HELP! Nikon D80 vs Fujifilm S5 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2009
any s5 Pro users out there? i need some input from you guys. im buying my own dslr soon and m stuck between this 2 camera for now. my main purpose is to take scenery shots during travel trips or locally. ive seen alot of nikon vs canon threads. i'd like to know how the s5 pro match up to the nikon d80. your input is greatly appreciated. thanks guys =)

Please read the Fujifilm threads under Equipment Discussion section if you will. So far many good things have been said about the S5 Pro. I am an S5 Pro owner and I am a happy camper.

any s5 Pro users out there? i need some input from you guys. im buying my own dslr soon and m stuck between this 2 camera for now. my main purpose is to take scenery shots during travel trips or locally. ive seen alot of nikon vs canon threads. i'd like to know how the s5 pro match up to the nikon d80. your input is greatly appreciated. thanks guys =)

Hello...welcome.

Both would do well for scenery shots. You may want to compare the price & features of both cameras before deciding. You may also want to take a look at what Sony, Pentax and Olympus can offer you too.

Happy shopping.

if you're going for speed then D80 else just go for S5pro. if you want to travel light then go wif olympus E620 which is smaller size. from camera to prints, then S5pro is your best bet.

please bear in mind that S5pro uses Nikon mount lenses. if you're starting new in photography, whichever brands you're going for also means which type of systems you're going for.

my $0.10 worth.

thanks for ur inputs.very valuable.thanks! i heard that the s5pro produces very natural shots. which is what im looking for. any other cameras of similar calibre can give me such shots?

i don'tthink im going for speed. i won't be taking those sports shots. just looking to take mainly scenery shots and perhaps some human potraiture

2 Different Cameras....

if i was given a choice, I would get the S5pro..the skin tone you can get out of this camera...so yummy...

plus you get to use nikkor lenses on it...wow..
*Fantasizes on S5Pro with 17-55 nikkor....*(Droolz)

d80..pro-amateur uh..its abit unfair to compare with the s5Pro...you could however compare the d300 or d200 to it..

But honestly...go for the S5Pro if u have a chance..can hardly find 1st hand ones now....if you want another camera..can always get another nikon in the end since both uses same lens...but do not pass off the S5Pro.....

2 Different Cameras....

if i was given a choice, I would get the S5pro..the skin tone you can get out of this camera...so yummy...

d80..pro-amateur uh..its abit unfair to compare with the s5Pro...you could however compare the d300 or d200 to it..

But honestly...go for the S5Pro if u have a chance..can hardly find 1st hand ones now....if you want another camera..can always get another nikon in the end since both uses same lens...but do not pass off the S5Pro.....

yeah i heard about the yummylicious skin tones. gosh. looks like ure really in love with the s5 pro. and yeah i heard its pretty hard to get ur hands on one now. hopefully im in luck and i can get one set soon. but im still looking around.just making sure that the dslr i buy is the one i really want. dont wanna regret after buying it. =) btw thanks alot for ur opinions! =)

S5 Pro is a Pro body DSLR and the D80 a semi pro. S5 Pro has better colors, higher dynamic range and better ISO performance.

Mine friend who use a D80 always experience battery problems.

I would recomended you D90 instead of D80

2 Different Cameras....

Have you try the Tamron 17-50? My experience tells me that the nikkor 17-55 is kinda overrated and over priced.

Have you try the Tamron 17-50? My experience tells me that the nikkor 17-55 is kinda overrated and over priced.

yup....i still prefer the nikkor one....hehehe...a whole new world in my opinion..

ooo thanks omega23 for the heads-up about the batt life of nikon d80. the tamron fits onto the s5 pro too?

ooo thanks omega23 for the heads-up about the batt life of nikon d80. the tamron fits onto the s5 pro too?

yes it does....i used to picture myself as a nikon user...

should I buy the tammy 17-50 first..or save abit more....and get the nikkor 17-55(2nd hand one of course)...

nothing beats using 1st party glass in my opinion...especially nikkor ones..

its either you wanna buy once..or buy twice...

again..i think its up to u.....

and this is coming from a canon user who respects nikkor glass.....hahahaha

anyone knows where i could get a s5 pro right now? i know its pretty low in availablilty right now. i wanna get a feel of the camera before buying it.

i owned both of these. i must say i preferthe s5pro 10X more then my D80. D80 has too much of hot spots and the metering is ehem.... get the s5pro. bang for buck!

I have both the d80 and S5pro. D80's battery life is amazing. I easily go above 1k shots on 1 charge. S5 Pro colors are amazing. I bring my d80 out when i want something light or faster fps shooting. Otherwise its mostly the s5pro

mmm okay. thanks for ur input guys! =)) s5pro seems really lovely. hopefully i can get my hands on one

anyone knows where i could get a s5 pro right now? i know its pretty low in availablilty right now. i wanna get a feel of the camera before buying it.

1st hand..the last i heard was some photo shop in Bukit Panjang..sellin with the Sigma 18-200....

hard to find them these days brand new...u can try BnS?

mmm okay. thanks for ur input guys! =)) s5pro seems really lovely. hopefully i can get my hands on one

I believe if you specially order, can get. Try Steven of Camera Hospital.

I bought the S5 Pro at $2300 in 2007 and felt it was worth it. Now it only costs about $1100. At that price, NOTHING comes close.

In terms of colour and dynamic range, it beats even high-end Nikons - so no sense to compare with D80. In terms of features and functions, it is comparable to D200 since it uses a D200 body. Again no sense to compare with D80.

Only weakness of S5 Pro is that it is not as fast as some of the high end Nikons and Canons. Still, it is definitely more than adequate for most purposes except maybe high speed sports and action shots.

I would second the S5Pro over the D80.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.