Help needed regarding power receptacles and plug in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
Like to ask fellow forumers who have been in India. In this instance, I'm leaving in another 2 weeks, with New Delhi, Agra, Allahabad and Varanasi on the group's itinerary.

I have noted from wikipedia, kropla world electric guide from nut's website, and other internet resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

India uses Type D WA-10, aka old British 3 round pin (5mm pair + 7mm earth, 5A, 250V). And i have got a Taiwanese wonpro adaptor for that (pins for WA-10 and receptacles/socket for universal). but it seem that Type C, E, F is also available.

I've also got a universal adaptor, that has 3 basic types of connections - flat pin (US-Taiwan-Japan), rectangular pin (UK-SG), small 4.0mm round pin (euro), and the flat pins can also be tilted to fit additional types of receptacles/sockets.

but i realised that all universal adaptors sold in market seem to have only the above pins, but does not have the thicker French-German 4.8mm round pins, likewise none have the 5.0mm round pins for India. Does that mean that the universal adaptor is not that universal? or that 4mm round pins can be used for receptables/sockets that is much larger, and if that is the case, would it be very loose?

or to cut the story short for those who went india and didn't bother so much about the technical details, what sockets did you see in the north, and does your euro-pin works? what plugs did you use?

p.s. i have universal adaptor from daiyo, but find it hangs loose on the wall, when additional plugs is mounted on it, wonder if anyone have come across the same problem and have any solutions for that.

3 headed round pins.

worked for me in india, new delhi, and agra.

i brought 4 there. lol...

no issues.... ;)

theres another type which is the 2 headed ones. it can be used in the toilets. but u gotta check.

3 headed round pins are common to use there. ;)

3 headed round pins.

worked for me in india, new delhi, and agra.

i brought 4 there. lol...

no issues.... ;)

theres another type which is the 2 headed ones. it can be used in the toilets. but u gotta check.

3 headed round pins are common to use there. ;)

thanks. i think that is the old british 3 round pin and the smaller euro-2-pin.

by the way, do they tend to put their socket high up or it is always low?
i'm thinking of cutting my extension cord shorter to reduce weight.

If I remember correctly, I plug 2 pins (Type C?) into the 3pin receptacle ;p
If loose, I try to find whatever nearby like chair to prop against it to help "support" it...

I just popped by Mustafa to get the adaptors. They are all placed in huge labelled boxes, and very cheap. Worked perfectly in Rajasthan, Dehli and Agra.

If I remember correctly, I plug 2 pins (Type C?) into the 3pin receptacle ;p
If loose, I try to find whatever nearby like chair to prop against it to help "support" it...

i see. since it is loose, then it must have been type c euro-plug 4.0mm into the type d old british socket.

in that case, i won't use my universal plug with the type c pins. too heavy and loose.

I just popped by Mustafa to get the adaptors. They are all placed in huge labelled boxes, and very cheap. Worked perfectly in Rajasthan, Dehli and Agra.

yah rite. how come i didn't think of that. mustafa ppl sure know it the best....

yeah.... of course ! hhaha.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.