Help Needed..Set to Shoot RAW But came out JPEG Instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerald Lam CK

Jul 2, 2009
Admiralty
glamphotography-ck.blogspot.com
Hi anyone experienced this before? I set my 450D to RAW shooting but in the end when i wanna editt them, i realised all came out jpeg instead! Why is that so? Isit the memo card? This is the first time i experience this though.

Hi anyone experienced this before? I set my 450D to RAW shooting but in the end when i wanna editt them, i realised all came out jpeg instead! Why is that so? Isit the memo card? This is the first time i experience this though.

Hi Gerald,
I am using 450D as well and didn't encounter the problem you mentioned above.
Is the display showing RAW or RAW+Jpeg?
If it is RAW+Jpeg, you will have both formats for each photo inside your SD card.
Then when you load it to Photoshop, it will only show Jpeg files as you will need an converter to import RAW files into your photo-editing software.

You can try to take a photo now by setting it to RAW and immediately view them on your PC.
If it is not RAW format then perhaps you can upgrade/reinstall to the latest firmware.
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eosdigital4/firmware.html
Hope you can solve your problem soon. :)
Cheers.

Memory card doesn't have any brain in it to do the processing

Check your cam setting again (menu function), make sure you did not accidentally change it

If it is true then you got to make a big fuss to CSC :bsmilie:

check ur setting again...maybe u set to shoot jpeg and raw as well...meaning 2 copy for every shoot and when u edit u happen to edit the jpeg instead of raw copy...?

did you import them as jpeg.

How do you edit them? Which program are you using? Please bear in mind that all RAW files will contain a low resolution jpg file as preview. Some picture viewer (and maybe some other editors incapable of reading RAW files) might pick up this embedded jpg. But it should be very obvious from the image size and quality. Check with the image property display of your editor.

Thx guys for your replies. I set to RAW only..not RAW + Jpeg. I know if i choose raw + jpeg it will produce both formats. I double checked and it's RAw only.

Strange thing is that last night i used the same card to shoot moon shots and they turned out to be RAW. It's only this afternoon when i shot some photos and suddenly they turned out jpeg instead.

I think you blur blur selected the 'RAW' option, but did not press 'set' on the camera to set it to RAW, so it went back to JPG and did not select RAW.

most probably select but did not press set button?

By any chance you shot your JPEG photos in auto modes (i.e. full-auto, portait, etc)?

IIRC, RAW is only available in modes above full-auto.

By any chance you shot your JPEG photos in auto modes (i.e. full-auto, portait, etc)?

IIRC, RAW is only available in modes above full-auto.

Oh..the afternoon photos i chose portrait mode while the moon shots i used M mode. Was that the reason? U mean only when select M mode then will turns out RAW?

IT's the transfer. If you transfer pictures from your cam (RAW) to computer that doesn't have dpp on it, the camera will convert the picture to JPG before sending it to the computer. Should still be RAW in your CF.

Portrait mode? If it is auto setting, then it's JPG. If you're referring to P, then you can choose RAW.

I have been using Canon DSLR for 4yrs. Although I seldom ever used the auto modes, I have always thought that the picture format and the shooting modes are independent settings.. Guess I am learning new things everyday!

cos portrait is auto mode, hence no raw. :)

I see..i learnt sth new again. Thx!

I have been using Canon DSLR for 4yrs. Although I seldom ever used the auto modes, I have always thought that the picture format and the shooting modes are independent settings.. Guess I am learning new things everyday!

That's the power of forum. :)

Oh..the afternoon photos i chose portrait mode while the moon shots i used M mode. Was that the reason? U mean only when select M mode then will turns out RAW?

Confirmed. Jpeg Only when dial is set at Fully Auto and below (Landscape, Portrait, etc). Raw setting takes place only when dial is set at Advance modes like P, Av, Tv, etc.

Read your manual. Hee hee, I also got to know now.

Last few page of the manual. Raw is not avail in basic mode.

Thats right, only the "creative zones" gives you the option of RAW. Any other modes will override your RAW settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.