Status
Not open for further replies.

icestrike

May 31, 2005
West
captured-memories.deviantart.com
HELP needed!!
any software free to download
to retrive back overwritten or deleted files/documents in harddrive?

pls let me know
thank you so much.

There are many consumer tools available to do this, but if it's really important, then I recommend you don't experiment with those tools on your harddisk, and instead send it to a professional data recovering company.

HELP needed!!
any software free to download
to retrive back overwritten or deleted files/documents in harddrive?

pls let me know
thank you so much.

Normally, software can recover deleted documents, but not overwritten ones. However, those professional forensensic people can recover data even if the harddisk has been formatted many times. If you get a professional to do it, you will have to pay through the nose.

If the data is not that important, I suggest you mourn the loss, and then move on.

Normally, software can recover deleted documents, but not overwritten ones. However, those professional forensensic people can recover data even if the harddisk has been formatted many times. If you get a professional to do it, you will have to pay through the nose.

If the data is not that important, I suggest you mourn the loss, and then move on.

Through the nose is an understatement :) Those who can read overwritten data use electron microscopes to read etches on the hard disk platter. Probably meaningless when you consider how much you have to pay to get that done but.. you don't be able to use your dark disk again after they examine it :p

Through the nose is an understatement :) Those who can read overwritten data use electron microscopes to read etches on the hard disk platter. Probably meaningless when you consider how much you have to pay to get that done but.. you don't be able to use your dark disk again after they examine it :p

Even those professional data recovery people (not IT forensic) cost a bomb.

My friend's HDD failed. Out of pure stupidity, he moved his old HDD to his wife's PC, thinking that his wife doesn't do anything important. When the HDD failed, his wife made him recover the data. No prize for guessing who's the boss there... So, he brought it to a data recovery centre, who charged him $200 just to diagnose the HDD. They concluded that they could recover most of the data for a fee of $3000. It was then that his wife agreed to mourn the loss and move on.

I think these data recovery centres (or at least the real ones), have clean rooms. So they can open the HDD, move the media of the damaged HDD to a another media reader, and recover the data. So, if your HDD's drive arm/head is damaged (which is probably the cause since it is a mechanical part), they can recover most of the data. However, I don't think they will recover over-written data.

Moral of the story is... backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.