Help needed regarding photographer's right, upset photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jieywong

Aug 25, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I really need some help/advice regarding the topic i posted.

The situation is like this:

Person Z use my photo that i took of him/her using his sister's camera. He/she is using it for his/her university(Local SG uni) under his/her school for his/her election of being an event coordinator. Him/her created a facebook group (public group setting) and posted the photo as well as using it as cover photo. The content of the photo is him/her with a very nice background of one of singapore's iconic building that drafted our skyline. There is edit of the photo with words to vote for him/her and where when the voting will be held. Him/her use my photo without asking me or telling me about this event that he/she is involved.

I happen to chance upon it today. This thing is on going for 3 more days, and has page has been created for 7 days or more. If i didnt chance on the page i wouldn't have known and will be in the dark.

What i've done so far for now: dropped he/she a fb msg and also texted him/her. He/she just replied my text(means he/she acknowledged that i know)

Seeking advise what can be done. Its very upsetting and quite frustrating when people use the photo you taken without permission for something quite major nor am I credited or mentioned. I mean its basic courtesy if you all can understand. He/she could have just ask or tell me. Thank you very much everyone. Help!

Thank you in advance!
I'm really sorry if this topic is irrelevant for the forum.

The sad thing is that we were friends when i took the photos. Is like that moment you see that scenery and you can visualise that it would be awesome and you must capture it so you ask your friend to freeze that you can capture it. its just a normal day hang out with that friend. Unfortunately, due to some issues way before this particular incident that happen now we decided that we cant no longer with friends. That person used that picture as profile pic on facebook before. i approach that person and ask him/her to remove it and change it to something else and so that person change it to something else. And now that stranger is using that same photo i took(which is the one he/she used before as profile pic) as his/her election for his/her degree programme to elect as an event coordinator. Honestly speaking as an event coordinator it is basic courtesy to just at least ask for permission.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you do not much of a case here as you do not own the raw copy of the file. You have no way of proving u took the shot.

It's like, I go for a vacation and get a random local to get a touristy shot of me with the country's landmark. If later this photo get used for smth similar to what u have mentioned, do I say 'credits to some stanger'?

My advice to u is to just forget it. It would be nice of him or her to credit u, but if he or she doesn't, so be it. U have effectively given away ur rights to that photo by clicking the shutter of someone else's equipment.

That's what I think.

Hi TS

Need not be too upset over this. There will be many more where your friends asked you to shoot for them and the images thereafter are uploaded in FB etc.

Which do you value more... friends or rights

What do you want out of it anyway? Payment? Recognition?

TS, the question is, how can you prove that the photo is shot by you? If you want to enforce your copyright, then the subject can also enforce his rights as a model. Did you get him to sign a model release?

This is not a big case where a lot of money is involved or income loss. My advice is to just let it be.

In my opinion... there really is nothing you could do. Just be happy that someone actually think your photo is good. Do not get upset over this sort of things.

Bluntly put, TS, you merely pressed the shutter at best. The onus is on YOU to prove you firstly pressed the shutter, and secondly it was your expertise that made the photograph what it is.

As the others have said, you can't do either because for starters, the picture was taken not with your camera but someone else's. So really you have absolutely no case.

And again i repeat what another person said here. Which do you value more. Your rights (really this is such a petty thing i won't even call it rights) or your friendship.

The sad thing is that we were friends when i took the photos. Is like that moment you see that scenery and you can visualise that it would be awesome and you must capture it so you ask your friend to freeze that you can capture it. its just a normal day hang out with that friend. Unfortunately, due to some issues way before this particular incident that happen now we decided that we cant no longer with friends. That person used my piture as profile pic before. i approach that person and ask him to remove it and change it to something else and so that person change it to something else. And now that stranger is using that same photo i took(which is the one he/she used before as profile pic) as his/her election for his/her degree programme to elect as an event coordinator. Honestly speaking as an event coordinator it is basic courtesy to just at least ask for permission.

