HELP! Newbie will travel to Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettywifey

Oct 7, 2004
Manila
hi! I just bough a SOny W1 and will be travelling to Singapore soon. I have a few questions and Really Hoping someone can help me.

1) where can i buy cheap accessories for my Sony W1? coz i heard those electronic shops along Orchard Road or Funan IT Mall is more expensive. Can someone confirm it? and pls give me some tips where to buy.

2) from what place can i take the best shot of merloin? Singapore city skyline? what time is better? morning or sunset? what other places or attractions can i take pictures?

3)I hope my W1 can take beautiful shots during the evening because when I go to Europe last November, all my pictures are dark and foggy like on the gondola ride in Venice and my Eiffel Tower is foggy too. it made me so depressed.

4) this maybe unrelated but where can i eat good hainan chicken and Chili crab and roti prata at good price that is not hard to go to for a tourist?

do you recommend the tiffin curry restaurant at Raffles Hotel?
Im so excited to visit Singapore!

hi! I just bough a SOny W1 and will be travelling to Singapore soon. I have a few questions and Really Hoping someone can help me.

1) where can i buy cheap accessories for my Sony W1? coz i heard those electronic shops along Orchard Road or Funan IT Mall is more expensive. Can someone confirm it? and pls give me some tips where to buy.

2) from what place can i take the best shot of merloin? Singapore city skyline? what time is better? morning or sunset? what other places or attractions can i take pictures?

3)I hope my W1 can take beautiful shots during the evening because when I go to Europe last November, all my pictures are dark and foggy like on the gondola ride in Venice and my Eiffel Tower is foggy too. it made me so depressed.

4) this maybe unrelated but where can i eat good hainan chicken and Chili crab and roti prata at good price that is not hard to go to for a tourist?

prettywifey, i know you are a newbie and understandably excited about coming to Singapore, but pls refrain from multiple postings of the same topic. I've merged your threads into one.

BTW, welcome to ClubSNAP, and Singapore!!!

The Moderator
ClubSNAP

I may not be able to advise you where u can get your SONY accessories but I am sure the rest of the 'CSers' here can.

However, I can advise where you can find the best Hainanese Boneless Chicken rice and roti prata in Singapore. When will you arrive ? where will you be putting up ? maybe some of the CSers can play 'host' :bsmilie:

Anyway, see ya soon and an advance welcome since u made Singapore your choice of destination !!! :D

prettywifey said:
................2) from what place can i take the best shot of merloin? Singapore city skyline? what time is better? morning or sunset? what other places or attractions can i take pictures?

oh I forgot, try our local DUCK and HIPPO tours. Not sure what these are... no worries, you will know when you are here :bsmilie:

prettywifey said:

1. Many enthusiasts here visit Cathay Photo at Peninsular Plaza. They're reliable and honest. Some others are Alan Photo and Sim Lim Square. There are other shops which are reliable as well but I think these two will serve you well and are centrally located.

2 and 3. Try the area near the fullerton hotel and One fullerton. Try to use a tripod for night shots to make sure they come out well. The nearby Esplanade is also a popular location. I recommend doing some research and it's relatively easy to find your way around with a good city map and the MRT (Subway)

4. Reasonably authentic Roti Prata is available in Bencoolen, as for Chilli Crabs it's debatable but I recommend that you stay away from tourist traps like Newton Circus and East Coast Seafood Centre. I've heard of tourists being charged thousands for a meal there.. Then again experiences may differ.

Reasonably authentic thai food can be had for cheap at First Thai (Open Air) at Purvis Street. You'll find that for the most authentic food, they're to be found in open air food centres and not air-conditioned restauraunts.

Check back again if you're unsure. You can always email me. Cheers!

prettywifey said:

1. Never used Sony W1, so no comment on this
2/3. I think the Espanade (Giant Durian) facing the river should be nice, try to take it at night time, with a tripod :). For other spots, that depends on your interest... so what scenery is of most interest to you?
4. Please see other people's reply :) .....

Tiffin curry restaurant, sorry to say, but high price and overly rated. I will go recommend to go the length of Curry restaurant opposite Sultan's Mosque anyday, moreover, Sultan's mosque is very near to Bugis Junction, good place to take photographs too :).

Larry, so sorry!

AhV, ill be there first week of november...

prettywifey said:
Larry, so sorry!

AhV, ill be there first week of november...

ok noted .... visit this thread often and keep us posted on your arrival and if u have any other queries, ask them early :) As per Larry's advice, avoid multiple posts :nono:

Visiting Singapore alone ? or with loved ones ? and where are you coming from ?

Hope u will have an enjoyable stay here in November..... Cheerio!

go to mscolor, i swear by their price and good service. www.mscolor.com, they have plenty of cameras, but i am not sure how much accessories to they caryy specifically for sony, get them to do equote for you and if you are really intrested ask them to indent in?

Definitely from One fullerton would be nice, the usual stuff would be Sentosa, Esplanade (the durian) Fullerton Hotel Boat Quay.

I think you should not worry too much about travel, taxi is extremely affordable in Singapore, go to bao Xi at Serangoon garden for chicken rice or Oasis next to kallang Indoor stadium for "No sign board Seafood" please make a booking for the seafood place, or you will have to wait for almost 1 hour...

GOOD LUCK!

AhV said:
ok noted .... visit this thread often and keep us posted on your arrival and if u have any other queries, ask them early :) As per Larry's advice, avoid multiple posts :nono:

Visiting Singapore alone ? or with loved ones ? and where are you coming from ?

Hope u will have an enjoyable stay here in November..... Cheerio!

AhV, I have a suggestion. Let's play host and bring Prettywify around for some good food and location to shoot nice pictures. What do you think?

Prettywify, let us know if you're interested. :D

Virgo said:
AhV, I have a suggestion. Let's play host and bring Prettywify around for some good food and location to shoot nice pictures. What do you think?

Prettywify, let us know if you're interested. :D

If u on, I on lah, bro .... :bsmilie: Bring her eat Roti Prata at Casuarina Road, Hainanese Chicken Rice at Maxwell Hawker Centre....CHOMP CHOMP for seafood ? :think:

Of cos, do what we love most.....bring her to popular spots to take nice pics of our skyline and tourists' attractions.

On! Yum Yum. Sounds exciting! We can even bring her to the nice camera shops here to get her stuff! MS Color, CP, TCW, etc.

Now it's up to Prettywify! :) Let us know if you're interested. PM us if necessary.

AhV
i will be visiting with my husband. (we got these tickets for FREE from Singapore Airlines when we went to London & Europe for our honeymoon last 2 years)
we're Chinese from the Philippines and we want to see the life in Singapore as my sister is planning to immigrate either to Perth or Singapore so we will check it out for her first.
where is this CHOMP CHOMP place? around how much is it for taxi to go there from orchard road. and if ill take mtr,what station will i have to alight?

Draguis
>>> Oasis next to kallang Indoor stadium for "No sign board Seafood" please make a booking for the seafood place, or you will have to wait for almost 1 hour...
can you clarify this? No sign board seafood is located in oasis next to kallang indoor stadium right? where's this oasis...what mtr station? is it located near east coast? does this restaurant have menu coz i heard about a seafood place with no menu and they can sometimes charge high.

thank you so much for all your offer to bring us around but are you sure? aren't you singaporeans very busy with work?

prettywifey said:
thank you so much for all your offer to bring us around but are you sure? aren't you singaporeans very busy with work?

Wat du you mean busy with work?

We believe in minimum input with maximum returns.

A few lucky ones here work only in their lunch break and going out taking photos for the rest of the office hours.

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.