm looking for a good IQ lense which can be used for general photography and travel use. I have these following lenses on my mind:

Thanks in advance!!!

Firstly, it's a LENS, not a LENSE.
and what are you looking for in your new lens? Is it supposed to replace the 18-200?
What is it about your current lens that disappoints you? Have you considered that maybe it's not a problem with the lens?

Just need help on choosing for an upgrade lense for my EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6 IS. I been using this on my Canon 60D for almost a year. I'm looking for a good IQ lense which can be used for general photography and travel use.
So you think you 'deserve' somehow to get a new lens after using the 18-200 for a year now? If you feel you deserve it and have the money then go and buy, enjoy the thrill of GAS (Gear Acquiring Syndrome) - but don't be too disappointed that nothing will change in your pictures. If your pictures look only so-so with 18-200 then chances are good they still will look this way with any other lens. Reason is simple (deduced from your description): you have yet to understand that 80% of a good image come from the person behind the viewfinder, only a small portion comes from the equipment. Your 18-200 is able to provide good quality (check the reviews and compare if you don't believe it). Regarding your list of lenses: do compare the weight with your current equipment. Especially since it seems you want to replace one lens with at least 2 new ones.

Last edited:
rotlerrotler said:

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm using the same 18-200mm kit lens on 60d. I recommend getting 50mm f1.8 prime for portrait and 10-22mm UWA for landscape and scenice travel shot. Your 18-200mm should be sufficient for most other shots.

The 15-85 not getting an option? I started with the 18-200 too, the next lens was actually the 10-22 to make up for the wide-angle. I hardly shoot at tele range. Honestly, only you know which is more suitable for yourself. The 18-200 is already a general photography and travel lens.

Frankly... what is wrong with your 18-200mm? Not enough range, aperture not wide enough, not enough wideness, macro etc?

Without even knowing the above, there really is nothing we can tell you to. To some people, they use prime lens as their general walkabout, and travel lens, and some uses prime. I myself use a variety of lenses but mostly my 70-200mm f4L and Tokina 12-24mm... and in some instances, I use my 100mm macro... so it is really up to you to choose which lens to go for.

Like some of the others had said... I don't understand your choice of lenses also... :sweat:

Are those lenses suppose to Replace or Work With your 18-200mm ?? Are you looking for a lens with longer focus range or one that produce better / sharper image ?? How about a Ultra Wide for landscape ?? And the MOST IMPORTANT part, that is your BUDGET... :think:

Thanks guys for the response. I think i'm looking for a wider aperture lens because i'm a bit frustrated when I cannot use wider than 5.6 aperture when I'm on tele side. Size and weight is not an issue I just think my 18-200 lacks on the wider aperture on the tele-side.

Firstly, it's a LENS, not a LENSE.
and what are you looking for in your new lens? Is it supposed to replace the 18-200?
What is it about your current lens that disappoints you? Have you considered that maybe it's not a problem with the lens?

Thanks for the correction I appreciate it :D

So you think you 'deserve' somehow to get a new lens after using the 18-200 for a year now? If you feel you deserve it and have the money then go and buy, enjoy the thrill of GAS (Gear Acquiring Syndrome) - but don't be too disappointed that nothing will change in your pictures. If your pictures look only so-so with 18-200 then chances are good they still will look this way with any other lens. Reason is simple (deduced from your description): you have yet to understand that 80% of a good image come from the person behind the viewfinder, only a small portion comes from the equipment. Your 18-200 is able to provide good quality (check the reviews and compare if you don't believe it). Regarding your list of lenses: do compare the weight with your current equipment. Especially since it seems you want to replace one lens with at least 2 new ones.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Maybe I only have this Gear Acquiring Syndrome. I'm disappointed with the IQ of the lens and I think to upgrade from the kit lens will improve the image quality. I'm also looking for a wider aperture lens.

Last edited:
Canon 300mm f/4L IS. Extra reach (300mm tighter than 200mm), one stop wider f/4 compared to f/5.6. Plus its white color. Swee swee.

Thanks guys for the response. I think i'm looking for a wider aperture lens because i'm a bit frustrated when I cannot use wider than 5.6 aperture when I'm on tele side. Size and weight is not an issue I just think my 18-200 lacks on the wider aperture on the tele-side.

Then get the 300mm f/2.8 for your tele lens since weight is not a problem. Or 70-200mm f/2.8 IS with a 1.5X converter (giving you a105-200mm f/4 IS) or with a 2X converter (giving you 140-400mm f/5.6 IS - square one). Check the weight, and price of these lenses from cs price list.

How wide do you need? If f/4 then you may consider 70-200L IS, if you need f/2.8 you can get the 70-200L f/2.8 IS. Both are equally good.

Or if money is not an issue you may consider getting the 200 f/2L or 300 f/2.8L. Drop the 70-300L from your list since that lens is an f/5.6.

Not sure how I could answer this without facepalm-ing myself.... :sweat:

1st off... what is your desired max focus range ?? 55mm, 70mm, 105mm, 300mm
2nd... what is your desired max F-Stop ?? f2.8 or f4

All 4 lens you have listed is difference...

* 17-55mm on your 60D, becomes a general purpose lens of 27.2-88mm (in 35mm)
* 24-70mm & 24-105mm on your 60D, becomes a slightly narrower general purpose lens of 38.4-112/168mm (due to crop factor)
* 70-300mm on your 60D, becomes a telephoto lens of 112-480mm (due to crop factor)

So...

* How does having the 17-55mm solve your problem of ''cannot use wider than 5.6 aperture when I'm on tele side" when your lens reach 200mm and the 17-55mm could only reach 55mm ?? Same thing with both 24-70m and 24-105mm...
* 70-300mm at a range of 155-228mm has an aperture of f5.0... at 229-300mm, f5.6... which isn't too difference from your 18-200mm

Ok... here is the short answer

1) Get the 17-55mm if you are not going FF anytime soon and you don't mind have only a max range of 55mm (88mm)
2) Get 24-70mm or 24-105mm (depending which is more important to you.. f2.8 or f4) but you'll lose your Wide Angle of 28mm but gain in range (112mm or 168mm)
3) Get the 70-200mm f4 IS... or if you have the budget 70-200mm f2.8 IS MkII... both will give you a constant aperture of f4/f2.8 throughout the whole range of 70mm to 200mm

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!!!

Even travel takes many form. A trip to safari and one to Himalayas would probably be different. Unfortunately there is no one lens do all. You need to consider what you are using the lens for.

Even travel takes many form. A trip to safari and one to Himalayas would probably be different. Unfortunately there is no one lens do all. You need to consider what you are using the lens for.

yah, need to know which focal length u like best.

are u a wide person?

or

are u a zoom person?

if want a one lens fit all, then 18-200 is still the best choice.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Maybe I only have this Gear Acquiring Syndrome. I'm disappointed with the IQ of the lens and I think to upgrade from the kit lens will improve the image quality. I'm also looking for a wider aperture lens.
Exactly what are you disappointed about? Can you please describe this in detail, maybe showing us a few example pictures? Also, have you done any post-processing? That's one way to improve images - or bring out those details you want to highlight. DSLR are usually set to a moderate image processing (in contrast to the popping settings of PnS cams) which is meant this way so that the photographer can decide which way to process. This has nothing to do with lenses.