Help needed to solve iBook displaying jagged web photos please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoe

Jan 8, 2003
Dear ALL,
i have an iBook on OS 10.4.8 and recently it kept displaying jagged/pixelated web images/photos when i browse with Safari.

i searched and read that i should reset Safari and also to choose Passive FTP Mode in Network/Proxies. It worked for a few tries and now it does help at all.

Help appreciated.

Dear ALL,
i have an iBook on OS 10.4.8 and recently it kept displaying jagged/pixelated web images/photos when i browse with Safari.

i searched and read that i should reset Safari and also to choose Passive FTP Mode in Network/Proxies. It worked for a few tries and now it does help at all.

Help appreciated.

err... have u tried displaying the pictures in full size?

Hi,
it can't display even a 600x400 web image properly. My CS Gallery uploaded images in my B&S thread is pixelated with large squares.

Another eg, the CS logo on top left corner, it's not even displaying smooth straight lines defining the alphbets. :dunno:

Have you tried downloading another browser, such as Firefox to try and see if it's Safari?

Hi,
it can't display even a 600x400 web image properly. My CS Gallery uploaded images in my B&S thread is pixelated with large squares.

Another eg, the CS logo on top left corner, it's not even displaying smooth straight lines defining the alphbets. :dunno:

did you try re-select the display resolution setting (ie 1024x768)? Looks like its hardware related. Could it be an accidental setting change or probably a virus at work? I'd been using mac and did not come across such a problem.

I suggest you save all impt files right away. When you have time, do a re-install with the original recovery disc. That should erradicate most software related issues and the drivers reloaded should make the hardware work like it did when you just got the ibook. Then do a massive softwares updates by going online.

Dear ALL,
thanks very much for all the suggestion.

Just to give an update, for a day or 2 i'm still seeing pixelated image in CS and DPRevxxw but was ok when i browse PBaxe. :dunno: Very strange. But as of this writting, everything is haywired again.

i'll definitely format the HDD to refresh it (hopefully :sweat:) i've been facing slow-downs when converting RAW file with DPP, though i have 1.5GB RAM to boot. Actually i've encounter occasional strange response in my daily use of my 2-year-old iBook. Maxing out the 40G HDD is very common now and i have to constantly back my family photos and .AVI files to DVD so as to free up some disk space (which is not a bad thing becos i'm forced not to be complacent in backups :bsmilie:)

i intend to do this:

Buy a new 250GB HDD(2.5") and a casing.
Hook it up via USB.
Format it and install OSX which was what i'm having now.
Shut everything down.
Replace old iBook HDD(40GB) with the new HDD.
Startup.
Access old HDD in casing via USB and retreive misc files (all important files are already on DVDs).
Do a mass software update.

Please correct me if i'm potentially wracking things up.

By the way, i thought Mac is not so commonly attacked by virus? Or has the scene changed? And is it possible for for me to drop a 2GB RAM into this 12" iBook G4?

All I can say is good luck in doing this. It does not sound like a HDD fault. It is either a corrupt video driver or OSX. You just need to format and reload the stuff back to same HDD. If its a video card hardware fault, good luck again as the repair will not come cheap from apple as they require you to change the whole motherboard (about $1k with labor +gst).

suggest u just save the files and do a simple reformat + reload first. But this is your ibook, and i strongly feel it's your choice what u wanna do to it.

cheers! :bsmilie:

Dear ALL,

Help appreciated.

are u using m1 broadband ? i called them last weekend... they said it is due to their system upgrade.

contaxable said:
All I can say is good luck in doing this. It does not sound like a HDD fault. It is either a corrupt video driver or OSX. You just need to format and reload the stuff back to same HDD. If its a video card hardware fault, good luck again as the repair will not come cheap from apple as they require you to change the whole motherboard (about $1k with labor +gst).

suggest u just save the files and do a simple reformat + reload first. But this is your ibook, and i strongly feel it's your choice what u wanna do to it.

cheers!

To reformat, does it mean that i thrash everything into the bin, empty it, and insert OSX disk to install?? If that's so simple, i'd rather do that becos i'm not too keen to take iBook apart (due to time and uncertainties). i prefer a HDD that's removable as it is portable between laptop and desktop.

are u using m1 broadband ? i called them last weekend... they said it is due to their system upgrade.

Wah. i think you might have just hit the right spot!!! i am using the Vodaxxxx thing. Ok maybe i'll wait for a few more days to see if it will normalise. Plus i'll do the reinstallation thing.

