Help on buying DSLR camera for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry2308

Aug 30, 2005
Kembangan
Hi guys,I would like to go into DSLR but with a budget of $800..
What camera would u guys recommend a beginner to get?
Was thinking of the canon 300d second hand.or shd i just get a fz5 or fz 20?
Would really appreciate all you help.

i'd say, with a $800 budget ... go for a FZ20 and cheap flash ...

I doubt you can get a 2nd hand 300D with lens for $800, unless the condition is not-so-good. Perhaps you can get a good condition prosumer.

It might be possible to go for a used 300D plus an EF-S 18-55mm kit lens. If you do not need the responsiveness or high ISO performance of a DSLR, consider getting the Canon PowerShot S2 IS new. That will give you a good package that's capable of photography and some basic videography.

jerry2308 said:
Hi guys,I would like to go into DSLR but with a budget of $800..
What camera would u guys recommend a beginner to get?
Was thinking of the canon 300d second hand.or shd i just get a fz5 or fz 20?
Would really appreciate all you help.

If you're tight on budget and new to photography, try getting a prosumer instead.
Getting a DSLR is an heavy investment, there are tons of stuff to buy... lens, dry cabinet, filters, blower, bag... etc.

I do not like the output of the FZ-5 or the FZ-20 series. It's just simply not clear enuf.
The Sony DSC-H1 and the Canon S-2 Pro are excellent prosumers and have wide zoom range. Moreover they accept 58mm filters which are compatible to many Canon Lens.
However, don't just take my word for it, try it at any camera stalls to compare the differences.

Getting a 300d would mean that you require extra lens to achieve the optical zoom requirement.

Just my $0.20 worth.

Ok,does the sony H1 and the canon S2 have image stabiliser?

Eh... you looking at DSLRs or DCs?

hmm..initially looking at DSLR.But since u guys say i shd rather spend the money on prosumser instead so i have narrowed down my choice to either sony H1,canon S2 and the Fz5.

jerry2308 said:
hmm..initially looking at DSLR.But since u guys say i shd rather spend the money on prosumser instead so i have narrowed down my choice to either sony H1,canon S2 and the Fz5.
at the end of the day, it still depends on you....if you are really into photography, go for a DSLR so that you won't have to upgrade later....but if you are not sure if you will suddenly loose intrest anot..go for the prosumer....:)

why are u going for all the superzooms? Big zoom dun equal to good cameras. For one thing, more zoom means more elements and quality might suffer. The lens is also slow. Focusing at the long end is gonna be REAL slow.
I would really suggest u try canon's G series. Get a old G3 or G5 for under $500 or even a new G6 ( highly recommended )and learn with it. Fast lens, good sensor and good images that can rival quality from the DSLRs of last generation. Nikon's 5400 is also a good choice as it has built in wide angle.

I wana get this few becos i want the Image stabilizer.I am currently using the Sony W5 but when taking night shot without the tripod, the image is very blur due to shaking. therefore,looking at cameras with IS.Anyone to recommend?

with night shots, IS wouldn't help much. IS from pro-sumers might give u two extra stops ( theoretically) but probably will be 1-1.5 stops more..
in night time, the shutter might be as high as 1 sec...or 1/8, 1/15... 1-1.5 stops gives u 1/2, 1/16 and 1/30 shutter, which isn't good enuff for handholding esp for

1) a small digi cam ( Slrs are more stable as they are bigger, heavier and u hold it close to ur face

2) at the far end of the zoom, its even harder to remove handshake

3)IS might reduce handshake but it doesn't freeze action

its better to go for a camera with good high ISO or with a fast lens...

jerry2308 said:
I wana get this few becos i want the Image stabilizer.I am currently using the Sony W5 but when taking night shot without the tripod, the image is very blur due to shaking. therefore,looking at cameras with IS.Anyone to recommend?

you require a tripod for nightshots as you require long exposures. period. :bsmilie: Otherwise you can make a small bean bag for your cam to sit on somewhere stable. at the end of the day, the moral of the story is that you need something to brace the cam.

Cheers~

okok..i get what u guys are saying..meaning IS is not very useful for night shot right.So do u guys suggest i change to another camera or just stick with my Sony W5?

Why don't you stick to what you have at the moment? Just enjoy the photographic experience, and save up now. Prices will certainly go down in future with new models coming out. When you have saved up enought, then decide in getting the camera that you need.

blive said:
Why don't you stick to what you have at the moment? Just enjoy the photographic experience, and save up now. Prices will certainly go down in future with new models coming out. When you have saved up enought, then decide in getting the camera that you need.

I second that. Just bought my Nikon D50 last month for 1488 and now the price is about 1300 already... and getting a DSLR means a whole host of accessories like lens, bag, flash, dry-cabi, blower etc will soon follow suit. You'll need them!

So save first, explore with your W5 and when you feel you need to have more manual control and feel your creativity is restricted by the W5, go get a dslR!

If you plan on taking nite scenery, some exposures can be easily 10 - 20 seconds. Without tripod, with or without IS also useless. I think its more important for you to understand photography first b4 deciding on what you need. Know what it takes, in terms of camera settings, to capture images before advancing beyond your W5.

Status
Not open for further replies.