help on camera backpacks =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheree

Aug 25, 2007
Yishun, Singapore
Hi! I am interested in getting backpacks for my camera because i dont like my sling back.
Any tips on which ones to get?

I did some research and here are the ones im considering:

Lowepro CompuDaypack
Lowepro Fastpack 100
Lowepro Fastpack 200
Flipside 200
Flipside 300

I don't need the laptop compartment and i won't be carrying a tripod.

i'm using the bag for travelling (in cities) or local purposes only. not nature trekking or backpacking.

I'd prefer a bag that is lighter but also tough.

I'm currently using a Nikon D70 and would like a bag that would allow me to carry 2-3 lenses including the one that will be on the camera body.

Meanwhile, I don't really know what other brands of backpacks are there.. so if anyone can throw some brand names in for me to google I'd be grateful too!

TIA! :)

can take a look at vanguard brand also , personally find them nicer and tougher.

Lowepro CompuDaypack
Lowepro Fastpack 100
Lowepro Fastpack 200
Flipside 200
Flipside 300

if you don't need laptop compartment, try not to get bags with laptop compartment, they are a lot more blocky and bulky and outstanding in the wrong way, if you do not need it.

my suggestion is actually orion trekker II, but fastpack and flipside might be better because easier to change lenses.

frankly speaking, when it comes to accessibility and quickly changing lenses, better to get a good sling bag. why do you not like them? :)

depending on your preference
the main differences

Lowepro CompuDaypack -
- has larger compartment for misc stuff
- but need to put down your packpack to access camera

Lowepro Fastpack 200
- can access camera while slinging bag on one shoulder, similar to slingshoot
- some space for misc stuff

Flipside 200
- need to get used to using the belt strip to be able to swing the bag to the front to access camera
- no delicate compartment for misc stuff

for your setup, 300 series would be too big for you,
another thing is to check out the backpack strips if they are comfortable enough for long hours of carry ...

I think you can consider "Lowepro Fastpack 200" :)

i use Tamrac adventure 7, because its nicely compact and can fit all the equipment i need and has nifty compartment at top and cost me $100.

flipside 300
thanks for your feedback!

can take a look at vanguard brand also , personally find them nicer and tougher.
ok! never really heard of them though, but google will help! ;)

vanguard!!! that's the brand i've been raking my brain to remember!!! ahhhh! wat a huge relief! thanx.
:D thanks!

if you don't need laptop compartment, try not to get bags with laptop compartment, they are a lot more blocky and bulky and outstanding in the wrong way, if you do not need it.

my suggestion is actually orion trekker II, but fastpack and flipside might be better because easier to change lenses.

frankly speaking, when it comes to accessibility and quickly changing lenses, better to get a good sling bag. why do you not like them? :)

Thanks for the tip! Will take note of that..
Yes i like flipside and fastpack due to the ability to switch lenses quickly. I just checked orion's design.. looks nicer hehe. but if practicality, of course the choice goes back to flipside and fastpack again..

oops i mean i dont like shoulder bags.. haha. i have a nikon shoulder bag and it's so bulky. sling bags i guess are okay i guess but preference still goes to backpack. maybe cus used to carrying backpacks during school days in primary sch :bsmilie:

depending on your preference
the main differences

Lowepro CompuDaypack -
- has larger compartment for misc stuff
- but need to put down your packpack to access camera

Lowepro Fastpack 200
- can access camera while slinging bag on one shoulder, similar to slingshoot
- some space for misc stuff

Flipside 200
- need to get used to using the belt strip to be able to swing the bag to the front to access camera
- no delicate compartment for misc stuff

for your setup, 300 series would be too big for you,
another thing is to check out the backpack strips if they are comfortable enough for long hours of carry ...

I think you can consider "Lowepro Fastpack 200"

thank you so much for breaking down the pros and cons for me! it makes my selection easier!

i use Tamrac adventure 7, because its nicely compact and can fit all the equipment i need and has nifty compartment at top and cost me $100.

ok! i will check it out =) thanks for the tip!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454559

how about targus? doesnt exactly look like a camera bag at first glance but works like one very comfortably. and for $39, some more hahaha.