Last edited:
The sad thing is that we were friends when i took the photos. Is like that moment you see that scenery and you can visualise that it would be awesome and you must capture it so you ask your friend to freeze that you can capture it. its just a normal day hang out with that friend. Unfortunately, due to some issues way before this particular incident that happen now we decided that we cant no longer with friends. That person used my piture as profile pic before. i approach that person and ask him to remove it and change it to something else and so that person change it to something else. And now that stranger is using that same photo i took(which is the one he/she used before as profile pic) as his/her election for his/her degree programme to elect as an event coordinator. Honestly speaking as an event coordinator it is basic courtesy to just at least ask for permission.

Just move on la. Life is full of ups and downs. This is nothing much compared to what you will experience your entire life. Let it go... give yourself a break from these negative energy. Go out and shoot better pictures.

basic regconition. he/she just replied in a very cocky way that i used his/her sister camera, he/her memory card and its a picture of so technically he/she get to use it. The point is i told him/her to take it down as facebook dp before now this thing happen. Don't think can payment also, he/she is using it to publicise him/herself.:(

I just want to know my rights as a photographer. so i won't make this same "mistake" again.

What do you want out of it anyway? Payment? Recognition?

Last edited:
Honestly nothing to be gained going toe to toe with your friends or former friends. Ultimately sorry to say this but it can be seen as you are too "geh gao". Not saying you are but seems it's seen as so. Like what dd123 said, move on. Improve your photographs so people will WANT your name credited to their photographs

basic regconition. he/she just replied in a very cocky way that i used his/her sister camera, he/her memory card and its a picture of so technically he/she get to use it. The point is i told him/her to take it down as facebook dp before now this thing happen. Don't think can payment also, he/she is using it to publicise him/herself.:(

I just want to know my rights as a photographer. so i won't make this same "mistake" again.

Learn to have a "wider chest"... forgive more, think ill less, you will live happier and longer.

You can only talk about rights, when you can prove that the shot is yours. Without the RAWs or other evidence, I believe you have no case to fight on.

It's as said earlier by Silvermoon, if you happen to help a then-no-so-famous-person use that person's camera take a photo on a holiday, when that fellow used the photo for something similar, you will want to claim credit?

My personal take, close your eyes and walk away... There are better things for you to spend your time on.

Honestly nothing to be gained going toe to toe with your friends or former friends. Ultimately sorry to say this but it can be seen as you are too "geh gao". Not saying you are but seems it's seen as so. Like what dd123 said, move on. Improve your photographs so people will WANT your name credited to their photographs
i get the move on part. thanks you. just want to really know what do we or i as the person the pressed the shutter button have rights on the picture we taken and the limitations. or do anyone knows what are the copyrights issues, would just like to find out so in future if anything similar (touchwood) happen to me or anyone it can be real useful too ;)

I don't want bore or waste anyone's time purposefully here yea. >< Hope whoever reads this thread can understand my thoughts and intentions.

Good day everyone!

I am now wondering if the waiter in a restaurant in Singapore that helped me shoot a photograph of me and my wife will pop up questioning why I never credit him..

i get the move on part. thanks you. just want to really know what do we or i as the person the pressed the shutter button have rights on the picture we taken and the limitations. or do anyone knows what are the copyrights issues, would just like to find out so in future if anything similar (touchwood) happen to me or anyone it can be real useful too ;)

I don't want bore or waste anyone's time purposefully here yea. >< Hope whoever reads this thread can understand my thoughts and intentions.

Good day everyone!

If it's such a big thing to you you should clarify it on the spot when shooting the photograph. also have ready contracts to say that on xx date at xxx time this photograph of xxx is shot by yourself and the subject acknowledges that all rights belong to you. Also start catering for space in all your bags for such contracts.

I press the shutter for a friend, they use the pics any which way they want, I don't care. It's not my name, or me, or my close ones who are in the picture. I press it as a favour to a friend and once done, I don't ask for anything in return. It is a favour. Rights? Never crossed my mind if I were in this situation. Credit? Nah, not in this case too. Limitations? None whatsoever because the camera isn't mine, the concept isn't mine, the model isn't someone I engaged. So ultimately, there are no limits because it's not my photograph in the first place. Again, brutally said, I just press the button.

Good day everyone!

I am now wondering if the waiter in a restaurant in Singapore that helped me shoot a photograph of me and my wife will pop up questioning why I never credit him..

I hope you have a good lawyer when that happens. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.