Help on buying diamond ring....

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
:embrass: Thought I knew fairbit about diamonds.....till now.

I know the 4 Cs: Carat, Clarity, Cut and Color.

I came across diamonds that is nice in weight, clarity like IF-VVS1 and round cut...but the color is K-L. Is it worth considering?

http://cn.bluenile.com/diamonds/diamond-color

From bluenile,

"D Absolutely colorless. The highest color grade. Extremely rare.
E-F Colorless. Minute traces of color can be detected by an expert gemologist. A rare diamond.
G-H Near-colorless. Color difficult to detect unless compared side-by-side against diamonds of better grades. An excellent value.
I-J Near-colorless. An exceptional value with slightly detectable warmth or tone.
K-M Noticeable color.
N-Z Noticeable color.

What Color is Right for Me?

•For the purist, look for a colorless diamond with a grade of D-F for a diamond with no discernible color.

•For an excellent value in a diamond with little or no noticeable color to the unaided eye, look for a near-colorless grade of G-I"

I came across diamonds that is nice in weight, clarity like IF-VVS1 and round cut...but the color is K-L. Is it worth considering?

i would always advice against buying a big diamond with lousy colour. the yellowish colour of the stone would really show in a big diamond and it basically spells "cheap" of the person wearing it. I would rather go for a stone size that is appropriate for the hand size and pay for a good colour stone.

i would always advice against buying a big diamond with lousy colour. the yellowish colour of the stone would really show in a big diamond and it basically spells "cheap" of the person wearing it. I would rather go for a stone size that is appropriate for the hand size and pay for a good colour stone.

agree, and i personally feel the cut can make a good difference.
That's they reason why Tiffany & Co is very ex, they claim their cut makes diamond looks bigger and have more sparkle :)
And one more thing, somehow women can see diamond's color better than guys. So if they see it's a bit yellowish, gone case man hehehe

And one more thing, somehow women can see diamond's color better than guys. So if they see it's a bit yellowish, gone case man hehehe

hmm...but i think pple only care about the Carat size lor

That's why for the 4Cs....color rank last :bsmilie:

Clarity? no one will use microscope to check the stone everyday.

IMO, only Carat and Cut matters...a good cut will ensure the stone sparkle

IF/VVS1 is considered very good. you can't have anything beyond IF. As for colour, grade G or H is should be widely accepted by collectors. other factors to consider are cut and polish.

k i shall post something random here.
diamonds are not forever. graphite is:bsmilie:
forgot why is it like tat. has to do with chem bonding:think:

K to L, if you have non hazy but strong blue fluorescence, you may consider cuz it may look whiter or unique

and for that color range, dont go for regular 57 facet heart and arrows cut, if possible go for a more faceted one.. i.e. gabrielle, but i seriously doubt people would cut a strong color diamond with a gabrielle cut

if all that matters to you is carat size, look at the celistar series at SK jewellery, non GIA certified etc, have their own celistar cert, and is cheaper than most. occasionally you can find a good cut, but dont expect cut perfection, its not one of the diamonds you would expect to look good under a scope apart from the size. i saw a 1.06 carat, H color for abt $4k+ still sparkles cuz of size.

if you intend to give something of better quality, to be admired under a scope, then you may consider various cuts.

traditional cuts 57-58 facet types, with hearts and arrow cut ideality, you can look at lee hwa/goldheart/citigem's destinee, perfect love, polaris ice, arctic and at sookee/SK, you can ask for true love, fuego, etc. these are the more "ideal" cut diamonds. most will come with a scope for viewing

non ideal cut, all shops have.

modified cuts.. you can consider leehwa/goldheart/citigems.. rosella at 89 facets, perfect rose at 73 facet, celestial 73 facet.. destinee royal 81 facets etc.. at SK/sookee you can look at brilliant rose 66 facet... or charlotte attelier.. for the gabrielle...105 facet.. or the lazare diamond at larry jewellery. the lazare diamond is totally non heart and arrow, but ideally cut within some tolkovsky specs

you may also want to consider whether you want a diamond, that is big, or it is more brilliant... or has more fire.. diff cut.. diff specs.. but remember.. it doesnt mean more facet is good... cuz sometimes it can increase the possibility of light leakage etc.

to me no point it will look pale yellow if its IF, and VVS1.

a G-H color with VS2 or SI1,SI2, if chosen carefully, the inclusions cannot be seen with naked eye.

agree, and i personally feel the cut can make a good difference.
That's they reason why Tiffany & Co is very ex, they claim their cut makes diamond looks bigger and have more sparkle :)

i think the most "valuable" part of a Tiffany & Co diamond.. is the box it comes in with the big brand there :p

Fully agree. :thumbsup:
Sometimes the bright blue box with the white ribbon speaks more eloquently than whatever diamond is in it.

Without further dissecting the technical aspects of diamonds, why not think what matters to the recipient of the gift rather than what the actual value of such-and-such a diamond is? Perceived value to girls appears to be (in decreasing order of significance): Carat > Cost > Cut/Colour/Clarity. Girls may not be as schooled in the 4 Cs as we may assume, but what is plainly visible, and opens doors to bragging rights, is the size of the diamond. If it is not too big, the next thought will go to "how much did it cost"? Subordinate to those will come cut/colour/clarity, as these are not easily observable not even if she brings a loupe for her friends to examine your hard-earned present! Of course if you bring Brand into the equation, then it throws most of the above out of the window, as they will be blinded by the Brand, as well as the implied Cost. :p

Having said the above though, it may be better to stay away from the colours below "J" and maybe even those below VS2 (varies case-by-case, inspect the diamond and its GIA cert if the inclusion is obvious e.g. on the table or the crown of the diamond). Some ladies have bionic eyes. :bsmilie:
i think the most "valuable" part of a Tiffany & Co diamond.. is the box it comes in with the big brand there :p

At the end of the day, the girl wearing it must feel proud of wearing it. If she goes out with her friends and they go "Waaahh... Woww!... Nice!" without stating the diamond specifications, then you have a clear winner. =)

At the end of the day, the girl wearing it must feel proud of wearing it. If she goes out with her friends and they go "Waaahh... Woww!... Nice!" without stating the diamond specifications, then you have a clear winner. =)

Oh the specs will always be exchanged with more notes than dpreview on any latest camera. :rolleyes:

When in doubt, get something that allows for those "upgrades" within 2 years. Most jewellery chains like Soo Kee and Lee Hwa will have those. Then when you find out she has bionic eyes, at least there's a plan B.

colour is very important.. dun buy big but yellow ones... sure kenna whacked....

Hi,

Always stick with GIA / HRD certified.

There are some unscrupulous agencies that overvalue diamonds for a fee. Thus the above mentioned is the safest.

Based on my personal experience 'I' Color is still White after that trained eyes or bionic eyes can see the yellowish tint in it.

Regards,

Always stick with GIA / HRD certified.

AGS cert is supposed to be even better than GIA, but i think those selling in singapore are GIA cert the most as the GIA cert is cheaper.

Mine is AGS cert with the serial number engraved along the edge

2ec2dl2.jpg