Help! Newbie here. (Digital King)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seng04

Aug 31, 2008
Hi, im a newbie and just got a canon 500D with the 18-55 lens. Is it recommendable to get a 2.5x extender and what's the average price for one?

Also looking at the 0.45x wideangle(fisheye?) + macro Lens converter, any to recommend?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

personally, I feel the "extender" u want to get will not give u the true macro that u will eventually stick with. It is one of the known cheaper methods to achieve macro, but "true" macro lens are here for a reason. If u r able to hold on to your passion for photography long enough, u will regret getting 1 in no time and hope for a true marco lens. That was what happened to my gf :) only 1 month before she bought a 105mm macro (nikon). since u can afford a 500d, save for a EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM, very good lens should be about 850 at this time..

Hi bro. Thanks for the info. Hmm Im actually more interested in wide angle, is it also considered fisheye?

Hi bro. Thanks for the info. Hmm Im actually more interested in wide angle, is it also considered fisheye?

Wide angle not = fish eye.

canon has 12-24mm if im not wrong
other brands of wide angle includes
sigma 10-20
tokina 11-16
tokina 12-24
tamron 12-24? (not sure the range)

wide angle converter results in lower IQ.

btw how wide do u need.

18mm is also wide.

fisheye totally distorts urs image - search for fisheye in flickr...im sure u find many.

Hi, im a newbie and just got a canon 500D with the 18-55 lens. Is it recommendable to get a 2.5x extender and what's the average price for one?

Also looking at the 0.45x wideangle(fisheye?) + macro Lens converter, any to recommend?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Dun bother with such converters...

Get a proper lens for your intended purpose instead. :)

canon has 12-24mm if im not wrong
other brands of wide angle includes
sigma 10-20
tokina 11-16
tokina 12-24
tamron 12-24? (not sure the range)

wide angle converter results in lower IQ.

btw how wide do u need.

18mm is also wide.

fisheye totally distorts urs image - search for fisheye in flickr...im sure u find many.

Nope Canon does not have 12-24.

Only Sigma has 12-24 which is compatible for FF cam

I have a question... Why does your title state (Digital King)???

Hi, welcome to CS !

Dun bother with such converters...

Get a proper lens for your intended purpose instead. :)

Totally agree.
Due to DSLR lens sizes they will likely vignette at the widest angles. Edge sharpness will also be poor and you will need to be stop down the aperture by a lot to get some sharpness.
IMO, they are more suited for compacts and super-compacts which have smaller lenses which will mean that the use only the sharper center area of the WA adapter.

Hint : Just see who ever posted nice pics with WA converter + DSLR lens.
There are quite a few rather good images using compact cam + WA adapter though.

I believe Digital King is the brand of the extender or convertor. They are a much cheaper alternative and the price tag is normally proportional to the quality of output. So having said that, I do agree that you should consider proper lens to achive your goal.

Oh okay! Thank you guys very much for all the info!

Yup, Digital King is the brand of one of the converters =)

Thanks!

Please stay away from Digital King I beg of thee, supreme waste of money... distortion, savage vignette, macro doesn't even look good etc etc...
If you die die want to buy, you can get it from John 3:16 at $65 or at least thats what I heard Samuel say... I bought it at a "reputable" ground floor shop at sim lim a year and a half ago for $350.

If you want to do macro, save up $500 more for a canon EF 100m macro, it'll last you longer, you'll get better sharpness MFD and such, and most importantly, not waste $350 on rubbish.

Alright! Thank you all the bros here tt contributed for my query!

Cheers to all! Happy shooting :D

if u really wanto to get a Digital King.. the cost price of it is just around $30-45.. i know digital king states it's lens as high quality, but the image you get is just weak. these convertors are much more meant for APS prosumers and other smaller versions with extending-enabled. For DSLR, is better than u get the suitable ones, dun waste your money on those small things..

Cool! Alright, Thanks for the advice bro! =D

they will likely vignette at the widest angles. Edge sharpness will also be poor and you will need to be stop down the aperture by a lot to get some sharpness.
Do note the horrendous CA/colour fringing issues too.

Status
Not open for further replies.