Help needed on shooting BasketBall match

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkhoo

Nov 13, 2004
Hi guys,
I'll be helping my school cover the basketball finals very soon and i need help!!! I've never done a sports event before, so are there some pointers that i should look out for? eg, what to shoot, who to shoot, how to shoot? My kit consist of a 400D, tamron 17-50 2.8, 70-200 f4 IS and a 580ex. The game will be held in an indoor court, with some sunlight (so the teacher tells me). Will the flash be required? I would also be covering the prize presentation after the game. Advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

I think you would like to add a monopod if you are planning to use the 70-200 for the entire game.

Reasons for that is you won't have to "fully support" the 70-200 all the time. And it will make your panning shots much easier but unless you prefer handhold for more mobility? Or handholding is nothing new to you ;)

I've done some unofficial futsal and netball shoots and I wish I owned a monopod!

And to be shooting basketball, which is a fast moving sport you got to be focused on the game from the time the referee blew the wistle...Again from my experience shooting some futsal, I do missed some of the "golden moment" when they scored as it happens soooo fast! And I was just like...adjusting my seat!

There might be other tips for others to add in...and enjoy your shooting :D

A flash will be useful in this case and do watch the WB since it's indoor.

i dun think flash can be use during the tournment.

I think you would like to add a monopod if you are planning to use the 70-200 for the entire game.

Reasons for that is you won't have to "fully support" the 70-200 all the time. And it will make your panning shots much easier but unless you prefer handhold for more mobility? Or handholding is nothing new to you ;)

I've done some unofficial futsal and netball shoots and I wish I owned a monopod!

And to be shooting basketball, which is a fast moving sport you got to be focused on the game from the time the referee blew the wistle...Again from my experience shooting some futsal, I do missed some of the "golden moment" when they scored as it happens soooo fast! And I was just like...adjusting my seat!

There might be other tips for others to add in...and enjoy your shooting :D

I don't have a monopod, tirpod maybe? But i'm used to handholding my 70-200. Its not the 2.8 version so its not too heavy. Focused since the start of the game?? Oh no... I have to cover 2 games!!!!

A flash will be useful in this case and do watch the WB since it's indoor.

I don't think i can direct flash the bballers. :nono: It will blind them when they are in the middle of their game. So i doubt i'll be using flash during the game. Btw, if i set my WB to auto, is it ok?

Thanks for the advice guys. By the way, should i just stay at the hoop area, prefocus and wait for action to come my way, or should i follow the ball? I think staying at one spot should be the way to shoot right? I'm just afraid of not getting enough shuttle speed even at f4, iso 1600...

i shot an IVP match for my school, and it wasnt very impressive..

main reasons why:
- how close would you be? I thought i would be pretty far away, so i got a 70-200 and a 135. ended up i was right by the sidelines and it was too tight for both these lenses. i ended up using my 50mm all the way.

- iso was maxed out at 1600 so noise was quite bad

- missed alot of action shots cos it was only 3fps so i only saw them jumping, and landing. no shooting or layups. haha

some suggestions: 28-35mm is great if you're camping below the hoops. wide-enough for you to see and anticipate the action, and cropping gives you great full-body shots. i wasn't using a flash cos i didnt want to disrupt the game, so i was mostly shooting wide-open for fast shutter speeds. maybe a long lens would be good for catching expressions and head-and-shoulder shots of the players and the spectators too.

good luck for your shoot!

I don't think i can direct flash the bballers. :nono: It will blind them when they are in the middle of their game. So i doubt i'll be using flash during the game. Btw, if i set my WB to auto, is it ok?

You may need to test. Think you'll need custom WB. If you do not use the flash, the images may not be sharp due to the fast motion and pace of the game. I will be playing basketball with some friends at an open court tonite, you may want to pop by and test to see if the results are ok. Of course our pace will be much slower given our age and agility.

don't think that you should use flash in such games. however, that would almost necessiate a faster lense than the f4 that you currently have - still doable, but you have to be more restricted in your shooting... wide open with ISO800 or greater.

usually, the photographers don't moving around a lot. but there will be timeouts and breaks, you can take these opportunities to reposition. most of the action would be at the basket, so no need to sit at half-court. however, there is no "one" ideal position in the half-court... whatever position you take, you would be able to see something well, but blocked off from seeing something else (or seeing the butt of someone else).

think no need for a monopod - don't really need it for support, as you don't hold the camera up all the time. don't need it for handshake as you already have IS and your shutter speed should be more governed by the bball players movement - you might find it more of a hinderance than it helping.

lastly, have a look at the pictures posted in the NBA website. that can give you some idea of what types of shot you might want to lookout for... and from there, plan how to take it with the equipment you have.

good luck and have fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.