Help Needed, on what camera to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnessa

Aug 28, 2009
Hi, guys. I am seeking help, as im very sure about cameras. But i am planning to get my Significant Other, a Digital Camera or a Bridge Camera that is good and affordable for our
One Year Anniversary. Decided not to get him a SLR , as he only uses it for casual
events. There are too many brands outside, and too many shops selling cameras.

So i would like to ask, if there are any good & affordable Digital Camera or Bridge Camera
brands that you guys are able to recommend to me. How much it costs, and/or where
to get the cameras. ie. A specific shop, that does not overcharge you.

I thankyou very much for your help.
&would greatly appreciate all comments / suggestions. TIA.:)

"....Decided not to get him a SLR , as he only uses it for casual events."

Get him a Full Frame SLR then ... he will need it for the serious stuff :)

....or just get him lenses ...... does he have anything with a red band or is all white ? If not, get one of these and you will be greatly loved (what SLR brand is he using now?)

Last edited:
Oh, nono i mean i decided against getting him a DSLR as, he will only be using the camera for casual events.He's not using, professionally, so my friends who uses professionally, adviced against the idea of getting him a SLR. xD cos SLR is not recommended if only used to take casual shots mah :)

so i am only getting him a good digital cam, or something close to a SLR, which is a bridge camera. Hms, budget wise, Im not sure how much a good normal digital cam will cost averagely. I don't need something too fancy or something with too many functions. Just one up to date casual camera with all the necessary functions. prolly 300++? I know a bridge would cost more tho, so for bridge prolly abt 500+ ish.

I need recommendations on brands n places to get xD hms, sim lim sq?

thankyou so much guys !!!! ^^

Last edited:
Oh, nono i mean i decided against getting him a DSLR as, he will only be using the camera for casual events.He's not using, professionally, so my friends who uses professionally, adviced against the idea of getting him a SLR. xD
cos SLR is not recommended if only used to take casual shots mah

The converse is the trend nowadays:)

For 500+, you can try the Fujifilm 200EXR, just top up a bit

"....Decided not to get him a SLR , as he only uses it for casual events."

Get him a Full Frame SLR then ... he will need it for the serious stuff :)

....or just get him lenses ...... does he have anything with a red band or is all white ? If not, get one of these and you will be greatly loved (what SLR brand is he using now?)

:dunno:she already mentioned she was not going to get him a SLR,,,,,,,so what is this reply going to achieve:think:

The converse is the trend nowadays:)

For 500+, you can try the Fujifilm 200EXR, just top up a bit

Oh, whats the Converse? A normal camm? ><

:dunno:she already mentioned she was not going to get him a SLR,,,,,,,so what is this reply going to achieve:think:

Haha, nah. I think he misinterpreted what i was trying to say! hehe :)

Read my previous quote;)

Oh, its an SLR? xD i thot SLR, is like 1k ish. haha.
but no necessary right.. i thot slr only for people who want to take photos professionally.
haha, i know just top up abit , hms but would it be a waste if get SLR, esp when he's
only using it for casual use? like normal pics when go holiday etc.

Take a stroll down Orchard Road, I guarantee you will see at least 3 DSLRs

Question is, what will he be shooting?
need zoom?
need water and dust protection?
Compacts come in many different packages now, so best to be specific as to what's the use.
With your budget the variety is huge.

Take a stroll down Orchard Road, I guarantee you will see at least 3 DSLRs

haha. so you suggest i get him a SLR?:)

Question is, what will he be shooting?
need zoom?
need water and dust protection?
Compacts come in many different packages now, so best to be specific as to what's the use.
With your budget the variety is huge.

Well, he's using it for normal shots lor. Not professionally. Just whenevr need to use, then he will use. For example. Birthdays. Or Travelling. During events like these you take pictures mah right. Or just any random day whenever he needs it la. :)

I guess, as for functions. Zoom quite necessary for most up to date new normal compact cams right. And those touch screen functions etc, also for scenery..but all these should alr be in a gd cam..no?

>< sorry but nt very good with cams. haha his cam spoilt..so im just trying to get some help here to get him a nice one. xD Because there are too many cams out there, i dont know which is good or bad..a salesman out there wil talk you into buying the most ex..but the most ex does not mean the best..and also they tend to overprice.

err ok... whats his level of interest in photography in the first place?

stores like Cathay Photo, Alan Photo, MS Color, Lords, Paris Silk are known to be fair in pricing and the standard freebies that come with a purchase ..... or use Search function above to search 'camera shops'

There are many sites reviewing cameras today. Many here look for news and product information (supposedly unbiased) at such places like dpreview , http://steves-digicams.com/

Surf around the Brand specific sections of this forum.... lots of good info specific to that brand

p/s best is to find a camera that both of you like AND with a service center that is convenient to get to for you/him just in case you need to send it in to fix something

Last edited:
Gender will determine the color of the camera. Ladies, pink, red, gold. Avoid green color. Choose according to her birth stone color or some color that will remind of "both of you" or some good memories. *Important: color of what your partner likes and not what you want.
For men, conservative color, black, silver.

Casual events? Does size of camera matters. That determine between a pocketable vs prosumer grade like G10, SX. So that helps reduce the options. If the person take image quality very serious, then those cheap models will be out. Camera phones may not be a good idea if he/she finds it difficult to port data over from old phone/pda.

If he or she has a camera, you can opt to get a handheld projector or perhaps the latest compact camera Nikon S1000PJ compact camera that comes with build-in projector. But overall depends on the personal interest. Or coupled with a 7" digital photo album that can be placed in the house.

I don't advise from engraving anything on it as camera electronics don't last.

What ed9119 stated in the previous post is correct
Also, as others had stated, since you do not mentioned a budget and a brand, it is too broad to suggest.

Before my suggestion, I will rule out a few option
1. I'm suggesting a compact camera, with manual functions. Not a 'prosumer' or bridge, as this could be 'big', and he may not like 'big' cam.

I would suggest a few, though
1. If want zoom, Panasonic TZ series is accpetable. Canon's only compact and long zoom is the SX200 (though SX110 is 10X zoom, but not wide angle)
2. If want good image quality but don't mind budget, Canon G10 (~>$700) and Panasonic Lumix LX3 (~$660).
3. If want slim compact build (those can easily put into pocket), you may want to wait for the Canon new S90

Note that I'm suggesting more Canon, as I familiar with it.

Do read these
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q209grouplongzoom/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/

Two reputable brands:

Take your pick; from $219 to $969.

http://www.sony.com.sg/productcategory/di-digital-still-camera

Take your pick; $249 to $799.

http://www.nikon.com.sg/products.php?categoryid=10

Gender will determine the color of the camera. Ladies, pink, red, gold. Avoid green color. Choose according to her birth stone color or some color that will remind of "both of you" or some good memories. *Important: color of what your partner likes and not what you want.
For men, conservative color, black, silver.

Casual events? Does size of camera matters. That determine between a pocketable vs prosumer grade like G10, SX. So that helps reduce the options. If the person take image quality very serious, then those cheap models will be out. Camera phones may not be a good idea if he/she finds it difficult to port data over from old phone/pda.

If he or she has a camera, you can opt to get a handheld projector or perhaps the latest compact camera Nikon S1000PJ compact camera that comes with build-in projector. But overall depends on the personal interest. Or coupled with a 7" digital photo album that can be placed in the house.

I don't advise from engraving anything on it as camera electronics don't last.

err ok... whats his level of interest in photography in the first place?

stores like Cathay Photo, Alan Photo, MS Color, Lords, Paris Silk are known to be fair in pricing and the standard freebies that come with a purchase ..... or use Search function above to search 'camera shops'

There are many sites reviewing cameras today. Many here look for news and product information (supposedly unbiased) at such places like dpreview , http://steves-digicams.com/

Surf around the Brand specific sections of this forum.... lots of good info specific to that brand

p/s best is to find a camera that both of you like AND with a service center that is convenient to get to for you/him just in case you need to send it in to fix something

Thanks everyone for your opinion. have noted down camera models & shops. And will enquire!! You guys have been a great help!!:)

On a side note, if you are considering a PnS or Bridge-camera due to budget, you could actually check out the BnS (buy and sell) section of the forums, there are some 2nd hand camera deals, which wouldn't cost more than 600, Like a D40 + lens. Just treat it like a Bridge-camera and never remove the lens =P

If your significant other is a tech junkie, a DSLR would be quite a surprise! I'm just thinking outside the box! If you do intend to get a used DSLR, remember to ask for help also in case u get chopped from dishonest seller!

kekeke I think this is an intelligent lady.... she is quite steadfast about not getting him a DSLR...

if she gets him a DSLR, and he gets poisoned, SHE might be downgraded to 2nd wife behind the camera equiptment :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.