Help Needed : Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Punkie

Hi guys. Got this little problem here. Ok imagine this scene. 2000Hrs and background is quite brightly lit with Neons and Signs. So natural if i try to take a portrait of my wife with that backdround my wife will be underexposed rite? Not only that. Most of the time her image comes out blur and the background very sharp. How to rectify that? Oh yah i forgot to add that its extended exposure times i am talking about. No flash used.

Also, I understand that my camera doesnt have selective autofocus points so wat if say i wanna compose my picture in such a way that i need the focus to be in one corner instead of the usual center? Please kindly advice. Thanks

use slow synchro flash for taking ppl against dark background

for the focusing, use the half press shutter method to focus lock ur subject, then shift the cam to the view u want to compose and shoot

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
use slow synchro flash for taking ppl against dark background

for the focusing, use the half press shutter method to focus lock ur subject, then shift the cam to the view u want to compose and shoot

Ok thank you very much my friend. So that means one doesnt need a camera that has selective focusing point to actually be able to take that kinda picture rite? Thanks i will try that soon. Appreciated.

Originally posted by Punkie

Ok thank you very much my friend. So that means one doesnt need a camera that has selective focusing point to actually be able to take that kinda picture rite? Thanks i will try that soon. Appreciated.

Hi Punkie,

Selective AE/AF points is a good feature to have but not a necessity. For your shooting problem, try using slow sync flash. What it does is essentially let the camera fires the flash at the foreground subject (in this case, your wife) to exposure it correctly, and then uses long exposure to take in the background. Similar to all long exposures, you'll need to use tripod or at least some kind of bracing on your camera to avoid camera shake. The subject at the foreground should also avoid moving during the shot.

Originally posted by ziploc

Hi Punkie,

Selective AE/AF points is a good feature to have but not a necessity. For your shooting problem, try using slow sync flash. What it does is essentially let the camera fires the flash at the foreground subject (in this case, your wife) to exposure it correctly, and then uses long exposure to take in the background. Similar to all long exposures, you'll need to use tripod or at least some kind of bracing on your camera to avoid camera shake. The subject at the foreground should also avoid moving during the shot.

Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to explain to me. Very valuable info you've provided. I will try it out soon. Appreciated. :)

punkie : when taking at slow shutter speeds, its very impt that your subject is totally motionless, the slightest move can result in blurness. I kena before too! esp really slow shutter speeds like close to 1 sec, diff for subjects not to move slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.