Help needed to retrieve data from laptop HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0nysus

Jul 15, 2003
m
Visit site
Dear CS'ers,

My cousin committed suicide few yrs back due to depression. He was ~24yo. I do not know him well personally. Exact reasons for the suicide are not exactly clear. My uncle passed my cousin's laptop to my dad on monday and asked if I wanted any of it. The laptop is in real badshap, power button forced off, cover of the laptop almost wedged away, and the opening latch of the laptop superglued shut, etc. I managed to pry out the HDD, it has a 'clicking' sound which I suspect a spoilt servo? Anyone with advice to get any data out which might have some answers to the family tragedy.

Thanks

di0nysus said:
Dear CS'ers,

My cousin committed suicide few yrs back due to depression. He was ~24yo. I do not know him well personally. Exact reasons for the suicide are not exactly clear. My uncle passed my cousin's laptop to my dad on monday and asked if I wanted any of it. The laptop is in real badshap, power button forced off, cover of the laptop almost wedged away, and the opening latch of the laptop superglued shut, etc. I managed to pry out the HDD, it has a 'clicking' sound which I suspect a spoilt servo? Anyone with advice to get any data out which might have some answers to the family tragedy.

Thanks

If you are willing to face the outcome. Should get a expert to do it.

di0nysus said:
Dear CS'ers,

Thanks

u can try to find any of ur fd or anyone who is inde line of doin IT work..someone expert i mean..think, they can do it..maybe jus pay them abit of $$..

Cheers!

Mechanical fault? Might be a little tuff. If u can trust DCA, u can let him work on it.

Alternatively, call in the Professionals.

hwchoy said:
any idea how much (ball park will do) they charge to recover a mechanically failed disk? don't need their service now but always good to know your options. :sweat:
I've no idea, but it's not cheap I heard, however, if the data is precious and it might aid in resolving unknown facts, I would say it's worth it.

It will be a great idea if you check with his families if they want to know the truth and bear the outcome for the rest of the life or it may also be nothing important if they put too much hope on it.

Thanks guys for all the advice ( I knew I can count on CS'ers for answers, HWZ etc wlil be like a mad house), will discuss it with the parties involved and look at the options. DCA, thanks for ya offer and I shall keep you in mind.

It depends where u ask... :bsmilie: EDMW is never a good place for asking questions even though its a tok-cock place like Kopitiam. :bsmilie:

One thing good though, ur answers come back really quick... We're looking at 5mins turnover time. My record was 3mins.

jsbn said:
It depends where u ask... :bsmilie: EDMW is never a good place for asking questions even though its a tok-cock place like Kopitiam. :bsmilie:

One thing good though, ur answers come back really quick... We're looking at 5mins turnover time. My record was 3mins.

ya man... every time they post something about news, sure ask source, something about girls, den NPNT... thats super fast response imho...

anyway, u also another c*ckster there lor...

jsbn said:
Mechanical fault? Might be a little tuff. If u can trust DCA, u can let him work on it.

Alternatively, call in the Professionals.

OK I mean a faulty disk, may or may not be mechanical. But what I was trying to find out is the ballpark charges regarding CBL for this kind of fault, I mean is it $100, $500 or $1000?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
ya man... every time they post something about news, sure ask source, something about girls, den NPNT... thats super fast response imho...

anyway, u also another c*ckster there lor...
Where would u like me to destress by letting out my crazy thoughts?

For goodness sake, EDMW is a pure tok-cock house for destress. Where else can u have a free reign, rant all ur displeasure out, say all the crazy things to maintain ur sanity? Try it here and u'll be banned the next time Darren comes in. :bsmilie:

But I'd met some of those guyz... Well, quite nice chaps. :D

jsbn said:
Where would u like me to destress by letting out my crazy thoughts?

For goodness sake, EDMW is a pure tok-cock house for destress. Where else can u have a free reign, rant all ur displeasure out, say all the crazy things to maintain ur sanity? Try it here and u'll be banned the next time Darren comes in. :bsmilie:

But I'd met some of those guyz... Well, quite nice chaps. :D
NPNT!!!

U wantch peektures? Lotsa it in EDMW. Juz search for 'chio bu' and GPGT u'll get lotsa hits. :bsmilie:

If u're lucky, u'll come across 1 or 2 leeched pics.

hwchoy said:
OK I mean a faulty disk, may or may not be mechanical. But what I was trying to find out is the ballpark charges regarding CBL for this kind of fault, I mean is it $100, $500 or $1000?
Ballpark figure? It is between S$1000 to S$3000.

Dear All,

I do appreciate the fact that everyone is very constructively assisting di0nysus in getting his laptop working. However, it would be very much appreciated if we don't let the thread get too OT please.

Thank you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.