Help needed on shooting in dark place or stage performance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyyde

Oct 3, 2002
Malaysia
www.techgamer.com
I am using Ixus 330 and it seems that this camera can't seems to work well when taking pics during concert or stage pergormance or even in dark place..... even when I go near to the stage..... the pics turns out to be very dark and blurry...... I put ISO on auto, and tried using the auto mode, exposure compensation and such but still can't get a good pics.....

disabling the flash is a lot brighter (due to increase shutter speed I suppose), but the pics becomes blur......

any idea how I will be able to take good stage performance pics with my camera?

the blur pics is normally during zoom in mode..... in wide mode, its okay, but the object is too far away.....

will a external flash light helps here? pls help me!!! thanx!

You will probably need a tripod to stablise the camera for a long exposure (since it's dark). Also, a flash is highly recommended since you mentioned using another flash in slave mode in another thread. ;)

hmmm.. is there a P mode on the ixus 330? if so, set to that and then set iso higher to say 200 or 400, and on the flash as well.

disabling flash shd set the shutter slower, meaning u need a v.steady hand when taking the shot. usually if go below 1/40s, camera shake liao, thatz why pic blur

for such a small camera, flash usually not strong enuff, so if u zoom in flash may not reach so far. anw try first method and see how

:cool:

what is P mode?

I thought the blur pics during non-flash mode is dure to the performers moving around...... its actually because of hand shake?

There is no P mode in Ixus 330. There only solution for your blurry pic for dark shots is to get a tripod. I know it looks cartoon with a small cam on a tripod, but the tripod mount on the bottom left corner, of ixus 330, is not there for no reason. Go get a tripod! It is a mandatory accessory in photography unless you r using lenses with IS. :cool:

For such performance, you might not have the space and time to set up your tripod, monopod will come in handy. :)

I shoot theatre quite often...

this is the usual working condition

1) no flash... flash is a BIG NO NO in all stage performances

2) iso 800 MINIMUM, 1600 preferrebbaly... at time might need to push it to 3200

3) a bright lens is a neccessary requirement, f2.8

for your case try this,
set iso to the higest you can, set camera to manual and set aperture to highest you can, set shutter speed to say 1/30 usually you won't have enough light anway so you'll need to use PS to touch it up later

use a tripod if you can

what kind of condition are you shooting in ?

some blurness may be unevitable if you are not using flash. Though flash gives sharp image, the ambience might be destroyed by the white light. But since it's it is stage photography, some blurness is really quite okay as it is just the characteristic of night photography.

Push your film as recommended by rueyloon and seize moments. It's never a guarantee in photography. If shooting is crucial, I suggest you to have 2 cameras (one with light and one with high speed film). That should solve your doubts. You can never be fully prepared for anything to happen. So take things easy pal and goodluck.

those performance with all the spot light changing colour, something like disco lighting......

my cam can't change so many things.... I think out of all those things u mention, I can only change ISO.....

hmmm...ixus 330 have manual (M) mode or not? if so, then as ruey mentioned, set iso and aperture to max. shutter speed not slower than 1/40 if u want to hand hold. otherwise u need a tripod.

togu, no need monopod ($$$) for ixus 330 lah. do wat a cheapskate like me do, fold all 3 legs of my tripod together to form a monopod!:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Please guys, ixus 330 has a max ISO of 400...

Ixus Manual mode can only change exposure compensation, ISO.... can't change aperture and shutter speed.....

In this case, use a film camera... buy iso1600/3200 film

I did it with my minolta riva zoom 28-70 / oly mju-II.

Even though my c4040 have f1.8 and iso400 still not enough!!

:cry:

looks like u have reached the limit of ur camera! u've outgrown it! time to get a new n better one!:D

alternative is, get a booster flash, the type that detects ur in-camera flash, then fire its own flash. but if got other shootters beside u w flash, can't imagine wat'll happen... also exposure can be dificult to gauge

I wanted to get one.... can anyone recommend one that works well with my camera and also how much does it cost? I just need one which is not too ex.... maybe around $100-150.....

looking for a flash ? togu have one for sale..
but if you're really taking stage photos... flash is a big NO NO !

Originally posted by rueyloon
looking for a flash ? togu have one for sale..
but if you're really taking stage photos... flash is a big NO NO !

Ya.. Flash is going to get you banned from the theatre. ;) Unless you sneak in during their rehearsals and take pictures while they are rehearsing, full dress.

Using ISO 1600/3200 film is the best, I guess, when taking pictures during the big day. no flash, of course.

Originally posted by Poledra

Ya.. Flash is going to get you banned from the theatre. ;) Unless you sneak in during their rehearsals and take pictures while they are rehearsing, full dress.

Using ISO 1600/3200 film is the best, I guess, when taking pictures during the big day. no flash, of course.

I shoot theatre professionally, if you shoot with a flash, at anytime... it is a big NO NO.

shooting even at reheasal with flash is a big NO NO.

there should be minimal distractions for the players on stage..........

Originally posted by rueyloon

I shoot theatre professionally, if you shoot with a flash, at anytime... it is a big NO NO.

shooting even at reheasal with flash is a big NO NO.

there should be minimal distractions for the players on stage..........

I guess they're more relaxed at school....

Originally posted by Snowcrash
In this case, use a film camera... buy iso1600/3200 film

I did it with my minolta riva zoom 28-70 / oly mju-II.

Even though my c4040 have f1.8 and iso400 still not enough!!

got 3200 color film?

Status
Not open for further replies.