Help on choosing for an upgrade lense for my Canon EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6 IS

Hi rotlerrotler,
It's your money if you want to get a new lens, and it's definitely your own prerogative if you want to do so. But like all everyone above me who have posted (in some form or another); I will like to say it's not only the equipment that matters. I would say your personal shooting style is what matters.

You mentioned that the aperture at the tele end of your 18-200 is a limitation for you. I'm sure you have found out that using f5.6 at 200mm is limiting you in what you want to shoot; but since you did not mention anything much about this; I am making a couple of assumptions here:
1. f5.6 at 200mm doesn't give you enough shutter speed to handhold comfortably?
2. f5.6 doesn't give you a fast enough shutter speed to freeze action?

So to solve that issue, your best choice will be the 70-200mm f2.8. Note the weight when you do your research before splurging 3K++ (IS version) on it though. The 70-300L won't solve this particular issue since its biggest aperture at 200mm is f5.0.

However if you indeed choose the 70-200mm, note that you will lose the wide range of your 18-200mm. Unless you are fine with shooting mainly tele, getting the 70-200 will not get you a general-purpose all-in-one lens.

If you want to replace the range of your 18-200, and since your 60D has a cropped sensor, you might need to get get two lenses instead, one to cover the wider range, if cost is not a factor, i'd suggest to you the excellent 16-35mm f2.8 or the 17-55mm. Then you will have two solid lenses to cover both the wide and tele ends of your current 18-200 range. However, do note you will have to change lenses instead of having a general-purpose all-in-one lens that you can keep mounted on your camera for most occasions.

Just need help on choosing for an upgrade lense for my EF-S 18-200 mm F3.5-5.6 IS. I been using this on my Canon 60D for almost a year. I'm looking for a good IQ lense which can be used for general photography and travel use. I have these following lenses on my mind:

1. EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
2. EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
3. EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
4. EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Thanks in advance!!!
Sorry..but when i saw the list of lenses you shortlisted..
i cant help but to think.. Do you know what you actually want?

you said you want wider aperture on the tele end.. your 18-200 tele end is 200. So.. Why are you even considering 1, 2 , 3 lenses. They dont even have 200mm reach to start with. So you only left with lens number 4.. 70-300... Yes..that lens at 200mm will not be F5.6. But it will be not far from F5.6..So it makes very little differences..IMO..(thats as good as no differences at all)
So yes. If you are only looking for wide aperture at tele end of 200. Looks like the 70-200 F2.8 fits the bill. lol...

Last edited:
TS.. sell the 18-200mm and get yourself..

- 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
- 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM

I find 100mm Macro 2.8 a lens that I often go around to shoot with. I find it being a general purpose lens because it can shoot portrait and macro. If done well, it can even be used to take scenery. It can handle low light and is extremely sharp. To me, that lens fits your description of a "travel lens with wider aperture and good IQ". Though I doubt you would feel the same when you use it because our habit when shooting is different. So please describe what you want exactly and how you shoot.

If IQ is your real problem, don't bother changing. You probably won't see much improvement even if you change lens. The money is better spent of a few books teaching you some theories on photography.

Last edited: