HELP Needed PLEASE.... Curved shadow in middle of photo taken

galaxynote

Jan 18, 2013
West Singapore
Dear All,

I went to the AirShow and took some photos using my Canon 7D with Sigma 28-300mm lense but I get a light shadow in the middle of all the photos that I took. Could somebody enlighten me why such thing will happen please. When I switch over to Canon 10-22mm lense and the output is ok...

Sample photos attached below...

Somebody PLEASE HELP and enlighten PLEASE...

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers!!!

$IMG_77552315704831.jpg

$IMG_77557269222225.jpg

$IMG_77412191608947.jpg

Looks like hair. Have you checked the lens or the camera sensor?

Looks like hair. Have you checked the lens or the camera sensor?

First you need a cheap LED torchlight with a single white light led with a yellow bottom not those
useless white led arrays unless it is yellow at the bottom.A small one with AA battery is less than $5 at neighbourhood hardware shop. One magnifying glass.Shine through the lens and sensor.PS the leds with yellow bottoms are the ultra bright light output,
very powerful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxshade
It's quite broad and blur, so I don't think that whatever it caused is sitting directly at the sensor. If changing the lens has solved it then check the rear element of the lens. Could be a hair or lint there.

Reactions: Foxshade
Thanks Guys for your advise, I will take a look at the lense and the camera sensor. I have a few lense and that only appear on my Sigma and another Samyang fish eye. If I use canon lense like 10-22mm or 18-135mm then that shadow I don't see it there....

Very strange...

Thanks Guys for your advise, I will take a look at the lense and the camera sensor. I have a few lense and that only appear on my Sigma and another Samyang fish eye. If I use canon lense like 10-22mm or 18-135mm then that shadow I don't see it there....

Very strange...

Quite sure that come from the lenses. Give a good look at all your lenses and a good blow. Should clear all the artifacts!

set your camera on aperture mode, using f22,
open a note pad in your computer monitor, make it full screen,
shoot the white monitor screen with all your camera lenses, fill the frame with the white screen.
than load the all images into your image viewer programme and examine the images.

you will know where is this "hair" come from.

The image captured by the sensor is upside-down and inverted to that seen on the LCD.
If the artifact is seen in the top right quadrant of the LCD, it will be on the bottom left of the sensor.

FOD. clean gear

Use a blower to blow your sensor upside down first.

Use a blower to blow your sensor upside down first.

Most people don't know the proper method to clean. Blower bulb normally comes with a brush,
use it to dislodge bigger and heavier dust particles but do it with camera upside down
and poke from below gently without pumping so dust drop down due to gravity. After this remove brush and blow but of course this will only blow fine particles somewhere else so it's not a perfect solution.

Last edited:
Most people don't know the proper method to clean. Blower bulb normally comes with a brush,
use it to dislodge bigger and heavier dust particles but do it with camera upside down
and poke from below gently without pumping so dust drop down due to gravity. After this remove brush and blow but of course this will only blow fine particles somewhere else so it's not a perfect solution.

Sensor also use brush?

Hi Guys,

Last night I manage to figure out the problem. There's a mysterious hair or fur stuck right in front of the camera sensor. Managed to remove it and tested ok already....

Thank you all for your advices...

Cheers...