To reformat, does it mean that i thrash everything into the bin, empty it, and insert OSX disk to install?? If that's so simple, i'd rather do that becos i'm not too keen to take iBook apart (due to time and uncertainties). i prefer a HDD that's removable as it is portable between laptop and desktop.

Wah. i think you might have just hit the right spot!!! i am using the Vodaxxxx thing. Ok maybe i'll wait for a few more days to see if it will normalise. Plus i'll do the reinstallation thing.

well, i do some tests with different mobile broadband networks with my colleagues, and i found out that m1 broadband was the problem.

Emmm... since M1 could be the problem, maybe you bin the utility for M1 for related applications and see if other applications (ie your image editing softwares) are affected.

Suggest TS give M1 a call to troubleshoot. If they are honest about some software bugs causing your programmes, they will guide you along.

As for reloading software, you should do this if you are certain it is a corrupt software (ie Mac OSX). Just plonk in the DVD that came with your ibook and follow all the prom. You do not need to delete anything or bin anything before the reinstall. It will prom you for it.

As for external HDD + casing, this is something I do not recommend as you do not seem too techie for it. Remember, the new HDD that you want to buy from SLS has zero mac related software in it. OSX will not just work when you boot from an external drive by plugging in. Its like, "hello," its empty inside your new HDD.

Also, I hope I am not giving you the wrong advises as you seem kinda lost. Well, ok, call M1 to help you. If no go, go to any apple care centre for help and pay the fee. Dont try anything more with DIY repairs if you really are not quite sure how to get things fixed.

There are also tricks to flash your bios, but I dont think i wanna confuse you more. If your mac kah...boom... i can only pay you eighty cents for kopi-o. :bsmilie:

All the best, sir!

Thank for all the suggestions. i'll follow the DVD route then. Better to have a slow but usable iBook then a dead one.

no worries. Reloading and formatting whole hdd should be the best alternative to bring everything back to original state (almost as if brand new when you just bought it). If it is still troubling you, it indicates a hardware failure on a certain component of your motherboard. Note: Apple does not replace parts on motherboard for notebooks usually as they will make you buy a brand new one for about $1k. To melt soldering point and then resolder a new part on motherboard is not all that difficult (ie replace video card or chipsets), yet they still would not do it. This is how they make money and we cant force them to be different.

U can spend about $150 at apple for evaluation, but i feel you should not spend too much money as it is not worth it to fix a mac usually esp for notebooks. That is my experience owning a few macs and i learn to diy fix them and/or live with some of the hardware problems. Nothing's perfect in this world anyway.

I think I have the same problem too. And I commented on a friend's flickr and say his picture is pixelated! hahahaha.

Anyways, now the problem is the Vodafone thingy.....its getting VERY VERY slow nowadays...

Looks like my "Broad"band provider is giving the intermitten hiccups. And i also experience extreme slowdowns from 6pm or 7pm till midnight if i'm still up. With the S$38+ plan somemore. But ok lah, no long-term contract to tie me down so i'm already free to go. :sweat:

i've just reinstalled OSX and did a massive software update this morning. Just when i thought i'm starting the iBook afresh, i just found out that AppleWorks is gone from Application folder. :angry:

Looks like my "Broad"band provider is giving the intermitten hiccups. And i also experience extreme slowdowns from 6pm or 7pm till midnight if i'm still up. With the S$38+ plan somemore. But ok lah, no long-term contract to tie me down so i'm already free to go. :sweat:

i've just reinstalled OSX and did a massive software update this morning. Just when i thought i'm starting the iBook afresh, i just found out that AppleWorks is gone from Application folder. :angry:

it is worse than 56k dial up modem connection.

i am waiting for pc show in june (current contract ends in july) and then switch to starhub maxonline plus mobile broadband package.

its probably a setting in your vodaxxx wireless 3G broadband. images are automatically reduced in quality so that file sizes downloaded via the 3G card is reduced. I experienced this when i was using my company's 3G card and i had no idea how to make it go away too

its probably a setting in your vodaxxx wireless 3G broadband. images are automatically reduced in quality so that file sizes downloaded via the 3G card is reduced. I experienced this when i was using my company's 3G card and i had no idea how to make it go away too

nothing was set since day one of subscription, if it is needed then why my service provider did not inform its subscribers... ? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.