[Help Needed]Upgrading my camera

Kent Yeo Leck Hwee

Feb 9, 2012
Singapore
Hi all the expert here,

All along my GF and I have been using Canon PowerShot SD1100 for like 5 year.

Wanted to upgrade to a better camera for our next trip. DSLR look complicated to us.

Happen to saw a good deal for Canon EOS M kit III. Is it worth to buy?

Thank you in advance for the reply

If the DSLR is too intimidating, you can probably consider advance prosumer P&S like Powershot S110, Panasonic LX5, Sony RX100.

That said, EOS-M's larger sensor (than those listed above) will also mean abit better image quality as compared to the P&S.

Also, M is quite abit bigger in size than your SD1100, because of the protruding lens part.. If size is a concern, I think those advance P&S would make a better choice. If not, yes, EOS-M is a good camera (just like any other <<insert brand>> DSLR).

The answer to whether it's a good buy or not depends on how much value is of the camera to you..And factors to it will be IQ vs Ergonomics vs Cost vs Size etc..

The Panasonic gf series and Sony NEX 3 series are also advanced models with simple interfaces that is not intimidating. Do consider them. Not only canon makes cameras.

Wow, thank you for all the reply. Will read up on what edutilos suggested.

To edutilos,
Will read up on the link provided =)

To SkyStrike
Size doesn't matter. My Budget around 700$..

To Silvermoon1407
Thank you for the suggestion. Will look up on the 2 model.

More input are welcome!

Last edited:
EOS M are very good. Just make sure that you have the latest firmware. The only issues now was that there wasn't much native lenses to choose from, although with an adapter, you can use the EF and EF-S lenses, however, the problem with this was AF sucks.

Another option you could look at is the Sony NEX series, or Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 mirrorless interchangeable lenses cameras. They are easy to use, excellent IQ and pretty small. I personally owned the OM-D, EPL1 (my mum's) and EPM1 (EPM1 is very small by the way), and all of them are excellent (not sure if you can get the EPM1 now though, the last time when I bought it, it cost be around S$3xx with kit lens).

i've used the EOS-M, E-PL series, Nikon 1 series and NEX.

i still think the best options to go for are the Olympus and Sony mirrorless cameras. the EOS-M and Nikon-1 are just horrible in terms of ergonomics and user interface.

I highly recommend the Sony NEX series. I am using the NEX 5N and the results I get from this camera is awesome.

You get DSLR quailty photos and yet it is still small & light and easy to use

Actually, come to think of it, what do you define by better?

1) Would you like more control on your shots?
2) What will you shoot with your camera?
3) What do you find lacking in your SD1100?
4) Saw that size is not an issue for you. Are there any things that you MUST have (e.g. must have LCD like SD1100)?

As you can see, different people have different opinions. I think almost everyone on this thread has given different answers so far.

Maybe what we could help you do is to narrow it down to a few choices, provide you with some pointers to note, and then you can go down to the shops to test out the cameras and see which you prefer in terms of form, operation, etc. :)

Last edited:
Ty silvermoon, rino123, kei1309 & photoart who have contribute to my thread again. Will check out the model your mention =)

Ty edutilos for the Q&A, below is my answer

1) Would you like more control on your shots?
Yup. But i find that DSLR control like very complicated.. :bsmilie:

2) What will you shoot with your camera?
Usually for trip. Gf complaining that her iPhone can take better shot compare to the current camera we are having.
I will also like to take close up shoot eg: for my toy collection.

3) What do you find lacking in your SD1100?
Zoom shot image become blur.. Close up shot image also blur.. Sometime too bright or too dark when taking shot.

4) Saw that size is not an issue for you. Are there any things that you MUST have (e.g. must have LCD like SD1100)?
Actually size not too heavy since my GF will be using it more often than me. One thing that bother me is that EOS M's LCD panel is not movable. Cannot &#33258;&#24085; :bsmilie:

Actually can shoot clear picture we very happy already as we both have very little knowledge on camera. Our SD 1100 is about 4-5 year old..

Last edited:
Looks like you are just looking for a replacement P&S-sized camera with better IQ and better low light capabilities. Also with tilting LCD if possible.

Since you're used to having a small form factor and a zoom lens, here's some suggestions. I omitted DSLRs altogether.

1) Get a top end P&S like the Fujifilm X20, Canon S110/S120 or Sony RX100 II. The IQ of both won't match up to DSLR levels but should be better than your SD1100 for sure. The Sony RX100 II will likely show a marked improvement. And these have the option of just sticking to Auto modes. But you're locked in, i.e. once you take this option you are stuck with the whole package.

2) Get a M4/3 camera. IQ is just a stop short of DSLR levels, but the size is small and you have the option of expanding by buying other lenses later on. You can get this with a kit lens. If you find that the images are still too blurry you have the option of buying faster lenses ($$$). Some models include Olympus EPM-1, Olympus EPL-6 or Panasonic GF6. This is slightly larger than P&S cameras, and definitely less pocketable.

3) Get other mirrorless cameras, like the Canon EOS-M, Samsung NX series and Sony NEX-3N, with the kit lens again. Same issues as #2 but IQ should be even better because of sensor size. I would still recommend M4/3 over these, even though the low light performance will be better, because of the extensive amount of lenses available. The M4/3 segment at present still has greater potential than any other mirrorless cameras.

If you want a tilting LCD you can look for one with that option. I'm sure some of these will have it.

Most importantly, to get the best results out of these cameras which all have the option of going to manual control - it is best that you understand photography a bit better. You could take some time to read up on basic photography here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544 (that's a thread by a fellow member sulhan here, which is pretty good) Understanding of the basics will go a long long long way to resolving your issues such as blur images, exposure (too bright/dark), etc.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Again, I highly recommend the Sony NEX 3N (the current one).

Why?

It's relatively cheap for an APSC interchangeable system. The kit option with the power zoom lens is more than adequate and still keep form factor small, even smaller than most m43 systems that employs a smaller sensor.

It has 180 degree flip screen for selfie.

It allows u to have the flexibility of using other lenses should u one day decide to take photography more seriously.

It comes in pink.

The only drawback I can think of is the lack of close-up or macro mode. The kit lens' closest focusing distance ain't too bad, but it definitely can't beat the 1cm of most compact cameras nowadays. But u can always pick up the SEL30M35 macro lens for not just macro, but also for street or casual walkabout lens. It's inexpensive at around 200-300+

Thank you edutilos for the detail ans again.

Thank you silvermoon1407 for the recommendation - *google-ing the model now :bsmilie:

Thank you edutilos for the detail ans again.

Thank you silvermoon1407 for the recommendation - *google-ing the model now :bsmilie:

Actually you should really play with Samsung NX1000... going off pretty cheaply now. I have a brief encounter with one, my friend let me play with her hubby's for half a day when I am in the office and used it to take some photos of my company's products. The result is incredible... really sharp and detail. And it took me less than a minute to be familiarize with the camera and without reading any manual at all... that is how easy it is.

So in summary, I think you could look at the following models,

1) Canon EOS-M
2) Olympus EPM2
3) Panasonic GF6
4) Sony NEX F3
5) Samsung NX1000

And for DSLR handling, you could also check out the smallest DSLR presently - Canon 100D (which is an excellent camera, small, light and easy to use).

Actually you should really play with Samsung NX1000... going off pretty cheaply now. I have a brief encounter with one, my friend let me play with her hubby's for half a day when I am in the office and used it to take some photos of my company's products. The result is incredible... really sharp and detail. And it took me less than a minute to be familiarize with the camera and without reading any manual at all... that is how easy it is.
).

Schneider lenses ;)