Help on choosing a camera

Dec 2, 2010
Around the world
Hi guys,

I have read as much as I can within my time limits about the kind of cameras I want to purchase to i think the next fastest way to get some good feedback to post here. I'll give you a little background information myself and on what I am looking for in a camera. Right now I have a Canon G12:

1. First it has to be small (I guess I've debated this a long time with myself). Reason being I am now travelling around the world, and don't want to be carrying something bulky with me. Also I would like the mcamera to be smaller because it is more discreet and less intrusive. I think the G12 is maybe slightly smaller than the maximum size I would accept.

2. Quality pictures. I have now fiddled around with the Canon G12's manual controls and I know how to use most of them, which is why I am thinking of upgrading. Sometimes I look at the pictures of my G12 and am dismayed that I could not have a better camera. I usually print only the standard size pho, but would like to shoot some photos that are good enough for wallpapers I guess.

3. Dustproof (hopefully?). Of course I know you can't have everything, so I guess I will have to sacrifice one of the few things listed here. The reason I would like it to be dustproff, or at least to be able to lean the dust by myself is this: now the photos I am taking have crazy amounts of dust because they found their way into my G12. Just in the last 9 months I have been to 4 deserts, and they are not very friendly to cameras. So that's the reason why I am hoping this camera I am looking at can be dustproof.

4. Pricepoint. Now this is a tricky one. I think I am willing to pay DSLR prics if they can meet all my criteria. I think though the Leicas are out of my reach. Of late I have been very interested in the Fuji X100, and it looks like hte X1-Pro is coming out, and seems like a good camera. The Sony NEX-7 seems quite well equipped but i have not read as much on that as the Fujis I guess. I'm not sure which of the DSLRs which are smaller and lighter can compete with these. I guess those are the cameras I'm looking at, and if there is not real dustproof solution at that size, I might just get a Fuji X10 or something.

Thanks all for reading this and helping me out! Happy Chinese New Year!

Poster-sized? How large are we talking here? If you want high-res, go for the NEX-7 with 24mp. Or if u can wait, you could go for the Xpro1, though it might not have as many megapixels.

The x100 and x10 are compacts with aps-c sensors, but you can't changebthe lenses. And for the x100, you're stuck with a 35mm focal length. So what's your pick?

I would say it's down to handling and ergonomics for you. Right now, i'm guessing you would go for the x10, but if u wait a little longer, you can try the NEX-7 and Xpro1 to see if compact interchangeable lens cameras suit you more

Prints - You may also want to clarify the size of the prints that you will be making...for me, normally 4R, and in this size, almost any camera looks ok....

Dust - Live with it, so long as it does not affect the image quality. If you are looking into DSLR offerings, know that when you change lens, dust may get in and worse that hitting the lens, it hits the sensors. Also, if you are looking for those weatherproof ones (1D, D3 etc.), it will only be weatherproof if you get a weatherproof lens. But will still be subjected to dust invasion when changing lens. If you really want a dustproof camera, I think those underwater ones will do nicely....*should be* confirm dustproof.

X100 - like Kei mentioned, it's a permanent 35mm FOV, if you can live with it, go ahead.

Happy New Year to you too :)

Hi guys,

I have read as much as I can within my time limits about the kind of cameras I want to purchase to i think the next fastest way to get some good feedback to post here. I'll give you a little background information myself and on what I am looking for in a camera. Right now I have a Canon G12:

1. First it has to be small (I guess I've debated this a long time with myself). Reason being I am now travelling around the world, and don't want to be carrying something bulky with me. Also I would like the mcamera to be smaller because it is more discreet and less intrusive. I think the G12 is maybe slightly smaller than the maximum size I would accept.

2. Quality pictures. I have now fiddled around with the Canon G12's manual controls and I know how to use most of them, which is why I am thinking of upgrading. Sometimes I look at the pictures of my G12 and am dismayed that I could not have a better camera. I usually print only the standard size pho, but would like to shoot some photos that are good enough for wallpapers I guess.

3. Dustproof (hopefully?). Of course I know you can't have everything, so I guess I will have to sacrifice one of the few things listed here. The reason I would like it to be dustproff, or at least to be able to lean the dust by myself is this: now the photos I am taking have crazy amounts of dust because they found their way into my G12. Just in the last 9 months I have been to 4 deserts, and they are not very friendly to cameras. So that's the reason why I am hoping this camera I am looking at can be dustproof.

4. Pricepoint. Now this is a tricky one. I think I am willing to pay DSLR prics if they can meet all my criteria. I think though the Leicas are out of my reach. Of late I have been very interested in the Fuji X100, and it looks like hte X1-Pro is coming out, and seems like a good camera. The Sony NEX-7 seems quite well equipped but i have not read as much on that as the Fujis I guess. I'm not sure which of the DSLRs which are smaller and lighter can compete with these. I guess those are the cameras I'm looking at, and if there is not real dustproof solution at that size, I might just get a Fuji X10 or something.

Thanks all for reading this and helping me out! Happy Chinese New Year!
hmmm

1) Small, light, good performance..then u just gotta look into the compact and mirrorless cameras.