$39 sounds tempting :bsmilie: will do more research on it! :D

I own a CompuDayPack. If you wanna place 3 lenses and a camera into your camera compartment, it might be quite a squeeze. And if it's just gonna be a camera bag and you're not placing any other misc. stuff, then it wouldn't be worth your money. I use my CompuDayPack as my school bag as well, so I have papers in my laptop compartment when I'm not using it for my laptop, and stuff like notebooks and pencil cases in the other compartment. The camera compartment would be filled with other stuff (waterbottle, spare clothes etc) on days when I don't bring my camera.

And as what some have mentioned, if you're looking for quick switching of lenses, the CompuDayPack isn't the best choice around. Get a flipside I guess.

I own a CompuDayPack. If you wanna place 3 lenses and a camera into your camera compartment, it might be quite a squeeze. And if it's just gonna be a camera bag and you're not placing any other misc. stuff, then it wouldn't be worth your money. I use my CompuDayPack as my school bag as well, so I have papers in my laptop compartment when I'm not using it for my laptop, and stuff like notebooks and pencil cases in the other compartment. The camera compartment would be filled with other stuff (waterbottle, spare clothes etc) on days when I don't bring my camera.

And as what some have mentioned, if you're looking for quick switching of lenses, the CompuDayPack isn't the best choice around. Get a flipside I guess.

Lol yeah! considering others, i'm more likely to get the others than compudaypack.. like night86mare said, since it has a laptop compartment means it's more bulky.. and i hate bulky bags. heh.

hmmm...how about rover aw or rover aw plus? don look like a camera bag, and can carry a tripod to boot...

hi there, i have the fastpack 250 which is ideal for carrying a laptop with easy to change lenses option but it is too large for day to day.

flipside is a nice option if you wana keep your gear safe.

personally am interested in the flipsides and the kata kn3n1.

hmmm...how about rover aw or rover aw plus? don look like a camera bag, and can carry a tripod to boot...

haha. it's heavier than the other bags and considering that nikon body is quite heavy.. it may not be a good option (am not very tall already.. don't want to shrink further :bsmilie: :bsmilie: ) but thanks for your input anyway! :D

hi there, i have the fastpack 250 which is ideal for carrying a laptop with easy to change lenses option but it is too large for day to day.

flipside is a nice option if you wana keep your gear safe.

personally am interested in the flipsides and the kata kn3n1.

hmm, why would you say that flipside is a safer bag? cus of the nature of the opening so u wont drop your camera when u open?

A fellow CS-er asked about flipside 200 and 300. Personally i have a flipside 200 and I did some image of how much stuff one can pack into the bag.

If your 2-3 lens does not include long tele lens then the 200 is most likely sufficient. it a nice small compact bag that can carry lots of camera gears, allow u to mount long lens on camera and still fit inside the bag. the waist belt is very useful for quick access to all your stuff in your bag while walking around, no need to set your bag down to change lens or find your gears

http://www.clubsnap.com
/forums/showthread.php?t=490155

A fellow CS-er asked about flipside 200 and 300. Personally i have a flipside 200 and I did some image of how much stuff one can pack into the bag.

If your 2-3 lens does not include long tele lens then the 200 is most likely sufficient. it a nice small compact bag that can carry lots of camera gears, allow u to mount long lens on camera and still fit inside the bag. the waist belt is very useful for quick access to all your stuff in your bag while walking around, no need to set your bag down to change lens or find your gears

http://www.clubsnap.com
/forums/showthread.php?t=490155

thanks for the tip! just saw the thread.
hmm that means flipside 200 will only fit 2 lenses (including the one mounted on the camera)? Cus im still not sure if i will end up buying another lens for my collection :bsmilie: but even so, maybe 3 lenses to carry around is a bit heavy also anyway.. hmm

thanks for the input!

thanks for the tip! just saw the thread.
hmm that means flipside 200 will only fit 2 lenses (including the one mounted on the camera)? Cus im still not sure if i will end up buying another lens for my collection :bsmilie: but even so, maybe 3 lenses to carry around is a bit heavy also anyway.. hmm

thanks for the input!

My 2 lens are long lenses (6-6.5 inch) thus can only fit 2, if your lenses are those short type 3-3.5 inch long, u can have 3 lenses including the one on the camera.

My 2 lens are long lenses (6-6.5 inch) thus can only fit 2, if your lenses are those short type 3-3.5 inch long, u can have 3 lenses including the one on the camera.

oh! that's great because the lenses i'm considering to buy are quite short. thanks so much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.