help needed with lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

h317ry

Aug 11, 2008
Bukit Merah
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi To All Snapper

Hi i am henry am new to this forum.
so really looking forward to learn more stuff from all u guys out there.
would not say that i am new to photography and also would not say that am a old bird.
but watever the case is that i have develop a liking in shooting since young.
Current my shooting equipment is a Nikon D80 WIth a SB800 only.
so loking forward to join all u guys out there shootin one days cheerz.

Yeah btw as attach below is some pics that i have posted on flickr.do take a look at them and feel free to give any kind of feedback and comment.
Cause it is thr feedback and comment that one improve.cheerz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29442281@N06/

oh yeah btw am thinking of getting one more len
currently am using the 18-135 mm that come with my d80.
wat kind of lens would u guys recommend.
well i do lots of portrait shoot and i love shoot landscape.
so do give me so recomendation as i really do not know where to start from with regards to lens.
thank lots in advance.

Last edited:
hello and welcome to Clubsnap! ;)

flipped through some of your photos in flickr. The shots you took at the zoo are quite good. bright, contrasty. But in yr V day shoot (DSC_0087) you made a pretty bad mistake :sweat: The model wasn't focused! Instead you focused on the chairs in the back. Something you should tae note of in the future Another thing i didn't like about that photo was the brightly coloured chairs to the left. They're rather glaring and draw the attention of the viewer to them, rather than the model. Your composition on shot DSC_0083 was kinda nice though, but the model could have did a more interesting pose:think:

Just my 2 cents :)

As for your desire for a new lens...pretty hard to get one that will fit both your wants, cos wide angles is usually used for landscape, while telephoto's are used for portrait shots. Can't really help you on what lens to buy for lanscape photog... but i do know some great portrait lens.
1)85mm f1.4 or the f1.8 one if your on budget
2)50mm f.8 (a really cheap lens with good bokeh:thumbsup:)
2) or the Nikkor 105mm f/2.0D AF DC- an excellent lens for portraiture but rather ex =P

hello and welcome to Clubsnap! ;)

flipped through some of your photos in flickr. The shots you took at the zoo are quite good. bright, contrasty. But in yr V day shoot (DSC_0087) you made a pretty bad mistake :sweat: The model wasn't focused! Instead you focused on the chairs in the back. Something you should tae note of in the future Another thing i didn't like about that photo was the brightly coloured chairs to the left. They're rather glaring and draw the attention of the viewer to them, rather than the model. Your composition on shot DSC_0083 was kinda nice though, but the model could have did a more interesting pose:think:

Just my 2 cents :)

As for your desire for a new lens...pretty hard to get one that will fit both your wants, cos wide angles is usually used for landscape, while telephoto's are used for portrait shots. Can't really help you on what lens to buy for lanscape photog... but i do know some great portrait lens.
1)85mm f1.4 or the f1.8 one if your on budget
2)50mm f.8 (a really cheap lens with good bokeh:thumbsup:)
2) or the Nikkor 105mm f/2.0D AF DC- an excellent lens for portraiture but rather ex =P

first of all thanks for ur comment and feed back.
really appreciated it lots .
secondly would u be kind enough to let mi know the rough price of the lens that u have quoted above?
thanks lots owe u a coffee...hehe

Hi and welcome!

The lenses usually used for portraits are those with large apertures to give good bokeh. Check out the Portraits and Poses section here. Most of time, people go with 85mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 etc. The larger the aperture, the more expensive the lens will be.
Good thing is 50mm f1.8, though not a superb lens, but it's cheap, probably $150 for a new one. Image quality from it is still good.

For landscapes, wide angle lenses are preferred. If you don't mind, 50mm can also be used for landscapes, although most will say it's not wide at all.
Check out Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6, tamron 17-50 f2.8, Nikkor 35 f2 (not sure if still available), Nikkor 14-24 f/4 or even 10.5mm DX fisheye.

In essence, you most probably need 2 good lenses to cover these 2 fields.

secondly would u be kind enough to let mi know the rough price of the lens that u have quoted above?

Always glad to help someone spend their money :bsmilie:

Here's the thread with Nikon equipment price list. Use it as a guide - no one enjoys posting or reading one of the "I've been conned" threads :)

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292045

Enjoy!

after looking thr think should be getting the 50 1.8 or 85 1.8 de bah.
than start saving hard to for my 70-300 vr or 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens bah...haha

think this should be the 2 lens that am getting for the time being bah.

than if after that still have enought than start to save for my wide angle de bah
prob be a 17-35 f2.8 bah.

hahaha.

Last edited:
after looking thr think should be getting the 50 1.8 or 85 1.8 de bah.
than start saving hard to for my 70-300 vr or 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens bah...haha

think this should be the 2 lens that am getting for the time being bah.

than if after that still have enought than start to save for my wide angle de bah
prob be a 17-35 f2.8 bah.

hahaha.

fwah. the 70-200 f2.8 is an EXCELLENT lens for a DX body (which your D80 is). BUT its also an EXTREMELY expensive lens, so make sure you'll use it before you get it :) or go for the cheaper alternative, get a 80-200 f2.8. slightly older, but about $1k cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.