Help Needed Regarding Manual Focusing Lens

iosephos

Jun 17, 2011
Hi all,

I am new to DSLR and am currently using mf lens that my dad owns - the body is a fuji s5 pro. Though I have a 18-55mm vr kit lens, I somehow always prefer to use the mf lens. I have some queries and will like to seek your valuable opinions about them.

Shooting Moving Objects
While shooting static object is not so much of a problem (as far as focusing is concerned), I do not have much success, if any at all, with moving objects. Recently, I was in a garden using a Nikon 75-150mm E series and after taking some shots of butterflies that were not flying around, I very much wanted to capture a pair of butterflies in mid air. As you would have probably guessed, it didn't work out. The main problem I encountered was how the butterflies will no longer be in focus by the time I attempt to focus...it was also very difficult to anticipate their movements. Hence, I will like to know if there is any technique that can be applied to address this problem? I guess practising more is one option but how do I go about practising it with the correct technique? Or am I simply too ambitious?

Nikkor 28mm F2.8 AIS vs Nikon 35mm F2.5 E Series
I have been using both of these 2 lens and now face the problem of liking both of them. I really like the sharpness of the 28mm lens even at f2.8, plus it's handling is good (solid feel). On the other hand, I also really like how light and compact the 35mm lens is even though it is not as sharp as the 28mm when wide open. For the framing wise (is that what it is called?) I feel that the 28mm can have the slight edge when I need the wider angle; however the 35mm's field of view (?) has its own charm and possess a certain resemblance to the human eye- well, just my own feel.

The problem is I am going overseas to study and am limited in what I can bring over. I have already decided to bring my 18-55mm vr and 75-150mm e series and I will like to bring either the 28mm or 35mm along. Because their focal length is really close and I like both of them, I will really like to seek your opinions on which I should bring as my experience is really limited and I suppose there may be greater difference and implication that I know not of?

I am not planning to simply use the kit lens because at 28mm or 35mm, the aperture is around f4.5 to f5 i think...plus it's clumsier than having a prime lens on the body.

Thank you very much for reading and for your helpful advice!

Last edited:
Hi, perhaps clumsy wasn't the best choice of word to use...but I just felt that it takes up more space in my bag when I wish to bring my camera around as compared to having a prime lens mounted. Comparing my 35mm prime vs the kit lens at 35mm, the kit lens is twice its length.

Hi all,

I am new to DSLR and am currently using mf lens that my dad owns - the body is a fuji s5 pro. Though I have a 18-55mm vr kit lens, I somehow always prefer to use the mf lens. I have some queries and will like to seek your valuable opinions about them.

Shooting Moving Objects
While shooting static object is not so much of a problem (as far as focusing is concerned), I do not have much success, if any at all, with moving objects. Recently, I was in a garden using a Nikon 75-150mm E series and after taking some shots of butterflies that were not flying around, I very much wanted to capture a pair of butterflies in mid air. As you would have probably guessed, it didn't work out. The main problem I encountered was how the butterflies will no longer be in focus by the time I attempt to focus...it was also very difficult to anticipate their movements. Hence, I will like to know if there is any technique that can be applied to address this problem? I guess practising more is one option but how do I go about practising it with the correct technique? Or am I simply too ambitious?

Nikkor 28mm F2.8 AIS vs Nikon 35mm F2.5 E Series
I have been using both of these 2 lens and now face the problem of liking both of them. I really like the sharpness of the 28mm lens even at f2.8, plus it's handling is good (solid feel). On the other hand, I also really like how light and compact the 35mm lens is even though it is not as sharp as the 28mm when wide open. For the framing wise (is that what it is called?) I feel that the 28mm can have the slight edge when I need the wider angle; however the 35mm's field of view (?) has its own charm and possess a certain resemblance to the human eye- well, just my own feel.

The problem is I am going overseas to study and am limited in what I can bring over. I have already decided to bring my 18-55mm vr and 75-150mm e series and I will like to bring either the 28mm or 35mm along. Because their focal length is really close and I like both of them, I will really like to seek your opinions on which I should bring as my experience is really limited and I suppose there may be greater difference and implication that I know not of?

I am not planning to simply use the kit lens because at 28mm or 35mm, the aperture is around f4.5 to f5 i think...plus it's clumsier than having a prime lens on the body.

Thank you very much for reading and for your helpful advice!

You can anticipate where they are going to be and prefocus at that point. Burst when they are nearly in focus.

The lenses are not that big, you can definitely find space to bring all of it out. If you wish to have something smaller, then you should be looking at a rangefinder or a m43 system.

learn DOF ,manipulate the aperture and also how to estimate based on distance.

for me, its more of an approximation and some guesswork, which u can gain from experience.

Hi everyone, thank you for the help. I will take note and try it again.