2) Cameras nowadays are all able to shoot good quality pictures if you do a correct exposure..wallpaper..how big? usually even 12 Megapixel could be alot already..like somebody else mention..the new Sony Nex 7 gives like 24 Megapixels. Its small and light too. But quite costly IMO.

3) Dust are everywhere..sooner or later they will accumulate and give you some trouble. The best thing you could do is only to maintain and clean it regularly and try not to expose it too long in harsh condition (like you mentioned deserts then thats really tough.no choice). No worries, You can get those dust off anyway..Either by DIY cleaning or sending it to the care center.

4) Many compacts and mirrorless nowadays are priced at DSLR or cheaper these days. So if you are willing to pay DSLR prices. i dont see any problem.. IMO..do consider 1 that have the ability to change lens...becos who knows you might feel the current 1 limiting you in anyway..Then you can consider lens instead of another camera or whatever..If you dont see a need..then its ok.. just my 2 cents.

i think there are many cameras out there that can satisfy all your criteria, except for the dust-proofing (weather-seal?). weather seal is a feature mostly reserved for the higher-end cameras.
if its really a requirement, a pentax k-5 with a matching WR(weather resistant) lens should be among the cheapest choice (from what i know)

TS,
the current crop of mirrorless cameras should be able to satisfy most of your requirements.

Regarding the image quality issue, I hope you aren't too quick to blame the equipment as the limiting factor. If you look at some photos on image hosting sites like Flickr, taken with G12, some are pretty awesome. This is a testament to what is capable in the right hands.

Desert environment is pretty harsh I guess. Surprised it has affected your G12 greatly. Since the lens cannot be changed, the G12 should be more resistant to such adversity. A blower cannot remove the dust/sand?

Pentax K5.
Smaller that any dslr in its class.
Rugged magnesium alloy body
Weather resistant, so that includes dust
Cheap kit lenses that are weather sealed
High grade zooms with weather resistance if you need those
One of the best performing aps-c dslr around
Highest dynamic range at base iso
Very good high iso performance.

All this at $1220 for body only

Check out DPreview yourself

Only thing is that its not the size of a G12. Still its the smallest in its class. Small lenses too.

Edit : (now got more time to type properly from my PC)

Otherwise, any of the MILC systems can serve you well.
As for dust, you just have to manage it (eg. change lens using a cover or in less dusty places; don't change lens much using a 'normal' prime or a zoom, etc)
Just make sure the MILC system has the lenses you need (eg. UWA or WA; normal; short tele; zoom ; etc)

These 2 threads always serve as a good reference/reminder for me on what these small systems can do nowadays with the right technique and eye for the shot.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/968740-traveling-my-mirrorless-pen.html
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/711715-[adrewine]-~-around-world-oly.html

Last edited:
NEX-7, NEX-5N - very very small size, a little bigger than your G12, and provide excellent pic quality.
Nikon V1/J1 - really small, the lens also very small, and pic quality is definitely better than your G12
Olympus - EP3, EPL3, EPM1 - all of them quite small too and pic quality is good.
Panasonic - GX1 - juicy piece of 16MP camera, really good too.

Well that is a few of the mirrorless camera you can look into. If you do not want the hassle of lens changing and stuff like that, have a look at Fujifilm X10 or if you wait a bit longer, you can get a Canon G1X which had a large sensor and is said to have better noise control than even the 7D... but price wise - don't know. And since you already have a G12, I doubt the controls in the Canon G1X is any different or much different from the G12.

Looks like the dust requirement will limit your choice of cameras. You might want to consider a weathersealed DSLR or MILC with the most effective way of keeping dust off their sensors.

One camera not mentioned yet is the upcoming OM-D series from Olympus. It will be the first weathersealed MILC, with a weathersealed kit lens.

Thanks all for your suggestions! Will look into it when I reach a stop with more camera offerings. Africa is not best place for cameras anyway heh. I guess I will wait for the Nex-7 and Fuji X1 Pro.

Thanks for rhino123 for the list! Very useful and I will definitely look into those.
pinholecam: will look into that to see if it is small enough for my purposes! One thing about DSLRs is that when I want to shoot some HDRs or low light I have to bring a stable tripod along, which will add further to the weight. Right now the tripod out of the box works very well for my G12 and is light ... so :) Also much thanks for the links! His pictures from the pen looks great!!!
ZerocoolAstra: Well actually it is precisely I have seen the pictures on flickr and the resolution of it that is what I meant by quality. Of course for normal size prints it is probably not noticeable but often I zoom in and see that hte sky is not smooth despite using a tripod and all that, and that's why I am thinking of an upgrade. Also the dust is actually inside the optics unit - short of changing it the canon guy says there is no alternative ... it may or may not be covered by the warranty and depends on my luck :(
elgkh: Thanks! Will look into it as well!

Please keep the suggestions coming! I have limited access to internet now ... will try to revisit as soon as possible! and when I have made my choice will let you guys know :) Plus I have tons of pics now ... I guess I just need to sort all of them out. Right now ... travelling is the higher priority compared to taking pictures :D

Thanks all!!!